Rooting and loading CM11 for the first time

mosesx

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
So I want to load the latest CM 11 onto my nexus 4 but I've never rooted or modded before. Before I do that I need some clarification on the theory about this because I am doing this more than once (I have two nexuses).

Do I need to load factory image of KitKat 4.4.2 to load up CM11?

And which CM11 release should I choose because there doesn't seem to be a stable release?

I've downloaded Wugfresh. I have also copied all the data off my phone.

Appreciate the help.

Thank you

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So I want to load the latest CM 11 onto my nexus 4 but I've never rooted or modded before. Before I do that I need some clarification on the theory about this because I am doing this more than once (I have two nexuses).

Do I need to load factory image of KitKat 4.4.2 to load up CM11?

And which CM11 release should I choose because there doesn't seem to be a stable release?

I've downloaded Wugfresh. I have also copied all the data off my phone.

Appreciate the help.

Thank you
Welcome to the forums!

First, you'll need to root. Looks like you have Wugfresh do accomplish that, so once you do then you'll be able to install CM11.

Here is another source to get you unlocked and rooted: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-4-rooting-roms-hacks/224861-guide-nexus-4-unlock-root.html

Once rooted, you'll need to make a backup of the device with the installed recovery (TWRP or ClockworkMod).

From here on out there will no longer be "Stable" or "RC" releases. Instead, those have been replaced by the "M" releases. You can read about it here:

The latest, most stable build will be the May 4th build (M6). That's what you want to load if you want to use a version of CM11 that is most stable for your device. Let us know if you have further questions or need help with the installation process.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon