[Fixed] How to install SuperSU with Lollipop/encrypted storage?

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
So I upgraded to Lollipop keeping my data etc, and now I can't reinstall the SuperSU binary because TWRP does not support decryption yet on Lollipop. Is there any other way to install it?

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to install SuperSU with Lollipop/encrypted storage?

I agree, but I don't think there's another way to root an vencrypted device. At least not yet.

Could you back up your data partition through twrp or do an adb pull, then restore after rooting? I'm not encrypted, so I don't know how much you can interact with it

Wubba lubba dub dub!

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Can't access any data in twrp cause it can't decrypt and mount the partition.

Mathorlaz

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

Back when I was using the Lollipop Developer Preview (on my Nexus 5) I had the same issue you are having, and I "solved" it using a USB OTG drive.
Even though you can't decrypt the internal storage, inside TWRP, you can find your OTG drive and flash whatever you want, without wiping your device.

This worked for me, hopefully it can work for you too..

Cheers,
Mathorlaz

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

You mean putting the SuperSU zip in the otg? how will it flash that to the internal storage though if it can't mount it to write?

TheJeremyP

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

You mean putting the SuperSU zip in the otg? how will it flash that to the internal storage though if it can't mount it to write?

The system partition is not encrypted, only the user's data is encrypted. SuperSU and it's binary get installed to the system partition. I just did the OTG thing and installed BETA-SuperSU-v2.23. It works.

kyle_beckman

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Any chance either one of you, TheJeremyP or Mathorlaz, could go into a little more detail on how to install SuperSU via OTG? I had my Nexus 5 rooted and really customized and just updated to 5.0 and lost all my customization that required root access. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Oh awesome! I have a Y otg cable for the N4 but never used it yet, I will try this when I get home from work in a bit and post back, thank you!

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Just tried this, but TWRP won't mount the usb-otg, when I click on it under Mount it doesn't activate, (area with 3 items: System, Cache, usb-otg). Only system mounts fine. I tried with 2 sticks, one with FAT32 and another on NTFS, with a Y cable plugged to the pc.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Can't access any data in twrp cause it can't decrypt and mount the partition.

You should still be able to backup through adb though because your device would be decrypted.

If you've got the cable though, Mathorlaz' otg idea is probably best.

Posted via the Android Central App

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

I have the cable but it's not working, TWRP won't mount the otg.

ali syed3

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
set warranty bit recovery

I have a problem when I upgrade my note3 in lolipop framwaer my device not rooted in recovery mode nd thay show (set warranty bit : recovery )hae any solution so plz mail me

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital