Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 bumper case problem

Around the outer lip of my case (which I love by the way) the rubber coating appears to be peeling off. At first I thought it was just lint from my picket, but now I'm sure its peeling away. I will try to get pics, but hard to see on camera. Is anyone else having this problem and do you think Google would send me another. For 40 bucks, I would think that shouldn't happen. Oh, its the black one.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: nexus 5 bumper case problem

I am having the same problem. I also have the black official case. I've only had it for 3 days now. I agree, for $40 I would expect better quality control.

I bought the gray bumper case from Google and got it yesterday. It did to start to peel a thin plastic layer very easily. I called Google and asked if this was normal and they said no and gave me a full refund and told me to order another case and I did.

Quote Originally Posted by tlan View Post
    I bought the gray bumper case from Google and got it yesterday. It did to start to peel a thin plastic layer very easily. I called Google and asked if this was normal and they said no and gave me a full refund and told me to order another case and I did.

I have the same problem but they asked me to return the case first but I don't want to leave my phone unprotected.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arquimedesnew View Post
    I have the same problem but they asked me to return the case first but I don't want to leave my phone unprotected.
    I haven't seen peeling on the case but my gray case has seen major discoloration. The case looks 3 years old after a month and the phone just goes into my pocket. Google offered to replace it and I asked for the black one. Now hearing about the peeling issue, I probably should have looked for another case.

Anybody else having this problem? What other impressions (good or bad) do you guys have? Overall, is it worth the $35 price tag?

I've had no issues with my bumper so far. I've got the yellow/green color and have seen no signs of wear/peeling and really no visible dirt either. This is by far the most slim-fitting, sleek case I've found out there and I think it's worth every dime. Sure I'd like it to be cheaper, but if you really want a case that fits like a glove and doesn't add any unnecessary bulk to the N5 this is your best option. I also love the bright neon color and get a lot of compliments/inquiries about it.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SKI_K2 View Post
    I've had no issues with my bumper so far. I've got the yellow/green color and have seen no signs of wear/peeling and really no visible dirt either. This is by far the most slim-fitting, sleek case I've found out there and I think it's worth every dime. Sure I'd like it to be cheaper, but if you really want a case that fits like a glove and doesn't add any unnecessary bulk to the N5 this is your best option. I also love the bright neon color and get a lot of compliments/inquiries about it.
    I own the bumper case, Tetded leather, Rinke Slim, and Spigen Neo Hybrid (yeah, I'm a bit OCD). My favorite daily case is the Rinke Slim. It is minimalistic (so slim it's like it's not there) and has a nice grippy texture. The Tetded leather is exceptional with a magnetic cover, but I don't use it unless I'm going out on the town

For me, the bumper case was overpriced for what it is (really worth about $5), looks a bit on the cheap side, and there's better alternatives out there.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Accidental duplicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    I own the bumper case, Tetded leather, Rinke Slim, and Spigen Neo Hybrid (yeah, I'm a bit OCD). My favorite daily case is the Rinke Slim. It is minimalistic (so slim it's like it's not there) and has a nice grippy texture. The Tetded leather is exceptional with a magnetic cover, but I don't use it unless I'm going out on the town

For me, the bumper case was overpriced for what it is (really worth about $5), looks a bit on the cheap side, and there's better alternatives out there.
    How would you compare the Nexus bumper to the Spigen Neo Hybrid (in terms of bulk, feel, protection)? I have that Spigen right now, but I'm not really loving it. It's fairly bulky, it's nearly impossible to take the phone out of the case, and my headphone jack has a right-angle at the plug-in, so it doesn't fit.

