Extended aftermarket batteries going to happen?

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I looked at the teardown for the n5 and seen the battery looks fairly easy to remove, but isn't your standard pop out battery.

I am on the fence of upgrading to the n5 or sticking with my original Galaxy Nexus with its extended battery a little longer.

Will this new n5 design kill the chance of aftermarket batteries in the future? I searched but didn't see any threads regarding this.

Thanks

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about that, but my gnex battery was also real bad. I can asure you the battery life on the n5 is highly acceptable. This is coming from someone spoiled by the notes battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the teardown for the n5 and seen the battery looks fairly easy to remove, but isn't your standard pop out battery.

I am on the fence of upgrading to the n5 or sticking with my original Galaxy Nexus with its extended battery a little longer.

Will this new n5 design kill the chance of aftermarket batteries in the future? I searched but didn't see any threads regarding this.

Thanks

I went from the Galaxy Nexus with the standard battery to the Nexus 5 and I can say it definitely lasts much longer, especially streaming music.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Extended batteries usually mean a replacement rear cover with an accommodating bulge. The Nexus 4's rear cover had a lot of stuff built in to it - several radio antennas as well as the Qi charger coil. Is the N5's cover built the same way?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it, since it's not a "removable" battery. But I find no need for it. From having owned first the GNex, then the N4, the N5 battery is lasting me almost twice as long. That means I now have anywhere from 40% to 60% battery left when I go to bed around midnight. The other Nexus phones were near dead at that point.

anon(5884338)

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site

Thanks

I had the exact same thought as you, I told myself I'll never buy a phone without removable battery. I had a gnex with the 3800 mah battery and that got me through the day with about 30% left. I was so worried with about getting a n5 with such a smaller battery but have been pretty impressed so far gets me through the day, and also this thing charges so much faster than the gnex a quick 20 minute rest on my wireless charger provides a very solid top up. I say definitely get the nexus 5 I did coming from the gnex and couldn't be happier.

Posted via Android Central App

alltechinside

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Thanks

Nexus 7's battery can also be taken out but they don't have aftermarket batteries (only stock batteries). The Nexus 5 isn't meant for the battery to be taken out. I would still recommend the nexus 5 though. It has okay battery life and if you want more juice, get an external battery pack (like those anker series)

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
regardless of how improved the N5 battery is, it isn't nearly enough. If someone makes a real extended in the same form factor as the original I'm in. I suspect the extra heat from the Qi charging will have some effect on shortening battery life depending on how hard you are in your battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol