Nexus 5 Newbie Question on Wireless Charging

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey Folks,

I'm still getting my feet wet with the whole world of Android and Nexus 5 etc. So I've been watching a lot of videos here that these guys at AndroidCentral have been doing (you guys should have me on for Noob Feedback Day, I'm tellin ya!) and I've been learning a lot.

I have a couple of questions though on wireless charging.

Is there a wireless charger made specifically for the Nexus 5?
Does it have what some folks call "Smart Charge" where it stops attempting to charge the phone after it is full?

I think the guys on AC were using a Samsung charger on some of their phones but I am not sure (is my noob showing?) whether brand needs brand or whether you can be a little promiscuous and get an Orb or a Samsung Charge Pad or whatever.

Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope (no, I ain't batting my eyelashes at you).

benjdm

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure all qi chargers will stop from overcharging the battery. The Verge reported Google was going to introduce a new qi charger but it hasn't happened yet.

Posted via Android Central App

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure all qi chargers will stop from overcharging the battery. The Verge reported Google was going to introduce a new qi charger but it hasn't happened yet.

Ok I'll wait and see what they come up with. As it is I am still trying to sort out a couple of other issues like my darned voicemail notification not showing up. I got nothing but time I guess LOL

paa79594

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Is it "safe" to be using the charger throughout the day? Leave it on some, go use it, put it back, etc. Harmless, right?

jon_stewart

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm using one of the cheap generic chargers, and the current being drawn by it when the phone is fully charged is the same as if the the phone was removed altogether. Ie <2 watts. When it's actually charging ie the battery is less than fully charged, it's drawing 5-6 watts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
That's a great deal! I already bought the LG wcp-300 for $40 at Verizon a week ago. The only thing I didn't like about the Nokia chargers is that it isn't micro USB powered like the LG model.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Ignore the sounds of my kids drumming in the background. Video taken quickly on a music stand because it was in the light, clean-ish and close to an outlet.

thanks for the video. questions -

1. does the phone get hot after charging for a while?
2. does that constant blinking light bother you at night while you're trying to sleep?
3. how fast is charging?
4. does it charge and then stop? or does it sputter off and on off and on etc.?
5. how finicky is the placement of the phone in order to charge?

benjdm

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the video. questions -

1. does the phone get hot after charging for a while?
2. does that constant blinking light bother you at night while you're trying to sleep?
3. how fast is charging?
4. does it charge and then stop? or does it sputter off and on off and on etc.?
5. how finicky is the placement of the phone in order to charge?
1. Not that I've noticed.
2. It does, but I've found ways to deal with it - blocking the light with a book, keeping the charger below bed level, things like that.
3. Fast enough that it doesn't annoy me....I've never timed it nor have I used the Nexus 5 stock charger yet. Heck, that one is still sitting in the box, as I already had enough chargers. I think the wireless charger takes an input of 1.8A and the phone ends up getting 1.2A. (This thread says it outputs 1A. Somewhere around 1A, I guess.)
4. It definitely will either stop or trickle charge once the device is full. In the morning the charger will have a white light (not blinking green) and the device will be at 100%.
5. It does have to be lined up but it never takes me more than one or two seconds to do it. The Nexus 7 is iffier because it's so much bigger than the puck - that can take me up to 10 seconds to line up.

Best I can do. In the video you can see I lined it up pretty easily; it's always like that.

Last edited:

jon_stewart

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll just throw in the answers for my cheapie!

1. No - not appreciably
2. I find black duct tape, neatly trimmed, actually mutes the light by about 90%, but you can still see it.
3. Not a significant delay.
4. The power draw when the phone is charged is the same as if the phone was not there, so I'm assuming that it just trickles after that, the same as being plugged in.
5. Not very. Roughly on the centre is fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes