Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Jerry Hildenbrand
  • 1 Post By chiweed
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Quick and dirty how-to: Android 4.4 on the Nexus 4 (step by step)

This was pretty easy, here's a method to get a working debug build of 4.4 plus the Nexus 5 apps on your Nexus 4. Follow the steps, as written, in order and things should be FC free.

1. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked. See the stickies. Ask for help. You can not skip this step.
    2. Download these things to your computer:

3. Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery. Do not use any other recovery for now. Use this particular version if you want to do it exactly the same as i have done: CWN recovery for the N4. See the stickies or ask for help if needed.
    4. Back yo shiz up. If you don't back yo shiz up, you are not allowed to cry later. Period; full stop.
    5. After backing things up, wipe your user data in CWM recovery.
    6. Flash the ROM from the Rootzwiki post via CWM recovery.
    7. Flash the G Apps from the RootzWiki post via CWM recovery.
    8. Reboot your phone normally.
    9. Go through the Set up process, but don't start opening apps right and left. Do NOT backup and restore to your Google account.
    10. Open Google Play. Download a file manager. I use AI File Explorer. Any should work.
    11. Find the extra apk files you placed on your SD card, and tap to install them normally one at a time. Install them ALL, but do not open any of them yet.
    12. Hit the Home button, choose the new launcher, but pick this time only don't set it as default just yet. Tap through the welcome screens, but stay on the home screen.
    13. Say OK Google and search for something. Anything. Then tap the Home button again.
    14. Choose the OLD launcher, but do not set it as the default.
    15. Swipe up from the home button to open Google Now. Sign in to Google Now.
    16. Hit the home button, choose new launcher, set as default if you like.

You should have everything working now, without any force closes.
    Remember, this is a debug build. There may be apps in Google Play that do not show up because of this. I'll leave changing things to act as a Nexus 5 to Google Play to someone else.

Have fun!
    Quick and dirty how-to: Android 4.4 on the Nexus 4 (step by step)-screenshot_2013-11-01-18-01-18.png
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Default Re: Quick and dirty how-to: Android 4.4 on the Nexus 4 (step by step)

Can't wait to install this tonight after the kids are in bed!

Global Posts
    797 Global Posts

I have TWRP custom recovery. Will that work? If not, how do I uninstall it and install ClockWorkMod?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    ROM
    Trib's SolidROM 2.1/HTC

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    3. Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery. Do not use any other recovery for now. Use this particular version if you want to do it exactly the same as i have done: CWN recovery for the N4.
    Use ClockWorkMod Recovery. Must have ADB installed on your computer to push the recovery image. Installing the recovery image overwrites the previous recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Jerry Hildenbrand likes this.

Does anyone else have issues with the back button not working after updating or is it just me?

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

The extra apks seem to work nicely on a Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.3. Just tried the new Hangouts with sms support. Even the launcher has changed (in fact I can choose between the 4.3 and the 4.4 launcher).
    Quick and dirty how-to: Android 4.4 on the Nexus 4 (step by step)-screenshot_2013-11-02-11-40-53.png Quick and dirty how-to: Android 4.4 on the Nexus 4 (step by step)-screenshot_2013-11-02-11-44-01.png
    Last edited by knahrvorn; 11-02-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Only issue I have noticed so far is that it shows 2 camera apps available after installing the Extra APK's. Other than that, it is nice to be running 4.4.

Thanks Jerry!

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_STLTechTalk View Post
    Only issue I have noticed so far is that it shows 2 camera apps available after installing the Extra APK's. Other than that, it is nice to be running 4.4.

Thanks Jerry!
    I solved this by simply disabling the bundled camera app. I can't, however, use Google keyboard. I installed it from the extra apks, and every time I try to use it, it force closes. I miss the gesture typing; I'm very used to it. I can use the AOSP keyboard, but it doesn't have gesture typing.

EDIT: Solved it by getting the Google keyboard from here: com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-2.0.19003.893803a
    Last edited by yfan; 11-04-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Yes, the back button doesnt work for me as well, since I tried changing the input method /-:

Is anyone having issues with maps locking on your location?

Sent from my AOSP on Mako using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JusDre82 View Post
    No, if anything, it's working better than 4.3 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JusDre82 View Post

Sent from my AOSP on Mako using Tapatalk
    I am.

Couple of other issues:

- The weather extension in DashClock Widget says it is unable to find my location. Tap on it and it finds it with no problems.
    - I have lost my HSPA+ data connection (can only choose between 2G and 3G) and when accessing data, it only shows it as H instead of the normal H+.

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xerave1 View Post
    Yes, the back button doesnt work for me as well, since I tried changing the input method /-:
    Same here. It's usually fixed by simply reinstalling the Google keyboard from the apk, but it's still damn annoying to have to do it every time I restart my phone.

Global Posts
    797 Global Posts

I followed all the steps and everything seems to be fine except i lost my root. WTF?