What is this?

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I get this message every time the phone reboots. The other day I installed Franco kernel milestone and some custom themes. I am running carbon rom and have some custom boot animations as well. I was just curious if this is being caused by the kernel or any other various things I have customized. Any help is much appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367036059192.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367036059192.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 154

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I get this message every time the phone reboots. The other day I installed Franco kernel milestone and some custom themes. I am running carbon rom and have some custom boot animations as well. I was just curious if this is being caused by the kernel or any other various things I have customized. Any help is much appreciated.

I would guess the ROM. I think I saw that message too when I had Carbon for about 10 minutes. Try keeping the kernel but flashing a different ROM. See what happens. Still get the message, then it's the kernel.

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been using this rom for a while now and have grown rather accustom to it. I never had this message until I flashed the kernel. Personally I have been underwhelmed with the battery life of this kernel.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My admittedly beginner impression is that you have to flash the kernel first, then the ROM.

The kernel rewrites some hardware behavior and so does the ROM. Flashing the kernel from stock is OK. Flashing the ROM from stock is OK.

However... You flashed the ROM and it rewrote some hardware behavior and that was needed for the ROM's functionality. Then the kernel flash may have undone some of those parameters.

Try reflashing Carbon and see if that clears up the issue.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
My admittedly beginner impression is that you have to flash the kernel first, then the ROM.

The kernel rewrites some hardware behavior and so does the ROM. Flashing the kernel from stock is OK. Flashing the ROM from stock is OK.

However... You flashed the ROM and it rewrote some hardware behavior and that was needed for the ROM's functionality. Then the kernel flash may have undone some of those parameters.

Try reflashing Carbon and see if that clears up the issue.

Flashing a ROM rewrites the kernel anyway, which means if he flashed the ROM again, he would get back to the kernel that comes with the ROM

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
ROMs include a kernel, so you flash a different kernel after the rom if you want. For OP the error message sounds more related to the ROM or possibly theme you installed, usually not a kernel issue. Might just need a full wipe and clean flash to clear it up though. Usually system errors like that are from not wiping data or restoring old data, or just an issue with the rom or theme.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Is it anything to worry about? Everything seems to be working fine. Will it cause problems in the future or cause something not to work correctly?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This thread is better suited to the Rooting, ROMs, and Hacking section. Mod, maybe you can move it?

You're right. Moved.

Is it anything to worry about? Everything seems to be working fine. Will it cause problems in the future or cause something not to work correctly?

Chances are it won't, but that doesn't mean it can't. I wouldn't want something I flashed to my phone (or didn't properly wipe) to be causing Android's system components to stop functioning properly. I could imagine a reduction in battery life if the system processes have to restart more than once, or components aren't functioning properly. Since you said it is only occurring when first powering on, that probably shouldn't be a big concern.

If I were in your position, I'd root out the issue and solve it. That's just me, though. :)

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Alright. So where do I begin? Wipe all the data and flash the the rom, theme, and kernel all at once through custom recovery?

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Back up your data and clean flash your rom. Dont flash your kernel or apply theme. If everything is working fine then next flash your kernel and you should soon find out what is causing the problem.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This thread is better suited to the Rooting, ROMs, and Hacking section. Mod, maybe you can move it?

Alright. So where do I begin? Wipe all the data and flash the the rom, theme, and kernel all at once through custom recovery?

Re-download at least the ROM to ensure there's nothing wrong with the package you got the first time. Then, yes, wipe everything and flash the ROM and theme. Also check to see if there are any special instructions for the theme (I remember seeing one theme/mod for which you needed to boot up and set up Android after flashing a ROM before flashing the theme). Finally, as said above, flashing a ROM also flashes the included kernel, so flash your separate kernel after the ROM.

If that doesn't solve the issue (though it should), we'll need to do some more investigating. ;)

Edit: Rizy7's advice above my post is good. Do it in steps to see if you can identify what causes the issue in the first place.

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The theme is the issue. I use the stock theme and there is no error msg after boot up

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just read on the market that these things are supposed to happen. Sorry for wasting you guys' time

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay