Issues with Stock recovery and Fastboot using Nexus Root Toolkit

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I am a confessed nob when it comes to hacking my phone, but have managed to work through things with some difficulty.

I am currently running 4.4 Kit Kat but I had some issues getting this installed after installing a custom recovery the last time I rooted my device with 4.3. My phone has been running fine but I have noticed that I don't get a menu when I go into stock recovery mode. I get the option to select recovery mode but after I choose it the phone looks like it will reboot. The Google logo comes up then I get the little Android guy on his back with a red triangle and an exclamation point on his chest with text that says "No Command".

I received the 4.4.2 update OTA today but it won't install. I get the same error.

I tried to use the Nexus Root Toolkit to reflash the stock recovery but it says it can't start Fastboot.

Anyone with ideas?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The Google logo comes up then I get the little Android guy on his back with a red triangle and an exclamation point on his chest with text that says "No Command".
That is called stock recovery, nothing is wrong with it. In that screen with the red triangle Android, while holding Power, press Volume Up to display the menu.

The reason the toolkit is not running is because you did not install the correct adb/fastboot driver for your device. While your phone is connected in Fastboot mode (Bootloader menu), use Device Manager to uninstall whatever device your Nexus 4 is shown as, then install the Google USB Driver.

You can also use Universal Naked Driver, which is another version, but it is an unsigned driver, to install it on Windows 8 you have to reboot the computer in Advanced mode and disable driver signature checking.

You are not specifying what you are trying to install.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I get trouble loading it sometimes when doing the manual way.

When there press power and volume up. Of you hold it too long it shuts down, usually I get it when I press it quickly a lot of times probably because I'm a spastic with it.

Wugs tool kit I believe does it for you, if you follow the initial instructions step by step. Which took myself a lot of guessing and eventually something worked.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
That is called stock recovery, nothing is wrong with it. In that screen with the red triangle Android, while holding Power, press Volume Up to display the menu.

The reason the toolkit is not running is because you did not install the correct adb/fastboot driver for your device. While your phone is connected in Fastboot mode (Bootloader menu), use Device Manager to uninstall whatever device your Nexus 4 is shown as, then install the Google USB Driver.

You can also use Universal Naked Driver, which is another version, but it is an unsigned driver, to install it on Windows 8 you have to reboot the computer in Advanced mode and disable driver signature checking.

You are not specifying what you are trying to install.
I have had issues with the USB drivers. I've tried a number of things. Will keep playing. All I'm trying to do is install the OTA update to 4.4.2. It downloads then goes to install but I get the Android guy on his back with the no command error. I am not plugged in for this.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I have had issues with the USB drivers. I've tried a number of things. Will keep playing. All I'm trying to do is install the OTA update to 4.4.2. It downloads then goes to install but I get the Android guy on his back with the no command error. I am not plugged in for this.

If you made any changes to your system like rooting or flashing something then the OTA update will fail.

You will either have to flash factory image or install custom recovery and use it to flash my flashable zips to install 4.4.2 directly without erasing your data: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...zips-return-n4-stock-kot49h-4-4-2-kitkat.html

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If you made any changes to your system like rooting or flashing something then the OTA update will fail.

You will either have to flash factory image or install custom recovery and use it to flash my flashable zips to install 4.4.2 directly without erasing your data: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...zips-return-n4-stock-kot49h-4-4-2-kitkat.html
I have rooted my phone but am still just running it stock. Do I need to unroot every time I have an update? I didn't have to do this when I went from 4.2 to 4.3. I lost root after I upgraded but didn't have this issue with it just giving me the error.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You can update while rooted I did.

Ya but here's the deal. It doesn't work for me. And once I try to run the OTA update it removes the update and I don't get notified again for days or weeks.

I can try to side load it I guess but I prefer to just run things stock and have my phone operate properly. This stuff annoys me.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You can update while rooted I did.

Well I bit the biscuit and reflashed stock and unrooted. I received the update immediately and it installed fine. It's very frustrating as I didn't want to have to restore my phone again after just doing this for the 4.4 update. Anyway got it done. Thanks for the help.