Problems after rooting

Adriano Wahl

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody, this is my first post ;)

I rooted my n4 following this tutorial [youtu.be/yb26r8pU2xE], which is almost the same as the one in this forum.
After rooting, I only installed SuperSU, DroidWall and AndroidLost.

The problem is that google no longer recognizes my n4 as a device, even though I entered the same google account and my phone recognizes it. This makes me unable to install apps through the Google Play site.

The second problem, the one that most annoys me, is that I don't get facebook notifications on my phone anymore. I've cleared data and cache, reinstalled Facebook and Facebook Messenger(2.5.2 - release) apps and rebooted a few times and nothing happens. If I have the Messenger open, the messages get to my phone, but no notifications. I only get notifications from the chat if I am actually using the Facebook app. This only happens with Facebook. Email, whatsapp, viber and all other apps work ok.

I installed Push Notifications Fixer and set the interval to 1min, but still no notifications.

Does any of you have these problems?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just guessing but I think that DroidWall app may be your problem. Looking at it, it appears to be a firewall app which you should not need at all.. And one that hasn't been updated in over 2 years, so it would surprise me if it worked correctly at all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Adriano Wahl

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, wrong guess, 2defmouze. Uninstalled, rebooted, same thing.
It hasn't been updated because it's only an interface for the iptables firewall. It actually works pretty well.
About google not recognizing my device at all, have you ever experienced this?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, wrong guess, 2defmouze. Uninstalled, rebooted, same thing.
It hasn't been updated because it's only an interface for the iptables firewall. It actually works pretty well.
About google not recognizing my device at all, have you ever experienced this?

You may have uninstalled and rebooted but you don't know exactly what this root-requiring app did to your system, and uninstalling it was unlikely to reverse anything.

I can't think of any time I've seen this situation, no.

But I'm still not convinced messing with 3rd party firewalls is not the cause of the problem...

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Tending to agree with 2defmouze on this one.
DroidWall was last updated before 4.x was even released. The services that connect your phone and the play store could be getting blocked and have no way to phone home.

I did notice that the dev suggests that you DISABLE the firewall BEFORE uninstalling because it won't revert the iptables unless you do. You might want to try that and then reboot and see if that helps.

could always try a factory reset too and at least see if it works simply rooted, that'll rule in or out one of those apps. Also try to grab a logcat of what's up...might tell you something more

The facebook thing I see all the time. Facebook's app is crap, clearing the cache and data usually gets its back for me but I have to do that every few weeks.

Adriano Wahl

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi digitalslacker,
I've already mentioned that it's only an interface, but whatever.
I also read the dev's suggestions and I followed them (turned everything off before uninstalling).
Gogle Play connects to my phone as usual, it's not a connection problem.
Also, the Gtalk service monitor shows me that the connection with google is ok.
Yeah, facebook is crap, their app seems to be done inhtml. I don't know how that can take 80mb of memory when running.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Well at this point the only thing I could recommend then is a factory reset. Log in to Google afterwards and ensure everything is working, then you can go ahead and re-root it. I also suggest using my guide for that and Koush's superuser.zip (linked in the guide) rather than SuperSU.

If you reinstall your firewall and see the same issue you'll know what the problem is. I don't know your specific situation of course but I don't think you should have any need for a firewall app.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
yeah Facebook's app is not native, it's an HTML5 wrapper from what I understand. I thought that was changing but I guess not or not yet. Maybe Home is what is now native.

Back to the firewall issue. I appreciate that the app is just a wrapper but the bottom line is that it's manipulating settings that control what can and can't connect to and from your phone.
While some of Google's services aren't blocked it still appears that something is...or something was and Google hasn't tried again to connect up again. I'm not even sure if the ability to install via the play store was even an option when the app was last updated. It's possible that it doesn't know it needs to revert those settings when you disable it. Can you get into the iptable stuff and see if anything is still blocked? I don't play with all that stuff so I'm not really sure how to do that.

Or Maybe try removing the device from Google Play and then singing out on the phone, might force something to connect again now that the app is gone.

Beyond that, i think a factory reset is still your best option man, wish I had something better for you because I know that is a pain. At some point though, it's just faster than screwing around trying to fix things.

hope that helps!