Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrdwong
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Bricked my phone

Hi, I think I'm in trouble. I was trying to flash a custom ROM, but it kept hanging at startup and wouldn't go anywhere and so I decided to flash 4.2.2, but I did something wrong. So I went into TWRP and it asks for my password. My phone was encrypted and so I entered that password and it didn't work. I tried to factory reset it through TWRP, but it failed because it couldn't unencrypt the data. Is there a default password if my encryption password was lost or is there a way to turn off encryption through fastboot. Basically when I try to start my phone, it just shows me a blank screen. Is it possible that I erased the encryption password and I have no way of getting the password to be recognized? Help!

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Bricked my phone

You can't do any flashing/hacking/etc after you've encrypted the phone. It's the kiss of death. You'll just need to do a factory image restore following the guide and start from scratch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks 2def. I followed your guide to flash back to factory image (4.2.2) and I had to go the route (through fastboot) of flashing boot.img, system.img, recovery.img, and userdata.img separately. The first ones went fine, but when I got to flashing the userdata.img, it would send, but it would run into an error writing it (something like "Failed: erasedata could not be written"). I tried several times, but no go. Any suggestions?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Userdata may not be so important.. If it isn't present on first boot the OS should populate it automatically.. See how it goes

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I solved one problem, but now I'm hitting another. I must've downloaded the wrong factory image, but anyways, I got the right one (occam-jdq39) and everything was going well until the last step (fastboot-windows -w update image-occam-jdq39.zip). It says error: failed to load 'image-occam-jdq39.zip

I'm so close.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I also noticed on the bootloader screen that it is still encrypted (SECURE BOOT-enabled). After wiping the phone, shouldn't that be disabled?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Figured out why the image-occam-jdq39.zip file wasn't loading. It wasn't in my fastboot directory on my computer. It's going now and I'm crossing my fingers...Google startup screen...(after a long wait) Nexus logo...(even longer excruciating wait)...how long should I be waiting? It's been 10 minutes.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Just an update...I booted into TWRP and then cleared the cache and the other cache and did a factory reset. The phone started up fine. I was even able to flash ParanoidAndroid's ROM and my phone is up and running.
    ConTejas likes this.