Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By digitalslacker
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Using OTA with cwm...update not install??

When the time comes when I download the new OTA (4.2.3) and use CWM is there a way to do just update or does it need to be installed fresh every time? I remember back when I had my Nexus s and I choose install .zip from sd card, it cleared everything installed a fresh rom. I want it to update just like the real OTA method would do.

Thanks
    Last edited by biggyk; 02-21-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Default Re: Using OTA with cwm...update not install??

Sorry, I'm not really following what you're asking.

When the OTA comes, it'll just say your system is ready to be updated, you press update and it'll install it itself. You don't have to use CWM or anything.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

But if I have cwm then I have to manually flash it. I'm asking will it update or format and install so to speak?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Also when flashing a new ota, it auto updates the radio file too right?

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

You will not receive any OTA updates with a custom recovery. You can be unlocked and rooted (usually), but you cannot have a custom recovery (CWM/TWRP). The good news is you don't ever need an OTA, just flash whatever you want official or unofficial.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I already know this guys. Sorry for wording it wrong. What im asking is when I grab the new ota off xda when its available and I use cwm to flash it, will it just update and leave all apps,settings,home screen all the same or will it erase and install?

Quote Originally Posted by biggyk View Post
    I already know this guys. Sorry for wording it wrong. What im asking is when I grab the new ota off xda when its available and I use cwm to flash it, will it just update and leave all apps,settings,home screen all the same or will it erase and install?
    If you do a dirty flash it won't erase those things, but honestly for an update like that you probably want to wipe before flashing. Might end up with problems if you don't.

Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
    ConTejas likes this.

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

Guys, you can still receive OTA updates if you are rooted and even if you have a custom recovery. The OTA will install fine. Problems are only encountered when you have custom kernels, ROMs, modifications etc.

As for the OTA, you will not lose any of your data. It will be as if you have received the OTA update but instead you are just flashing the update manually yourself.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

What about older radio?

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

You will most likely have to flash back the 4.2.2 radio..

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by Rizy7 View Post
    Guys, you can still receive OTA updates if you are rooted and even if you have a custom recovery. The OTA will install fine. Problems are only encountered when you have custom kernels, ROMs, modifications etc.

As for the OTA, you will not lose any of your data. It will be as if you have received the OTA update but instead you are just flashing the update manually yourself.
    That's incorrect, sir. You will not receive OTA updates with a custom recovery installed. I have had CWM and since the gnex TWRP on all my nexi and have never, ever, received an OTA update. Not that I ever wanted one. Maybe it sounds better coming from Jerry
    From the Android Forums: Getting an OTA after rooting | Android Central

Biggyk just flash a radio like any other zip....all are here.
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Figured... Thanks.

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    That's incorrect, sir. You will not receive OTA updates with a custom recovery installed. I have had CWM and since the gnex TWRP on all my nexi and have never, ever, received an OTA update. Not that I ever wanted one. Maybe it sounds better coming from Jerry
    From the Android Forums: Getting an OTA after rooting | Android Central

Biggyk just flash a radio like any other zip....all are here.
    I updated from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 using TWRP using the OTA update notification I got on my phone. I didnt think it was possible either until a couple of guys over XDA mentioned how it installed fine even with custom recovery. Once I got the OTA notification, I thought why not try it. All it did was go into TWRP recovery and install just fine. Like I said though, it only worked because I was rooted but still on stock kernel and ROM with no modifications.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

^^^Ok, I certainly won't call you a liar over it Perhaps something has changed, but technically it should not work.

i can testify to this

i am using HTC Chacha
    custom 2.3.5 rom
    CWM recovery
    and i"m rooted....
    S-OFF

i recieved OTA update last 2 weeks, i tried to install after download but cudnt.... tried using recovery method to manually install but cudnt.
    so i kept the file safely in my dropbox.....and dis morning again i recieved another OTA update similar to the former one.
    Currently the only thing i need updated in my phone is my network... i only use 2g/E.....i seriously need a 3g/H . is it possible to get it fom the updates and pls how can i install all these updates.