Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

Default How would I update?

Hello,

I am running CyanogenMod 10.1.2 with franco.Kernel Milestone 3, and am wondering how do I update when the next version of CyanogenMod releases? As I understand when I update the ROM even OTA, it will reinstall it's kernel, therefore I'd have the CyanogenMod kernel after updating. How would I flash back franco.Kernel kernel? Would I just do it through CWM as I did it originally provided the franco.Kernel version is compatible? I also use the franco.Kernel updater app with settings that only work with franco.Kernel, will this cause issues if it tries to use those settings on the CyanogenMod kernel, or would I just flash franco.Kernel before the first boot of an update?

Default Re: How would I update?

In a case like this I would just update CM via recovery. That way you can flash the franco kernel after you update CM. Better safe than sorry
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

Does updating using CWM wipe all data though? I thought it did, or is that only when you first flash it?

Quote Originally Posted by blue_k View Post
    Does updating using CWM wipe all data though? I thought it did, or is that only when you first flash it?
    Depends on how the ROM dev cooks the ROM. There are some ROMs where updates don't require a full wipe (you would only have to wipe cache/dalvik) which would save your data. The ROM I have on my Note 2 is CM based and didn't require a full wipe.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    Depends on how the ROM dev cooks the ROM. There are some ROMs where updates don't require a full wipe (you would only have to wipe cache/dalvik) which would save your data. The ROM I have on my Note 2 is CM based and didn't require a full wipe.
    Any ROM can require a full wipe at any time.. Depends only on how much has been changed in the system since your last update.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2