SPIGEN Ultra Hybrid, Neo Hybrid & Slim Armor

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Neo Hybrid case as well and fit/feel is great. No problems whatsoever with this case and crystal screen protector by Spigen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I ordered the Ultra Slim Whatcha-ma-Call-It and it should be here this week. Assuming I don't drop my phone, again, I'll get a pic of it up when it comes in.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The Ultra hybrid is really nice. The other reviewers are right about having to remove the protective film. It's stuck on there real good and can be easily mistaken for being part of the case. I have several cases and the buttons work the best on this case.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25995482/IMG_20131107_174608956.jpg https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25995482/IMG_20131107_174705552.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25995482/IMG_20131107_174720769.jpg

That's great to hear because this is one of the cars that I purchased and am looking forward to it. Also ordered the Supcase and the Poetic bumper.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have Slim Armor case which I think is great case but I am interested in slimmer neo hybrid case. The reason I went with slim armor is I believed I need the extra protection. I also thought tpu neo hybrid would be flimsy and not very durable though the tpu in slim armor is very well made and rigid.

Those that have neo hybrid case is back case where can you feel tpu very solid and is there give in you where you actually feel the back N5?

With the slim armor the tpu is weakest in middle where the plastic mid section covers the tpu.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Man, I have been using this case ALL DAY and never knew that there was a film on both the inside AND outside! Thanks for that info. :)

I do have to say though, I prefer the feel of the phone naked vs in the hybrid bumper case (the case feels too angular) ...But I can't imagine dropping and damaging my shiny new Nexus, so I guess I will deal with this case until I find something that feels better.

My case came with inserts for the back. Did you get those too? Are you going to use them?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

XSSIVE

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Just got my slim armor (white) and neo hybrid (silver) in the mail since I couldn't decide based on pics alone which one I wanted so I ordered both. No problems with fitment or buttons with either one. I can take comparison pics if anyone wants them. There are tons of pics out there already but figured I'd offer. Despite the tiny bit of added thickness over the neo I think I like the slim armor better, but it's a tough call. I may just keep both ans swap back and forth now and again to change things up.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Just got my slim armor (white) and neo hybrid (silver) in the mail since I couldn't decide based on pics alone which one I wanted so I ordered both. No problems with fitment or buttons with either one. I can take comparison pics if anyone wants them. There are tons of pics out there already but figured I'd offer. Despite the tiny bit of added thickness over the neo I think I like the slim armor better, but it's a tough call. I may just keep both ans swap back and forth now and again to change things up.

The pics would be nice if you want to.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7

XSSIVE

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Since there are a bunch of typical phone in case type pics all over the place now I figured I'd shoot the ones I didn't see that show the thickness difference between the Nexus 5 itself, Neo Hybrid and Slim Armor. Despite it being the thickest I still like the Slim Armor best.

spigen_nexus_3.jpg

spigen_nexus_1.jpg

spigen_nexus_2.jpg

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Since there are a bunch of typical phone in case type pics all over the place now I figured I'd shoot the ones I didn't see that show the thickness difference between the Nexus 5 itself, Neo Hybrid and Slim Armor. Despite it being the thickest I still like the Slim Armor best.

http://davanzodesigns.com/spigen_nexus_3.jpg

http://davanzodesigns.com/spigen_nexus_1.jpg

http://davanzodesigns.com/spigen_nexus_2.jpg

How thick is tpu case on neo hybrid compared to the slim armor tpu?

The parts of the tpu that are exposed on slim armor are beef up compared the neo hybrid case's tpu back.

The slim armor exposed tpu is thick and solid with not much give.

How much give is there to back of the neo hybrid?

Can you feel the back the nexus 5 if you were press finger down back firmly of neo hybrid case?

Also is Neo Hybrid notable slimmer in hand compared to slim armor?

I have slim armor but feel I would like to go with slimmer neo hybrid as long as gives the same level of protection for back case. I am not worried so much as drops but scuffs to back my Nexus 5. I am mechanic so I will have tools in pocket that will rub,press and bang up against my Nexus 5.

XSSIVE

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
The TPU on the Neo is 1/16" thick on the whole back, just measured it for you. I don't notice any give since the phone is touching the TPU all across the back. The Neo is actually wider than the Slim by around 1/16", which is half the thickness of the plastic band around the edge.

I think the recessed camera would be a benefit of the Slim for you if you toss a tool in your pocket that hits or slides across the case. Since the Neo leaves the lens flush with the case the tool could crack or scratch the camera lens but won't touch the recessed lens when using the Slim.

alltechinside

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I've already posted my thoughts about the Spigen Ultra Hybrid case on the Ultra Hybrid case thread so head over there if you like. Basically I said that the case will protect the phone pretty well. Worth $10 for me but if you want a more premium build, get the Neo Hybrid.
For those that wants a video:

Last edited:

someonesim

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm having difficult time to choose between Neo Hybrid and Slim Armor. Most of my question was answered, but one. Does these two cases had issue to fit headset , specifically right angled headset jack ?