- 19 Posts
Is factory reset/wipe required?
So I'm currently using the alpha version of Paranoid Android - 11th May. I'm going to update to the latest one - 19th May version. I was curious to know if a factory reset/wipe is the necessary when updating from the same ROM.
I've factory reset it on previous occasions when switching from a different version of the same ROM but I just wanted to know if it's necessary to do so.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
- 05-21-2013, 07:46 PM #2
- 7,968 Posts
- Stock Moto X
If I helped you, Pay it Forward....
Current Devices: Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Retired Devices: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch)
Traded Devices: Galaxy S3
- 05-22-2013, 11:26 AM #3
- 1,624 Posts
Re: Is factory reset/wipe required?
Generally speaking you can do what's called a dirty flash (not wiping anything but cache) when you are moving up a version of the same ROM. Meaning, if you were running a nightly of CM you'd probably be OK dirty flashing subsequent nightlies.
If you move to another ROM or if the upgrade is more than just incremental, like going from 4.1.2 to 4.2.3 or something, then it's suggested you wipe because there's enough of a difference in the ROM that you might run into problems if you don't wipe.
It's also worth pointing out that if you are regularly flashing nightlies that at some point the changes can become cumulative so you can slowly introduce problems over time. It's a good idea to get in the habit of doing a few wipe every few weeks.
Bottom line is that if you don't wipe the worst that'll happen is instability or boot loops so if you experience that after doing a dirty flash try a full wipe before you give up on the update or the ROM or go looking for support.
- 05-25-2013, 01:26 AM #5
- By el_mariach in forum Sprint Galaxy S3Replies: 6Last Post: 07-30-2013, 10:01 PM
- By jaykil in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting, ROMs, and HacksReplies: 1Last Post: 07-20-2012, 09:51 AM
- By Lord Vader in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and HacksReplies: 4Last Post: 12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
- By Rob_B in forum Verizon HTC ThunderboltReplies: 12Last Post: 07-28-2011, 10:37 PM
- By androidvirgin in forum HTC EVO 4GReplies: 8Last Post: 08-14-2010, 11:04 AM