Best rom for battery life

Davidjacobs21

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Ive heard great things about franco kernel. My nexus is coming in a few days. Ive been watching review videos on Carbon, Xylon, and AOKP roms, trying to figure out whats best

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Currently I am using paranoid android 3.5 with Franco kernel and the ROM is feature packed with excellent battery life. I have had no glitches so far and really love this ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Aokp pub with trinity kernel under volted and (slightly) under clocked.
Got 4.5 hours with this. For an idea stock gives maximum of 3h and 15mins

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
LiquidSmooth and Matr1x was pretty good for me. Over 22000 in antutu benchmark without overclocking and over 2 and a half days of battery life with 3 hours 45 mins of screen on time.

sharky2006

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm on uXylon with Faux123 kernel and I score around 21000 on antutu and get roughly a day and a half out of it with 4 hours screen on time.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
ROMs generally have little to do with batt life. Kernels do, and can vary in results somewhat from one device to another as your hardware doesn't mirror everyone else N4. Not all silicon is created equal.. So some people will see different results with a given kernel than you will.

But the major factors that affect batt life will really be:
1. The apps you have installed and how they are behaving. I.e. Facebook is a known battery hog. So is Ingress (when using it, not so much in background). There are more...
2. Your signal strength and quality. Being in a weak signal area will kill your battery, plain and simple. If you regularly have 1 bar or none or see the signal drop completely often, that is sucking your batt juice. Even constantly switching between Evdo and HSPA networks will do it.
3. Brightness setting. Autobrightness both uses a sensor and generally, I find, keeps the screen brighter than you need it.. Both eating juice. I recommend adjusting brightness on the fly and if trying to conserve battery keeping it as low as you can comfortably see it at any given time. Running a ROM that let's you toggle this quickly is good, but I am sure there are apps which can substitute if you prefer stock.
4. Other things... How often certain apps are running in background, and making requests, what kind of apps you are using while you're on the device, plenty more I'm skipping or forgetting...

Basically the gist is you can try and find a kernel that gives you better battery life, but rarely will the ROM affect it. More often it's the function of the apps you have and the phone's settings and state, and signal strength (a huge factor).

Final note: after flashing a new kernel or ROM give it a few days or power cycles before you judge battery life. The system and phone need to adjust to changes and will automatically do so over time to give you more accurate representation of the batt life.

Andrw

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Final note: after flashing a new kernel or ROM give it a few days or power cycles before you judge battery life. The system and phone need to adjust to changes and will automatically do so over time to give you more accurate representation of the batt life.

This. After a few days, if you don't like what you see move on to something else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I've found good battery life has way more to do with where you are and how much you use the device. Kernel's and ROMs play a part but how much really depends on your specific circumstances.

If work almost literally under a cell tower which means i have fulls bars (and probably cancer) all day long. If i'm busy at work and not streaming music or using the phone much I can get well over 30hrs on a charge, regardless of my kernel/ROM combo.

But if I am using it I can be at 30% by lunch, just depends.

That's not to say that they don't do something, it's just to say that you might hear crazy claims of battery life using one kernel over the other but never been in a circumstance where you'll see those numbers.

What I find works better than any kernel or ROM is having chargers and battery packs all over the place. I gave up trying to squeeze an extra hour here and there by tweaking my phone years ago. I'd rather use it how it was designed with out having to step down the processors or voltages and just charge when I need to.

But some people like to tinker so I'd say I had the best luck with Franco's BeatlyBattery power mode. The battery life will be at the expense of performance but if that OK with you it should yield pretty good results.

Remember that these phones were designed to run at a certain speed with certain settings. While you CAN tweak things because the manu's build in some levels of tolerance, messing with stuff can lead to instability so just keep that in mind. I had an old Droid X that would NOT run at any CPU speed but stock but that kinda thing seems to be less the case with newer devices.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Steve Hock

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Where can I find the paranoid 3.5 rom and Franco kernel? Also I know how to flash a rom using rom manager however I'm not sure how to apply a new kernel. Can someone walk me through it,
Thanks

TonyCArnold

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Just going to confirm what a couple of other people here have already said;

I could have the most power hungry setup (Rom, Kernel and Apps), but if I'm in a great signal area it would be about the same as another person with a "lean" setup in a crappy signal area. That just sucks life from your device.

rupam95

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Where can I find the paranoid 3.5 rom and Franco kernel? Also I know how to flash a rom using rom manager however I'm not sure how to apply a new kernel. Can someone walk me through it,
Thanks

It's the same thing. It's just a Zip file that you flash while on custom recovery.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463