1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New N4, have a rooted OTA 4.2.2 question...

So got my N4 today and rooted it. Right after I get the notification for the 4.2.2 OTA update. Do i need to unroot now or can I just install it and be g2g?

Ordered my N4 on Feb 7th, says in Play wallet it wont ship till Feb 27th, but it came 10mins before I left for work today X)

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

Default Re: New N4, have a rooted OTA 4.2.2 question...

Are you on stock recovery or custom recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by Newwt View Post
    So got my N4 today and rooted it. Right after I get the notification for the 4.2.2 OTA update. Do i need to unroot now or can I just install it and be g2g?

Ordered my N4 on Feb 7th, says in Play wallet it wont ship till Feb 27th, but it came 10mins before I left for work today X)
    I had this same question. I recently rooted using toolkit. I'm assuming I could update without problems since I appear to still be running stock 4.2.1, but I want to be sure it's not going to cause any issues as I still am getting used to all the Android/rooting jargon lol. I downloaded Voodoo's OTA RootKeeper as well, in the hopes that when I do upgrade re-establishing the root (if lost) will be easier. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PS: congrats on receiving the device Newwt, I really love mine and hope you do as well!
    Nexus 5/Moto X

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Check the FAQ of my root guide guys... I address how to preserve root through an OTA using OTA Rootkeeper. Also, re-rooting is the same process. I don't recommend toolkits.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Check the FAQ of my root guide guys... I address how to preserve root through an OTA using OTA Rootkeeper. Also, re-rooting is the same process. I don't recommend toolkits.
    Roger that. Thanks. "Give a man a fish..." and all that. Next time I root, or if I need to re-root I'll aim to do it manually.

One other tidbit. I have SuperuserSU (not the Pro version) installed; OTA RootKeeper wants me to "take care that I keep the application and su backup consistent"...I have not fiddled with Superuser or SuperuserSU at all since the rootkit install, so I have no idea if they're consistent by default or not...are they? or does making them so require some type of action on my part?
    Nexus 5/Moto X

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by soma4society View Post
    Roger that. Thanks. "Give a man a fish..." and all that. Next time I root, or if I need to re-root I'll aim to do it manually.

One other tidbit. I have SuperuserSU (not the Pro version) installed; OTA RootKeeper wants me to "take care that I keep the application and su backup consistent"...I have not fiddled with Superuser or SuperuserSU at all since the rootkit install, so I have no idea if they're consistent by default or not...are they? or does making them so require some type of action on my part?
    I believe SuperSU should be version 1.04 if you've allowed it to update from the Play Store.. so open the app and it may ask that you update the root binary, let it do that. Afaik that's all that should mean.
    Thanked by: