Nexus 4 - What KitKat based ROM are you running right now?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: What KitKat based ROM are you running right now?

I am using MultiROM, which isn't a rom, but a boot manager that allows the Nexus to multiboot into two or more roms installed on the phone. The extra roms are installed in your internal storage and there is no speed lost. It support not only Android, but Ubuntu Touch, Firefox and other OS that work with Linux kernel and ARM.

For it to work it required applying the MultiROM patch to the main OS. The main OS needs to be running a kernel that support 'kernel execution' (kexec), which "is a mechanism of the Linux kernel that allows "live" booting of a new kernel "over" the currently running kernel." The additional OS runs it's own kernel. It also required a modified MultiROM version of the TWRP recovery in order to install the additional OS'es.

For more info on MultiROM, see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2472295

I use stock as my main OS, but with a custom kernel that support kexec, then I can install separate custom roms in addition. It's a very good way of testing new roms while still having a stable base to fall back, although I still use a cheaper device as the main calling device, Nexus 4 to do everything else.

sent from tapatalk

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: What KitKat based ROM are you running right now?

I am using MultiROM, which isn't a rom, but a boot manager that allows the Nexus to multiboot into two or more roms installed on the phone. The extra roms are installed in your internal storage and there is no speed lost. It support not only Android, but Ubuntu Touch, Firefox and other OS that work with Linux kernel and ARM.

For it to work it required applying the MultiROM patch to the main OS. The main OS needs to be running a kernel that support 'kernel execution' (kexec), which "is a mechanism of the Linux kernel that allows "live" booting of a new kernel "over" the currently running kernel." The additional OS runs it's own kernel. It also required a modified MultiROM version of the TWRP recovery in order to install the additional OS'es.

For more info on MultiROM, see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2472295

I use stock as my main OS, but with a custom kernel that support kexec, then I can install separate custom roms in addition. It's a very good way of testing new roms while still having a stable base to fall back, although I still use a cheaper device as the main calling device, Nexus 4 to do everything else.

sent from tapatalk

Oh yeah I know about it. When I upgrade my phone I'll install multiROM on the Nexus 4 to try out Ubuntu Touch.

Posted via Android Central App

Hordiyevych

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm running Beanstalk. Its based of Cyanogenmod 11 and is my all time favourite ROM. Ultimate customisability, and speed. Its great. I'm also using Multi ROM Manager, that's quite cool. My kernel is faux kernel, simply because of the over clocking abilities and the removal of thermal throttling.

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site
In my experience it most certainly wasn't. Even after the 4.4 update my N4 had crappy battery life and lacked functionality (such as quick shortcut configuration) that I'd grown accustomed to while using custom ROMs such as CM / Slimbean.

I'm currently using SlimKat. I prefer it over CM, Purity, Beanstalk and Liquidsmooth. In fact, during my recent installation of Beanstalk 4.4 I suffered with data connection issues and on a few occasions my phone would randomly power down and wouldn't power back up for minutes afterward, although I think this most likely the result of a problem with the Hells Core kernel I replaced the original kernel with.

SlimKat FTW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12