Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do major case companies support the Nexus devices?

I just ordered a Nexus 5 to possibly replace my HTC One GPE. In case shopping, I looked at all the major brands: Speck, Otterbox, Urban Armor Gear. I ended up ordering two SPIGEN cases because it seems like none of the major companies support the Nexus devices, with UAG (my favorite case brand) openly admitting on their Facebook that they have no plans to develop a case for the N5. I've never owned a Nexus device before. I've gone from iPhone to Samsung Note II, back to iPhone, to HTC One GPE. I've always had a phone with case support.

Is this typical of Nexus devices, or is it just because it's a new phone?

Default Re: Do major case companies support the Nexus devices?

I know Seidio will also be making cases for the N5 (i'll be picking up their Dilex case when they release it), but yeah it seems like most of the major cases makers are not producing cases for the N5 which sucks. I know Otterbox didn't make any cases for the N4, but with the N5 being available through carries so quickly this time I thought more case manufactures would be on board to make cases for it.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,835 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhailov View Post
    Is this typical of Nexus devices, or is it just because it's a new phone?
    Volume.

There's "too much" choice on the Android side. The iPhone will always have more cases because it's cheaper. The only Android phones that could possibly get "iPhone-level" support are the GS3, GS4, Note 2, and Note 3.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

The HTC One seems to have decent case support too. I'm currently rocking a white UAG case on my GPE version.

Not a deal breaker for me. The spigen case I ordered seems just fine for protecting my investment. Being a Nexus noob, I just wasn't sure if this was the norm. Would like to see some bigger case manufacturers support this phone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

For high quality leather cases, I've bought from TETDED for my phones and tablets. Although they are not as well known, they make cases for most cell phones, including the Nexus 5. These cases are of similar quality to the those manufactured by Vaja, but they have a much better selection at a much lower price with free shipping. They're made using real, high-grade leather.

For the N5, they make a vertical flip cover, horizontal flip cover, and a back cover. For example, the back cover costs $38. Personally, I like the flip cover, which incorporates the sleep/wake function.

TETDED back cover for Nexus 5

Granted, this type of case is not for everyone, but with a glass screen protector it provides good protection and looks very nice.

Seidio sent me an email yesterday concerning cases for the Nexus 5. They are expected to release them by the end of the month.