A few questions before I decide if I should root
I want to get Cyanogenmod, simply because it looks more customizable. Before I root and install cyanogenmod, I have a few questions:
- For Android updates, what would I need to do to get them? Does Cyanogenmod automatically update with new features? Will I have to unroot? Will I have to re-install cyanogenmod?
- Is there anything you think I should know about Cyanogenmod before I install?
- Where's a nice tutorial for first-time rooters? (Both for unlocking, rooting, and installing cyanogenmod.)
- Would there be a better ROM for me? I've heard about Paranoid Android, but I haven't seen much about either.
- Is it possible for me to customize the bottom buttons on the Nexus 4? Such as making it translucent on the homescreen?
Re: A few questions before I decide if I should root
This is where you should start [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Most ROMs are very nice. Especially for the Nexus devices....
Things you should know. Most Customs ROMs have custom Kernels, Which have the potential of messing with things like your GPS, Wifi, or Radios
Cyanogen and Paranoid are top dogs, and know a lot about custom ROMs and kernels. But there is no way to make it perfect for every device.
Updating your ROMs requires a back-up and installing the new updated ROM through your custom recovery. You do not need to unroot.
But updating to the Stock update from google will require a unroot.
Some ROMs have built-in updaters depending on the developer.
XDA is a good source. But they will flame anyone who doesnt read first. Most questions have been answered. Just need to search. They are very helpful.