Nexus 5 bumper case problem

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: nexus 5 bumper case problem

Called GP and they are sending me a refund and letting me keep the case....I like the bumper case, is this issue on all of them or just the black and grey case?

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

wish i read up on this thread before i bought the bumper case... we'll see how it goes. i got the gray one so i'll be on the lookout for the aforementioned issues. i did get it recently when the play store was selling accessories for 25% off so it that may ease any durability/quality issues i may see...

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

wish i read up on this thread before i bought the bumper case... we'll see how it goes. i got the gray one so i'll be on the lookout for the aforementioned issues. i did get it recently when the play store was selling accessories for 25% off so it that may ease any durability/quality issues i may see...
UPDATE: i received the case on saturday and have some observations:
- the case IS flimsier at the bottom edge as another poster pointed out.
- the case's edges are quite rigid and are raised a mm or two and provide modest protection; you can place it face down and the screen will not touch any flat surface. the same is true for the camera lens; there seems to be a mm of protection so the lens would not touch any flat surface area if the phone is placed on its back.
- the gray color case i got is not gray but more of dark off-white.
- the sides of the case all around is canted; this seems to aid in grip
- the inside of the case has about a mm raised border all the way around. that combined with the canted sides seems to provide a "buffer" of space for the phone in case of drops. this seems to be a smart, albeit, plain and simple design to protect against drops.
- the case looks cheap. its worth $10. max.

in hindsight, i should've gotten the speck case for the same amount of money. i'm not thrilled with their color selection but they have well made, well protecting cases. i think i'll be ordering a speck case soon...

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Like others have mentioned, this case is not worth the pricetag. I assumed they were just being overly harsh when I read people saying this before, and by the Pictures on Google Play I thought it looked worth the price. It's not at all. It really is super cheap. You can tell they cut corners like crazy to keep manufacturing costs low. I don't know why it bothered me, but I really expected the "Nexus" branding on the back to be more indented like it was etched in. Instead it feels cheap since it was just printed on the back. Get the case if you absolutely LOVE the look, but the buttons are freaking stiff and the case itself just didn't impress me. Back to my Spigen Neo Hybrid.

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

UPDATE 2: i RMA'd the gray case and ordered and received a black one.

- the fit is no different than the gray one; slightly flimsy at the bottom but otherwise tight finish all around.
- the color is truly black. makes the phone looks quite stealthy since it even has the 'nexus' written on the back and its not as obvious looking as it would on lighter colored cases. a drawback for some people might be that the phone is "bigger" than when naked.
- the buttons are easy enough if a bit firm to press.
- have had the case for 2 full weeks now. i do NOT have any discoloration or fading or peeling or other quality issues that others have noted. perhaps google updated the quality of the case...?
- i've dropped the phone while sitting in office chair height and it skidded about 3 feet on a tile floor. no scratches or dings or marks anywhere on the case. nothing broke on the phone. hurray!
- i have a pretty good grip on the phone since the bumper case has that matte rubbery feel and i also have the xtremeguard screen protector so the phone is virtually non-slip in my hands.

its not the most elegant or beautiful case but for what it does, the black bumper case has done and is doing its job. i did get the speck case for my wife - she loves it. i prefer the oem look of the google bumper case, especially since i have it in black.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I just received the gray one today. I like the look and feel for sure. Time will tell as far as the quality is concerned. I only paid $15.00 new so it was worth the gamble IMO.

Posted via Android Central App

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, 3 days later and all the horror stories about this case have come true. I have discoloring on all 4 corners and its pealing off on the sides. Glad I only dropped 15 bucks on this instead of the Google price. Very disappointing... The case fit nicely and I really liked the look of it too.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty