Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 3 Post By digitalslacker
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is factory reset/wipe required?

    So I'm currently using the alpha version of Paranoid Android - 11th May. I'm going to update to the latest one - 19th May version. I was curious to know if a factory reset/wipe is the necessary when updating from the same ROM.
    I've factory reset it on previous occasions when switching from a different version of the same ROM but I just wanted to know if it's necessary to do so.

    Thanks guys!

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,463 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,954 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: Is factory reset/wipe required?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daanyyaal View Post
    So I'm currently using the alpha version of Paranoid Android - 11th May. I'm going to update to the latest one - 19th May version. I was curious to know if a factory reset/wipe is the necessary when updating from the same ROM.
    I've factory reset it on previous occasions when switching from a different version of the same ROM but I just wanted to know if it's necessary to do so.

    Thanks guys!

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    From what I understand it is always best to wipe cache, dalvik, and factory reset. Makes for a clean install so the new version has fewer hiccups, and doesn't get distracted from old data from the previous ROM.
    Daanyyaal likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Is factory reset/wipe required?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    From what I understand it is always best to wipe cache, dalvik, and factory reset. Makes for a clean install so the new version has fewer hiccups, and doesn't get distracted from old data from the previous ROM.
    +1

    Generally speaking you can do what's called a dirty flash (not wiping anything but cache) when you are moving up a version of the same ROM. Meaning, if you were running a nightly of CM you'd probably be OK dirty flashing subsequent nightlies.

    If you move to another ROM or if the upgrade is more than just incremental, like going from 4.1.2 to 4.2.3 or something, then it's suggested you wipe because there's enough of a difference in the ROM that you might run into problems if you don't wipe.

    It's also worth pointing out that if you are regularly flashing nightlies that at some point the changes can become cumulative so you can slowly introduce problems over time. It's a good idea to get in the habit of doing a few wipe every few weeks.

    Bottom line is that if you don't wipe the worst that'll happen is instability or boot loops so if you experience that after doing a dirty flash try a full wipe before you give up on the update or the ROM or go looking for support.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Is factory reset/wipe required?

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalslacker View Post
    +1

    Generally speaking you can do what's called a dirty flash (not wiping anything but cache) when you are moving up a version of the same ROM. Meaning, if you were running a nightly of CM you'd probably be OK dirty flashing subsequent nightlies.

    If you move to another ROM or if the upgrade is more than just incremental, like going from 4.1.2 to 4.2.3 or something, then it's suggested you wipe because there's enough of a difference in the ROM that you might run into problems if you don't wipe.

    It's also worth pointing out that if you are regularly flashing nightlies that at some point the changes can become cumulative so you can slowly introduce problems over time. It's a good idea to get in the habit of doing a few wipe every few weeks.

    Bottom line is that if you don't wipe the worst that'll happen is instability or boot loops so if you experience that after doing a dirty flash try a full wipe before you give up on the update or the ROM or go looking for support.
    Thanks, that helped greatly!

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  5. #5  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    13,119 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,123 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Is factory reset/wipe required?

    Digitalslacker is spot on. Be ready to wipe/factory reset if you run into problems. Be sure to backup any important data to make life easier when restore your settings, apps, messages, etc.

Similar Threads

  1. Can factory reset wipe external SD card?
    By el_mariach in forum Sprint Galaxy S3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-30-2013, 09:01 PM
  2. Options while factory reset/wiping
    By jaykil in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 08:51 AM
  3. Question re. factory reset/wiping data
    By Lord Vader in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2011, 11:26 AM
  4. Is Factory Reset necessary?
    By Rob_B in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 09:37 PM
  5. Factory Reset wiped my Apps from AppBrain
    By androidvirgin in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Posting Permissions