Alternatives to Touch Control (Swipe to Wake)

tongrhj

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
My power button on the Nexus 4 doesn't work very well.

Before this, I used a (paid) app called TouchControl that let you use gestures to swipe to wake your phone and to lock it. Upgrading to Lollipop broke the app though, and it is no longer supported.

HELP! What's the alternative?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
My power button on the Nexus 4 doesn't work very well.

Before this, I used a (paid) app called TouchControl that let you use gestures to swipe to wake your phone and to lock it. Upgrading to Lollipop broke the app though, and it is no longer supported.

HELP! What's the alternative?

you can use Nova Prime + Screen Off and Lock App for OFF -

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g2/334984-using-nova-launcher-double-tap-turn-off.html

you can try these too -

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...et.maicas.android.wsleep&hl=en&token=G7MMoLJ1

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...it.android.smartscreenon&hl=en&token=0JWaWynZ

let us know what works.

good luck.

tongrhj

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Is there really no way to do this with the screen? The Smart Screen ON app is great, but there's no way I'm reaching all the way to the proximity sensor to switch the phone on.

I'm already using Screen Off to do it. Even better than the Nova Launcher Double-tap gesture for the desktop, replace the Google Now swipe-activated shortcut from the home button with Screen Off, so you can switch the screen off no matter what app you're in. Personally, double-tap triggers too many times by accident, and never when I needed it to on the Nexus 4. Swipe up and swipe left and rights perform much more reliably in my case.

Thanks for the varied suggestions though. The struggle is real. The search goes on!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Is there really no way to do this with the screen? The Smart Screen ON app is great, but there's no way I'm reaching all the way to the proximity sensor to switch the phone on.

I'm already using Screen Off to do it. Even better than the Nova Launcher Double-tap gesture for the desktop, replace the Google Now swipe-activated shortcut from the home button with Screen Off, so you can switch the screen off no matter what app you're in. Personally, double-tap triggers too many times by accident, and never when I needed it to on the Nexus 4. Swipe up and swipe left and rights perform much more reliably in my case.

Thanks for the varied suggestions though. The struggle is real. The search goes on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bh15gU_Fuo

tongrhj

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I did mention that I upgraded to Lollipop.

I forgot to mention that a consequence of that upgrade is that Xposed Modules no longer work (and hence the knock knock module you posted doesn't work sadface). I have lost a lot of functionality that I would like back at some stage, but lollipop is good enough that I'm persisting with it and not going back to 4.4.4.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I did mention that I upgraded to Lollipop.

I forgot to mention that a consequence of that upgrade is that Xposed Modules no longer work (and hence the knock knock module you posted doesn't work sadface). I have lost a lot of functionality that I would like back at some stage, but lollipop is good enough that I'm persisting with it and not going back to 4.4.4.
To do this in Lollipop requires 2 parts...

DT2W - Double Tap to Wake - Use a custom kernel like Hellscore... this requires Root, the kernel, a kernel manager to set options (Hellscore Kernel Manager), and setting SELinux security to Permissive, it works well and is pretty easy on battery, the battery you lose using the DT2W option is gained from the customer kernel, so it's about a wash compared to stock kernel.

DT2S - Double Tap to Sleep - Use Nova Launcher... set a shortcut for gesture Double Tap to a an app that puts the phone to sleep, take your pick, there are lots in the Play Store.

Its not difficult, no power button needed, no Xposed, so tricky apps or any anything terrible that can't be quickly undone.

tongrhj

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Those were great instructions.

I've installed Hellscore Kernel and Hellscore and enabled DT2W. It's not as reliable as Swipe 2 Wake on Touch Control, but if the battery consumption is that superior, it's worth it (i can't tell, battery life is just rubbish either way).

For DT2S, even better than using Nova Launcher to activate on the desktop, I replace Google Now from the home button to open an app like Screen Lock instead. So I just swipe up from the home button whenever i want my phone off, no matter which app I'm in. It's brilliant and even easier to do than before.

mochaweeds

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Good day. Could you kindly tell me what TouchControl app is that. There's quite a few apps out there with the same name. And does it really wake up the screen by swiping up? I've never heard of an android app that can do that. Do you need your phone to be rooted? Can it work on Gingerbread (Android 2.3.7)? Thank you for your kind reply.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith