Spigen Tempered Glass Screen Protectors

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
That being said, it looks like they have a new series of 'NANO.SLIM" they introduced for the GS4 and iPhones (but not (yet?) for Nexus), running as thin as 0.15mm. While it would be the most stealth install, and should cover against scratches as well, I suspect it wouldn't do as well vs. impact - depends on what you're looking for.

Interesting... I would assume that the thinner one would also allow for slightly easier installation due to it not being quite as rigid, though there is that warning about flexibility. But no rounded edges. =|

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The one I installed on my N7 (by i-Blason) is 0.24mm and was pretty flexible. Not so sure I'd want one more than 1/2 again as thick on a smaller screen.

But... Other companies are starting to announce. Nexus 5 Ghost Glass Tempered Glass Screen Protector | MIME for example. Interestingly, Mime offers 'Feather' and 'Ghost' models that look suspiciously like the Spigen models in spec (feather is 0.15mm). I have a sneaky suspicion we may be seeing a variety of 'name brand' units that are under contracted manufacture from a common supplier. MIght have to peek around on ebay or alibaba...

Others to watch... iLoome has begun marketing a very flexible tempered glass SP (example: iloome Galaxy Note 3 Screen Protector - Premium Flexible Glass) for a number of devices. Oh, and guess what - 0.15mm... imagine that... Nothing yet for the N5, but they have developed for Nexus in the past, including N4, so it's a reasonable expectation. They also do a series of 'normal' tempered glass SP.

Last edited:

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the specs on the 't' vs 'tR' for the Note 3 (on their Amazon product page), they specify that the 'tR' is 0.4 mm, and that the 't' is 0.26mm - and referenced as being 35% slimmer. Well.... 0.4mm less 35% leaves 0.26mm.

Fast forward to the same respective models for the Nexus 5. The 'tR' doesn't indicate thickness, but the 't' is only 0.26mm and listed as "35% slimmer and lighter than the previous model." Short of direct confirmation to the contrary, I think it's reasonable to presume that the 'tR' model is 0.4mm thick (which makes sense to a degree - if you're going to be able to roll the edges without their becoming too thin at a point, you may need to start with a slightly thicker slab).

So 't' looks to be the best option if you plan on using a case (thinner, lighter glass, inappropriate w/o a case as the exposed edges are more susceptible to chipping; while the 'tR' is best without a case.

That being said, it looks like they have a new series of 'NANO.SLIM" they introduced for the GS4 and iPhones (but not (yet?) for Nexus), running as thin as 0.15mm. While it would be the most stealth install, and should cover against scratches as well, I suspect it wouldn't do as well vs. impact - depends on what you're looking for.
You're assumption was correct. The official specs are now located on their website. The tR is listed at 0.4mm and the r is 0.26mm.

tR: SPIGEN SGP Nexus 5 Screen Protector GLAS.tR SLIM Premium Tempered Glass | SPIGEN SGP
t: SPIGEN SGP Nexus 5 Screen Protector GLAS.t SLIM Premium Tempered Glass | SPIGEN SGP

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I currently own a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I use a Seidio Vitreo. I don't think I can ever go back to plastic. The glass just feels so much more smoother than plastic. It looks and feels like you don't even have a screen protector on your phone. Not to mention that the glass helps to absorb impact. If you drop your phone the glass will shatter before your actual screen does.

I emailed Seidio and they don't know if they will be supporting the Google Nexus 5 so I ordered 2 of the SPIGEN glass. I've used the SPIGEN plastic protectors so I know SPIGEN is a quality company. I hope the glass is as good as their plastic because I need a good quality glass on my phones now. I ordered 2 in case I mess up the initial install.

While they don't have a Google Nexus 5 compatibility chart yet, they do have one for a few phones located here. If you look at the Apple iPhone 5, the Neo Hybrid and the Slim Armour are both compatible with both tr and t glass so hopefully that is the same the Google Nexus 5.

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the specs on the 't' vs 'tR' for the Note 3 (on their Amazon product page), they specify that the 'tR' is 0.4 mm, and that the 't' is 0.26mm - and referenced as being 35% slimmer. Well.... 0.4mm less 35% leaves 0.26mm.

Fast forward to the same respective models for the Nexus 5. The 'tR' doesn't indicate thickness, but the 't' is only 0.26mm and listed as "35% slimmer and lighter than the previous model." Short of direct confirmation to the contrary, I think it's reasonable to presume that the 'tR' model is 0.4mm thick (which makes sense to a degree - if you're going to be able to roll the edges without their becoming too thin at a point, you may need to start with a slightly thicker slab).

So 't' looks to be the best option if you plan on using a case (thinner, lighter glass, inappropriate w/o a case as the exposed edges are more susceptible to chipping; while the 'tR' is best without a case.

Looking at the compatibility chart on their website, it looks like if you're using most of their cases, either one will work fine (I'm assuming because the rounded edges on the tR end up making the edges roughly the same size as on the t). As for non-spigen cases they obviously can't make any claims to fit.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
would anyone know by chance if the tempered glass screen protectors fit well with any of spigens previous cases? thinking about buying a tempered glass protector and a neo hybrid and was wondering if the case would get in the way of the tempered glass.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I love the video of him hitting the screen protector with a screw driver.... You could take your new Nexus right out the box and run a screw driver, keys even a razor blade over the naked glass and it won't leave a scratch.. Pretty much the only thing that is going to scratch Gorilla glass is a Diamond and Sand.... You drop it on a rock glass first it's probably going to break depending on how high it's dropped from.... I have not used a screen protector on my phone since I gave my up my Nexus One.... I have had a case on my GS3 but no screen protector.. more scared of the plastic back and edges getting damaged vs the screen....

