- 28 Posts
Suddenly getting spam notifications on my phone: how to stop it? (I'm in UK)
This evening I've had 4 spam notifications within an hour - betting websites etc and some weird contact requests. I pressed on the notification and when it said 'connect via Chrome - always or only once' etc, I just closed it and the notification disappeared. I couldn't get rid of them any other way (or don't know how to) and hope this hasn't compromised my phone further.
What can I do please to stop this happening? I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the phone's finer points. I have only 2 selections ticked in settings>security, which are verify apps & make passwords visible. I use Avast mobile security's free version.
Another q which is minor: in settings>about this phone, the phone no that came with the SIM card (I ported my own no the same day) is logged as the phone's no. Google support didn't know if I could change this or how. Is there a simple way or no point as requires a full reset?
- 10-24-2013, 03:16 PM #2
- 1,417 Posts
Re: Suddenly getting spam notifications on my phone: how to stop it? (I'm in UK)
As for the spam, it's almost certainly a pesky app you installed. I'd suggest to use Lookout's Ad Detector tool and it should tell you which apps can 'conjure up' which type of ads on your phone. Just find the culprit and freeze or uninstall.
As for the phone number, that's the carrier's job. It's 'embedded' on the SIM so the only ones that can change that info are carrier employees (or you if you know the hackery and have the necessary tools).
- 10-24-2013, 03:19 PM #3
- 15 Posts
- By worwig in forum Sony SmartwatchesReplies: 1Last Post: 10-27-2013, 03:04 AM
- By mrtwohands in forum Verizon Galaxy S3Replies: 7Last Post: 10-25-2013, 10:59 PM
- By the1m.polo in forum HTC OneReplies: 1Last Post: 10-25-2013, 12:34 AM
- By djiang12 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3Replies: 1Last Post: 10-24-2013, 11:19 PM
- By Leonard Bagni1 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 1Last Post: 10-24-2013, 03:19 PM