Kernal installation

Aniket Mhatre

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I am new to rooting process. Somehow i managed to unlock my bootloader and root my nexus 4 using nexus root tool(name might be different). After unlocking bootloader all my data was erased. So my doubt is if i try to install custom kernel will it erase my data again? Only kernal no custom rom. I am on 5.1 lollipop. I have heard that franciscofranko kernal for nexus 4 is pretty good.

Last edited:

Aniket Mhatre

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hellscore is my favorite by far, use Hellscore Kernel Manager to enable DT2W.
What all features you get with it? Does double tap to wake up works? Any issues with this kernel? As it is my first time so asking. After installing this kernel how to unroot my nexus 4 if i want to unroot it

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Double tap to wake (DT2W) is built in the kernel, use the kernel manager to enable it... I also turn up the audio and undervolt a little, otherwise the stock config is optimized for battery life and to run cool.

Why unroot? It's a Nexus, it's meant to be rooted... My Nexus devices have never been without root for over 24 hours since I get them in my possession.

Aniket Mhatre

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Double tap to wake (DT2W) is built in the kernel, use the kernel manager to enable it... I also turn up the audio and undervolt a little, otherwise the stock config is optimized for battery life and to run cool.

Why unroot? It's a Nexus, it's meant to be rooted... My Nexus devices have never been without root for over 24 hours since I get them in my possession.
Can you provide exact link for downloading the kernel and steps how to install it?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
For getting ota updates ota is necessary
LOL... OTA's, why bother, this is a Nexus device you just flash the factory images. That being said, root is usually not the issue since Complete Unroot is an option in SuperSU, the real issue is any changes you make as root... if the recovery, /system partition, or /boot partition (ie. kernel) is modified the OTA won't go through anyway, rooted or not, so if you are rooted, make a change, then unroot, the OTA will fail anyway. Since it is always best to factory default after an upgrade, there is no advantage to an OTA on a Nexus device when you can just flash the factory images. Basically, any number of things you are doing will stop the OTA, you would essentially have to factory image, then take the OTA anyway, which is dumb. What I am trying to say here is you don't need to worry about this, IF another OTA comes for the N4, just flash the factory image and be G2G.

Can you provide exact link for downloading the kernel and steps how to install it?
No, the process is too simple, you download the kernel zip and flash it in TWRP, reboot and install HKM... if you need more information, look in the HellsCore kernel thread on XDA here

Aniket Mhatre

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
LOL... OTA's, why bother, this is a Nexus device you just flash the factory images. That being said, root is usually not the issue since Complete Unroot is an option in SuperSU, the real issue is any changes you make as root... if the recovery, /system partition, or /boot partition (ie. kernel) is modified the OTA won't go through anyway, rooted or not, so if you are rooted, make a change, then unroot, the OTA will fail anyway. Since it is always best to factory default after an upgrade, there is no advantage to an OTA on a Nexus device when you can just flash the factory images. Basically, any number of things you are doing will stop the OTA, you would essentially have to factory image, then take the OTA anyway, which is dumb. What I am trying to say here is you don't need to worry about this, IF another OTA comes for the N4, just flash the factory image and be G2G.

No, the process is too simple, you download the kernel zip and flash it in TWRP, reboot and install HKM... if you need more information, look in the HellsCore kernel thread on XDA here
I am getting an error after entering recovery mode. No command. Now what to do?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You have boot into TWRP and flash it, restart your phone and hold VOL DN and PWR button from off... Then start recovery, you flash it from there... If you are unfamiliar with doing this, you might want to check out a few YouTube videos on using TWRP

Aniket Mhatre

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
You have boot into TWRP and flash it, restart your phone and hold VOL DN and PWR button from off... Then start recovery, you flash it from there... If you are unfamiliar with doing this, you might want to check out a few YouTube videos on using TWRP
Finally installed the kernel using cwm. Thank you for your replies.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Last question when i flash my nexus 4 with new updates will that change my kernel?
Most likely... There are some custom ROMs which preserve a custom kernel on updates, but stock will overwrite it. NEVER take an update if you are modified, especially with custom recovery, you can soft brick.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams