Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default rooting Nexus 4 (4.4.2)

can some one please direct me to the easiest way to root my nexus 4 running 4.4.2 thanks!

Default Re: rooting Nexus 4 (4.4.2)

quick and relatively painless. Unlocks your bootloader, roots, installs custom recovery. Also options for pushing or pulling files to and from your device, flashing back to stock (using factory image) and other goodies.

If you want the easiest way, this toolkit is it. WugFresh

This will void your warranty. It will also wipe all your data (make backups before doing anything!!!). Also it is highly recommended to learn ADB commands so you know exactly what toolkits similar to this one are doing. I need to learn ADB but in the meantime this is the program/toolkit I use.

Make backups, read, research, double check you've got backups, and go ahead.
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

do you know if this will work with 4.4.2
    Quote Originally Posted by dancing-bass View Post
    quick and relatively painless. Unlocks your bootloader, roots, installs custom recovery. Also options for pushing or pulling files to and from your device, flashing back to stock (using factory image) and other goodies.

If you want the easiest way, this toolkit is it. WugFresh

This will void your warranty. It will also wipe all your data (make backups before doing anything!!!). Also it is highly recommended to learn ADB commands so you know exactly what toolkits similar to this one are doing. I need to learn ADB but in the meantime this is the program/toolkit I use.

Make backups, read, research, double check you've got backups, and go ahead.

I'm fairly confident it would, Wug seems to keep his stuff updated fairly regularly. I can't say for certain because I have a Galaxy nexus which will never see factory 4.4. Google stopped supporting it after 4.3. But like I said, I'm pretty confident in Wugfresh. Whenever I open the program it automatically checks for updates, so you should be fine.
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile

It works. I rooted my N4 (4.2.2) with no problems this morning. It's the first time I've ever rooted anything. I watched one of the YouTube videos within the site as I proceeded. I intend to go back and thank, support the developer asap. Great job.

Posted via Android Central App
    Sent from my One+ ONE

Dang..........(4.4.2). I guess rooting was easier than writing a simple post. LOL.
    Sent from my One+ ONE

The rest of the story. I tried installing 3 different roms the last couple of days after unlocking and rooting my N4. I had decent success on all three except for one huge problem. In every instance I had no WiFi! Everything else appeared to have installed properly. I had a mobile data connection but no WiFi. Does anyone know how this could happen?

Sent from my One+ ONE

Quote Originally Posted by net62957 View Post
    The rest of the story. I tried installing 3 different roms the last couple of days after unlocking and rooting my N4. I had decent success on all three except for one huge problem. In every instance I had no WiFi! Everything else appeared to have installed properly. I had a mobile data connection but no WiFi. Does anyone know how this could happen?

It's still better to learn to root manually than using toolkits, so you know the ins and out and might not run into problems like this.

When you install a new rom, make sure to do a factory reset and wipe the /system partition, this will erase the previous OS on the phone and make sure files don't migrate over. If you migrate your old settings over to another rom especially running a different version of Android it can cause issues.

Another reason you might not be getting WiFi is the lacking of PRIMA driver, which is used in 4.4 kernels, lacking in 4.3 kernels. When you flash a rom it come with its own kernel. Or could be issues with your radio.

Which roms are you flashing?
    Thanked by:

Thanks for the info. The latest versions of Miui, Paranoid Android, and CM. I used a tool kit to unlock my N4 and root with recovery.

In flashing the roms I tried to follow the instructions meticulously but even if this round didn't work out I look forward to the challenges to come.

I used the tool kit to revert back to OEM settings where I started and relocked my phone. I'll go to plan B the next round. Again, thanks for your interest.

I should add I've dedicated my N4 to learning how go through these processes. It's not my primary phone. I guess I can be a little reckless in my approach. But, I do want to learn the right way. Bottom line.

Sent from my One+ ONE