Visual Voicemail data- can I transfer it to another phone?

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So, I've been using a Nexus 4, and now have a Nexus 5.

I use T-Mobiles Visual Voicemail. I have several important voicemails stored on the Nexus 4. I'd love to transfer the data to my Nexus 5 so I can listen to it on that phone as well.

Several backup apps I've looked at don't save the voicemails that are stored on the phone. I know I can send the text of the message, but sometimes it's not clear. I know also I can save the audio as an AMR file, but that still doesn't get it into T-Mobile Visual Voicemail on the new phone. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very much for anyone's help.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Helium should be able to backup up it fine. But it depends on where the files are located as well. If it's all stored in the apps data folder, then Helium alone should work.

Download the Helium app from the Playstore, then download it's companion PC app here: http://clockworkmod.com/carbon

Then just run Helium app and follow onscreen instructions, when it tells you to enable USB debugging and if your computer needs the driver, use the ones from the link above.

If you backup into internal storage instead of the cloud, the backup will be stored in the folder "carbon", copy it over to the N5, install Helium on it to restore.

If the app'amedia files are stored separately in your internal storage, then you also need to copy out over manually.

I noticed the app made a folder located at /sdcard/android/data/ com.tmobile.vvm.application. Copy it to the same location on the N5.

sent via tapatalk

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Helium should be able to backup up it fine. But it depends on where the files are located as well. If it's all stored in the apps data folder, then Helium alone should work.

Download the Helium app from the Playstore, then download it's companion PC app here: ClockworkMod Carbon

Then just run Helium app and follow onscreen instructions, when it tells you to enable USB debugging and if your computer needs the driver, use the ones from the link above.

If you backup into internal storage instead of the cloud, the backup will be stored in the folder "carbon", copy it over to the N5, install Helium on it to restore.

If the app'amedia files are stored separately in your internal storage, then you also need to copy out over manually.

I noticed the app made a folder located at /sdcard/android/data/ com.tmobile.vvm.application. Copy it to the same location on the N5.

sent via tapatalk

I looked at Carbon, even emailed the developer, and he said that Carbon wouldn't transfer the Visual Voicemail Data.

However, your observation that Visual Voicmail made a folder on the SD card looks like it could solve my problem, but forgive me, but I don't see how to see the SD card on the Nexus 4 or 5.

Using the app Android File Transfer, I don't see the SD Card listed. Could you tell me how to see it?

Thanks

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, got it. Sort of...

On my Nexus 4, I see the folder you mentioned. Although it's not on the SD card. Again, I don't see the SD card at all. Inside that folder is another folder called Files. However, there is nothing in that folder.

On the Nexus 5, the folder sdcard/android/data/ com.tmobile.vvm.application is not there, yet I have the app T-Mobile Visual Voicmail on the phone.

However, I had to "side load" the Visual Voicemail app onto the N5. If you remember, it turns out that KitKat is not comparable with T-Mobile Visual Voicemail. If you connect a KitKat phone to the Play Store, TM Vis VM does not appear and therefore you can't dowload it.

Is this why I don't see the folder at all on my N5 even though I have the Vis VM app side loaded?

Is this why on the N4 there are not items in the Files folder inside the Vis VM folder on the SD card?

Or, can I not see it because the Android File Transfer app doesn't allow it?

As an aside, I guess that in oder for people who previously had TM Vis VM on their phone, and who then upgraded to KitKat, the phone has to text TM about 1-2 times per day with the code Activate:dt=15

Do you see any items in your File folder inside the VisVM folder?

Thanks for the help.

Just noticed something else. On the N4 there is a folder called VVM. Which I believe stands for Vis VoiceMail. Inside that is a folder called Temps, and nothing is in that. Would this folder be something related to the current problems with VVM and Kitkat?

Just tried it with Windows and all the folders are exactly the same.

Last edited:

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
/sdcard/ is a symbolic link, it's actually your internal storage, so just look in android/data/, you'll see many folders.

I got a feeling I'm not seeing the SD card because of using this Android File Transfer app. I don't remember using it until I got the N4...before that the phone would just appear on my desktop (using a Mac).

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
If you are using a Mac, it follow the unix system where anything file or folder starting with a period "." will be hidden. I have no experience with AFT so I can't help you. Using file manager apps, you have to set the app to show hidden file. You can show the folder's property and it should give you info on how big it is then you'll know it has something.

Just use a file manager, zip up that folder, then share it through bluetooth and send it directly to the N5.

Whether or not Helium say they support the app, I tried backup with it, and it does back up the apps data (not the /android/data folder, but the one in /data/data, so you should still backup and restore with Helium in addition).

If you can't install a file from the PlayStore you can still sideload it. Helium can backup the APK, the option to enable it is in the main menu of the app when you swipe up. Or you can use ES File Explorer.

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If you are using a Mac, it follow the unix system where anything file or folder starting with a period "." will be hidden. I have no experience with AFT so I can't help you. Using file manager apps, you have to set the app to show hidden file. You can show the folder's property and it should give you info on how big it is then you'll know it has something.

Just use a file manager, zip up that folder, then share it through bluetooth and send it directly to the N5.

Whether or not Helium say they support the app, I tried backup with it, and it does back up the apps data (not the /android/data folder, but the one in /data/data, so you should still backup and restore with Helium in addition).

If you can't install a file from the PlayStore you can still sideload it. Helium can backup the APK, the option to enable it is in the main menu of the app when you swipe up. Or you can use ES File Explorer.

First, thanks very much for your help.

So, I used Android File Manager, and it does enable me to see all files, including invisible one's, system files, etc.

However, for the life of me, I can't find where the TM Vis VM data is stored. There are several VVM folders around, but none of them have any data/files in them. I'm not sure if you use TM VVM, but if you do, could you take a look around for me?

You mention Helium should work, regardless of what the developer says. I've installed it and it seems to indicate it can back up the VVM app and data, however, I can't seem to save it to my Mac(PC). The description of the free app states you can save to PC, but the option to do that is not there. The only options to save are Internal Storage, Schedule Backup, Google Drive and Add Could Storage Account.

Any ideas....?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You mention Helium should work, regardless of what the developer says. I've installed it and it seems to indicate it can back up the VVM app and data, however, I can't seem to save it to my Mac(PC). The description of the free app states you can save to PC, but the option to do that is not there. The only options to save are Internal Storage, Schedule Backup, Google Drive and Add Could Storage Account.

Any ideas....?

Thanks again.
I told you previously, but: If you backup into internal storage instead of the cloud, the backup will be stored in the folder "carbon", copy the folder over to the N5, install Helium on it to restore.

I just tried backing up data of the app and restore it on another device and it worked perfectly with the previous voicemails, no need copy any external files, it was a breeze. I also noticed that in the app, you can export each individual voicemail to AMR sound file.

Also the Nexus 4 isn't 'compatible' with the app, so I backup the APK of the app and sideloaded it on my N4.

Last edited:

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I told you previously, but: If you backup into internal storage instead of the cloud, the backup will be stored in the folder "carbon", copy the folder over to the N5, install Helium on it to restore.

I just tried backing up data of the app and restore it on another device and it worked perfectly with the previous voicemails, no need copy any external files, it was a breeze. I also noticed that in the app, you can export each individual voicemail to AMR sound file.

Also the Nexus 4 isn't 'compatible' with the app, so I backup the APK of the app and sideloaded it on my N4.

Sorry, for some reason the idea of storing to the internal, non removable storage card just didn't click with me. I was hung up on thinking I needed a removable ext card to do it. Anyway, I just did as you said and it worked perfectly.

Yes, I noticed that you can store as an AMR file as well, but my whole thing was trying to keep it in the format that the N5's TM VMM could read within the app.

Thanks again for all your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non