Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus 4, Nexus 7

Default Bootloader unlocked...OTA'S???

I am bootloader unlocked and rooted, but running the stock rom and kernel. Will that prevent the OTA for 4.3 hitting my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7?
    Thanks guys

Default Re: Bootloader unlocked...OTA'S???

I believe you will still be able to receive the OTA updates notification but you will most likely have to load the stock recovery back to the device to successfully complete the update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Interesting....I am also bootloader unlocked, rooted and stock everything except for TWRP. I guess I misinterpreted what I have read on the forums that the OTA would just install under those conditions, and that I would just have to re-root afterwards. It worked going from 4.2 to 4.2.2, but I might have called TWRP from within fastboot at that time, and it was not permanently installed as it is now.

EDIT: I see on the xda forums, that under my scenario, I should do the following (I removed the rooting step because I am waiting until things stabilize). Somewhere I saw the detailed steps on how to do this :

You are stock, with root. Custom Recovery without any modifications or deletions.
    1) Download the OTA.zip and copy to your phone.
    2) Boot into recovery
    3) Flash the OTA
    4) Reboot

Not sure it is the same method, but came across this, where two people successfully update to 4.3, with stock 4.2.2 and TWRP:

HOW TO : Flash 4.3 on rooted stock 4.2.2 - xda-developers

Personally I am going to wait until all the 4.3 bugs have been squashed and the developers have updated their apps to accommodate it. Android 4.3 has some major changes. Read what Chainfire is going through to upgrade their SuperSU app to allow for rooting; this is still a work in progress:

https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/LYNiJCrWBGQ

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I believe you will still be able to receive the OTA updates notification but you will most likely have to load the stock recovery back to the device to successfully complete the update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by pjc123 View Post
    Interesting....I am also bootloader unlocked, rooted and stock everything except for TWRP. I guess I misinterpreted what I have read on the forums that the OTA would just install under those conditions, and that I would just have to re-root afterwards. It worked going from 4.2 to 4.2.2, but I might have called TWRP from within fastboot at that time, and it was not permanently installed as it is now.
    Seems to be a lot of confusion whether an OTA will work with a custom recovery. I was also able to OTA using TWRP from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 so I don't know if its just a misconception or not

Quote Originally Posted by DaEXfactoR View Post
    I am bootloader unlocked and rooted, but running the stock rom and kernel. Will that prevent the OTA for 4.3 hitting my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7?
    Thanks guys
    I'm in the same state as your nexus, download ota but cannot reboot into 4.3 because I I'm using TWRP, how do I go back to stock recovery. any help please

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.3 unlocked and rooted

I am unlocked and rooted on stock ROM. I got the ota just fine on my N7 and N10

Living in Puerto Vallarta with my wife and our 5 Kids, Atrix 4G, N4, N5, N7, N10 and a recently adopted MK908B.
    www.romamexico.com

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by rombel View Post
    I'm in the same state as your nexus, download ota but cannot reboot into 4.3 because I I'm using TWRP, how do I go back to stock recovery. any help please

You pull the stock recovery out of the 4.2.2 factory image, which you download from Google. The recovery is named recovery.img and is found inside the package once you unzip the contents. Boot the phone to the bootloader (fastboot) and flash the recovery file using:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img