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I love the video of him hitting the screen protector with a screw driver.... You could take your new Nexus right out the box and run a screw driver, keys even a razor blade over the naked glass and it won't leave a scratch.. Pretty much the only thing that is going to scratch Gorilla glass is a Diamond and Sand.... You drop it on a rock glass first it's probably going to break depending on how high it's dropped from.... I have not used a screen protector on my phone since I gave my up my Nexus One.... I have had a case on my GS3 but no screen protector.. more scared of the plastic back and edges getting damaged vs the screen....

Yeah, nobody has ever scratched gorilla glass before... nobody... #eyeroll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDUBXLLaE88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EimSyAIuDo

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Keys, knives... they don't scratch it easily. But it only takes a single grain of sand.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
With a rating of 6H, it will scratch much more easily than SP's rated at 8-9H. Of course, it'll still resist scratches far better than normal film SP's that are typically 3-4H at best.

Edit: They've since changed the Listing to remove the words "Tempered Glass" and clarified that it just a film protector (albeit a heartier film than most)

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Keys, knives... they don't scratch it easily. But it only takes a single grain of sand.

So true . I get my glas tr tomorrow to complete my spigen protection. I am running black spg slim armor case right now.( Which I love though is a finger print magnet at times)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

dvrmstrng

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Attempted to install my Spigen GLAStR last night. Perfectly clean phone, installed exactly to spec and had two large air bubbles that once pushed to the edge of the phone would reappear, almost as if there were two places where adhesive was missing. Sent Spigen an e-mail and it looks like another will cost me $15. Guess im off to Best Buy in the meantime to find something to keep the phone safe.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Attempted to install my Spigen GLAStR last night. Perfectly clean phone, installed exactly to spec and had two large air bubbles that once pushed to the edge of the phone would reappear, almost as if there were two places where adhesive was missing. Sent Spigen an e-mail and it looks like another will cost me $15. Guess im off to Best Buy in the meantime to find something to keep the phone safe.

That's the one thing I'm slightly concerned about with Spigen. Their policy does not provide for reasonable customer service in the event that a non-detectable imperfection in their production prevent the possibility of successful installation. Essentially, their $15 replacement policy - while great for covering against cracking, etc - is, for them, insuring that you have no recourse by which to return/negate the sale, even if the fault lies with them.

Generally speaking, reviews have been great for Spigen products and service, but I'm considering holding off a short while to evaluate other options (I had defect issues with my initial glass SP for my N7, and the manufacturer replaced it at their expense).

dvrmstrng

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
That's the one thing I'm slightly concerned about with Spigen. Their policy does not provide for reasonable customer service in the event that a non-detectable imperfection in their production prevent the possibility of successful installation. Essentially, their $15 replacement policy - while great for covering against cracking, etc - is, for them, insuring that you have no recourse by which to return/negate the sale, even if the fault lies with them.

Generally speaking, reviews have been great for Spigen products and service, but I'm considering holding off a short while to evaluate other options (I had defect issues with my initial glass SP for my N7, and the manufacturer replaced it at their expense).

Exactly, I would much rather return the one I have and get a refund versus paying $15 for a second to have the possibility of actually not installing this one properly. I did the first installation perfectly and nothing would allow the protector to adhere to the screen in those two spots.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, I would much rather return the one I have and get a refund versus paying $15 for a second to have the possibility of actually not installing this one properly. I did the first installation perfectly and nothing would allow the protector to adhere to the screen in those two spots.

Call Spigen back up and insist they abide by their commitment and stated policy from their own website (note the highlighted 'popup' Satisfaction Guarantee, and that it appears specifically on this product's page):

Spigen GLAStR Nexus 5.JPG

If you bought it directly from Spigen's site, their official policy states you are covered:
(SOURCE)
Our Returns Policy
Last Updated: Sep 12, 2013 03:22PM PDT
As long as you purchased from our store directly, you can return the items back to us.
Products can be returned to our office within 30 days of the purchase date.

The products must be returned in the original packaging and with all the items included to avoid the restocking fee (minimum of $5). For example, if you purchased a case. When returning, the case must be returned with the original box and the included screen protector. It does not matter if the screen protector was used.

Don’t worry, we’ll take it back even if it is used.

Email our Customer Support to request for a refund on your product.
Please input "RMA Return Request" in your Subject Line

We will provide you with the RMA form to fill out to process all Returns and Exchanges.
For Orders that were placed after 30 Days, no returns are accepted but please refer to our Warranty and Programs!
If you bought from them on their Amazon or Ebay store, the same terms of the satisfaction guarantee should apply:
(SOURCE)
Returns Policy for Official Spigen Ebay and Amazon
Last Updated: Sep 12, 2013 03:25PM PDT
Our Official Spigen Amazon and Ebay stores will have the same great 30-Day Returns policy!

If you would like to make a request for an Amazon return please contact our Amazon Team at CS@spigen.com.
Or, use the Amazon Returns Center by clicking here!

If you would like to make a request for an Ebay return please contact our Ebay Team by clicking on their seller profile:
spigen_inc on eBay

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I get my spigen glas tr in a few hours so I will post a update on the install. If the intall shows the product is at fault then I am just going to go with the tried and true spg film screen protectors.

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I get my spigen glas tr in a few hours so I will post a update on the install. If the intall shows the product is at fault then I am just going to go with the tried and true spg film screen protectors.

I'm really interested to see if yours comes out good or not. Between XDA and here, I haven't seen an install without problems including my own when I got it a few days ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool