Is There a Subset of Nexus 4 Owners Who Prefer Stock JB Over Paranoid Android?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've used PA once or twice, but not for an extended period of time. In the end, I always gravitate back to AOKP's builds. I get the extra functionality I want, but with the close-to-stock experience I need.

Edit: I should mention that, primarily as a result of my design and development work, I'm extremely picky about how my software looks and how my software functions. Even a small change that I dislike in a custom ROM can prevent me from using it as a 'daily-driver'. As such, AOKP fits right within the 'lines', but other more customized ROMs often do not.

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Nexus 4 to have the pure android experience I kept hearing about. I have had it for two months, still on stock JB with no plans of changing. I have been able to accomplish all the tweaks I want through rooting and minor tweaks. I like that it just works.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid to do anything until my warranty expires LOL!

I'll probably just root only though when the time comes. One of the best things about this phone is cutting edge stock android releases!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't word things correctly. Are you familiar with the Paranoid Android ROM?

Ah, gotcha. Not familiar with that one, but I plan on leaving my Nexus stock for a long time. One reason I switched to a Nexus was to experience stock as Google intended, and not worry about manufacturer skins or dealing with quirky ROMs. That said, now you've got me curious about what PA looks like and offers.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I dont think anyone prefers stock ROM over a custom ROM as custom ROM allows for even more customizability as well as performance tweaks and even better battery life on top of what you already get. Just really depends on if you think you are taking a huge risk and that something will go wrong.

Infinite7154

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. I've been flashing custom ROM's since my OG HTC EVO 4G. Because the Nexus 4 is "pure" Android I didn't flash PA until this past weekend. Although I liked the way the menu's allowed for the sub menu to be seen on the same screen, some of the extra tweaking was a little to much for me. I am rooted so I have downloaded some of the theming engines. Other than that, whatever I want my phone to do and however I want it to look I can accomplish with Nova Launcher or any other launcher I choose from the app store.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I am loving stock and have no interest in installing a custom rom. This is coming from someone who tried pretty much every ROM available for my last phone. Stock Android is clean and functional and I'm not interested in major OS tweaks. I'm even on stock launcher.

I have found I could improve my experience with a few mods, however. I'm running Franco's kernel for better battery life and a much improved screen due to custom gamma settings. I also have the touch sensitivity mod installed (downgraded firmware) and that seems to be a slight improvement.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking with stock for now as well. It's smooth and smokin fast, and there are not many ROMs to try out anyway.

I am surprised at how few ROMs seem to exist for the N4. I know it's only been out for about 3 months, but it seems like the GNEX had a bunch of ROMs that everyone was switching between not long after it hit the market. For the N4, we've got 2 or 3 and they don't even have enough users to stay at the top of this forum. What's up with the lack of ROM development? I want a stable ROM that doesn't have a unicorn as its mascot.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm sticking with stock for now as well. It's smooth and smokin fast, and there are not many ROMs to try out anyway.

I am surprised at how few ROMs seem to exist for the N4. I know it's only been out for about 3 months, but it seems like the GNEX had a bunch of ROMs that everyone was switching between not long after it hit the market. For the N4, we've got 2 or 3 and they don't even have enough users to stay at the top of this forum. What's up with the lack of ROM development? I want a stable ROM that doesn't have a unicorn as its mascot.

What's up, grey?! Take a look at the roms on this this link, realize there are plenty not listed here, and REPENT:p

[Directory] MAKO: ROMs & Kernels - xda-developers

Personally, I'm running an AOKP PUB (project unicorn butter) build that uses the linaro toolchain AND is fully optimized for our S4 Pro/Krait (with bionic) which is not in stock android nor in offical AOKP builds....yet. I read it will as those who needed convincing have been thoroughly convinced it's well worth the trouble to code it in. The project was started by Stevespear and is being continued by bigxie on XDA/Goo. All the features I want/need and will smoke a stock rom in all regards. Very good battery coupled with Franco. I've tried a few other roms/kernel but end up back on my franco'd pub unicorn. Besides the speed/stability/battery benefits, I use the nav bar ring targets ALL of the time. Very useful. Same ten targets anywhere (lockscreen or otherwise). Long press for other five. Also, being able set the notification/navigation transparency to 50% so it perfectly blends with your wallpaper is beautiful. Can toggle to remove soft keys for full screen real estate (just swipe up and they come back for however many seconds you set it or toggle back to normal screen. Dope! Few examples for those who don't know.

Originally Posted by morfic
bionic is the "libc" of android, there are hardware optimized memcpy/memset and a few others for cortex-a9 and/or armv7-a, but also others specifically for krait, using those instead of stock bionic versions perform the same job a lot better than the more generic versions in aosp.
That affects memory throughput significantly and anything where you move data and need memory throughput using those functions will benefit from it.
there are other (math) functions that can be optimized more for the particular hardware

[/ATTACH]boom1.jpgboom2.jpg

Attachments

• boom2.jpg
    boom2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
AOKP ftw... Don't hate the unicorn. Be a man and embrace it :)

In all seriousness it's the most feature packed ROM and the team is very good at what they do now.. Which is add in useful features without detracting from the AOSP feel and fluidity.

While XDA shows a ton of ROMs, bear in mind many (if not most) of them are kangs of CM and AOKP, and PA which is CM based but definitely has a lot of unique work in it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

In all seriousness it's the most feature packed ROM and the team is very good at what they do now.. Which is add in useful features without detracting from the AOSP feel and fluidity.

While XDA shows a ton of ROMs, bear in mind many (if not most) of them are kangs of CM and AOKP, and PA which is CM based but definitely has a lot of unique work in it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I know it's stupid, but I feel like their trying to push an agenda on me with that unicorn, so I just can't do it. :-\ I did flash EuroSkank's Jellybro CM build. It was always my favorite on the gnex and it runs just as well on the N4.

Ribs85

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I am loving stock and have no interest in installing a custom rom. This is coming from someone who tried pretty much every ROM available for my last phone. Stock Android is clean and functional and I'm not interested in major OS tweaks. I'm even on stock launcher.
Amen! Very similar to me.

Still 100% stock here. Not even rooted or unlocked the bootloader.

Loving how I'm experiencing Android how Google intended, no bloatware, ota updates, latest features.

Maybe some time in the future I'll play with custom ROMs, but for now, I'm more than content.

I'm slightly tempted /curious, but for now, the urge to stay on stock is higher than the urge to experiment.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I too am in the same boat, I hated blur, and disliked sense, touchwiz was ok but I wanted pure google right out of the box with fast updates. I love, love , love the pure simplicity and beauty of stock android and jellybean. I have been tinkering with the idea of rooting and trying out a custom rom for a few days now just to see how I like it. I will sleep on it and make a final decision in the morning, lol. My buddy tells me once i flash, i will not be able to stop. He is addicted to flashing

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

I caved and started trying some ROMS and I am in love with AOKP! Definitely converted

More on topic, I tried PA and did not like as much. I know a lot of people love the PIE, but I was not a fan.

lmrvrgs

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I flashed Paranoid Android a few days ago as my first ROM. I must say im really loving this. Stock ROM is awesome but sometimes i wish i had more options, and with Paranoid i feel i get those extra kinks that i wish i had. For example, i like that i can add more tiles to the quick setting window. I added a rotation lock and a flashlight widget. I also like that my navigation bar changes colors when i open different apps. The red with youtube is awesome. I like that i am able to go to desktop mode and hide the navi bar and just navigate via PIE. Comes in handy when your browsing the web or playing games. Another feature that i like is that you can switch different UI's like phaboet, tablet, or smartphone. And certain apps open up like if it was on a tablet which i find beneficial when using the Gmail app. I love this ROM and feel it was well worth the rooting and installing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36