Yep, I'm getting the same bumper "dandruff" on mine. Want to make more? Just rub your fingernail across it. Kinda sux cus I really like the case, otherwise...
    ChuckG73 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by strav22 View Post
    I haven't seen peeling on the case but my gray case has seen major discoloration. The case looks 3 years old after a month and the phone just goes into my pocket. Google offered to replace it and I asked for the black one. Now hearing about the peeling issue, I probably should have looked for another case.
    I bought a gray case as well and have the same issue. Have areas that have already started to stain from hand oils and a corner is turning blue from a jean pocket. Also having the peeling issue around the buttons. I think I will be returning to Google for a black case, I think these issues will be much less noticeable.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcwalter88 View Post
    I bought a gray case as well and have the same issue. Have areas that have already started to stain from hand oils and a corner is turning blue from a jean pocket. Also having the peeling issue around the buttons. I think I will be returning to Google for a black case, I think these issues will be much less noticeable.
    Just got the replacement black bumper, it looks great (but so did the gray bumper when it was new). The black should avoid the discoloration but it negates having a white nexus. At least if i ever go naked, ill have the white exterior. I hope I don't see a peeling issue as others have seen.

Overall, I really like these cases. I prefer OEM cases that are guaranteed to fit and most likely will not damage the phone. I think its worth the extra money. Plus I like the Nexus on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by strav22 View Post
    ..but it negates having a white nexus.
    ..not quite. I ended up putting my black N5 in a case but I now wish I had gotten the white version because of the white ear speaker. That makes for a great but subtle visual cue for the proper orientation of the phone when you go and pick it up or pull it out of your pocket.

The black N5 has no visual cues that are quite as obvious to indicate orientation. Yes, there is the camera and speaker hole up top but they're no where near as obvious or quick to register as the nice white speaker.
    strav22 and mrsmumbles like this.

Called Google. Apparently since it is beyond the 15 day grace period I can only exchange for the same color under the warranty. I explained to the CSR that this would likely result in future replacements as the gray case picks up dirt and oil and blue jean dye rapidly. Didn't seem to matter. Just complete garbage that they charge 5x what other brands due for this case and it didn't make it a month in normal daily use.

Apparently my negative comments left in the survey swayed someone's mind and they are now giving me a refund and not making me send the case back. So now I can look at alternatives or get the black case. I will definitely do more research this time...

As it seems so many people on this thread already have the case, has anyone noticed that it fits loosely along the bottom edge of the screen?

I received mine yesterday, and was disappointed with this issue. I'm returning it, but am wondering if my problem was an isolated one, and I should re-order.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post

which Tetded case do you own? they look really nice, I'm thinking of buying the one like the LG quickcover case but the one with clasp on it so the flap will stay closed.

TETDED Premium Leather Case for Google Nexus 5 LTE /LG Nexus 5 D820 D821 -- Dijon III (LC: Black) - TETDED LIMITED

Quote Originally Posted by Justin DeTolla View Post
    As it seems so many people on this thread already have the case, has anyone noticed that it fits loosely along the bottom edge of the screen?

I received mine yesterday, and was disappointed with this issue. I'm returning it, but am wondering if my problem was an isolated one, and I should re-order.

Thanks!
    It is a little flimsier along the bottom edge, but that's due to the cutout for the USB port. Most all cases I've owned that are made of a softer material will suffer from this. There's just less rigidity in the areas where openings are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPhone 5s, iPad mini retina

Global Posts
    1,310 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I got the black bumper case and two of the corners have already started peeling off. UGHHHHHH I have only had the case for less than a week.

Global Posts
    1,310 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Called GP and they are sending me a refund and letting me keep the case....I like the bumper case, is this issue on all of them or just the black and grey case?

wish i read up on this thread before i bought the bumper case... we'll see how it goes. i got the gray one so i'll be on the lookout for the aforementioned issues. i did get it recently when the play store was selling accessories for 25% off so it that may ease any durability/quality issues i may see...
    mobile:: Nexus 5 Black 16GB (5.0.1), LG G2 Black 32GB (RIP), iPhone 3GS White 16GB (retired)
    tablet: LG G Pad 8.3 White (4.4.2), Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab 32GB (ICS)

Quote Originally Posted by g2_havok View Post
    wish i read up on this thread before i bought the bumper case... we'll see how it goes. i got the gray one so i'll be on the lookout for the aforementioned issues. i did get it recently when the play store was selling accessories for 25% off so it that may ease any durability/quality issues i may see...
    UPDATE: i received the case on saturday and have some observations:
    - the case IS flimsier at the bottom edge as another poster pointed out.
    - the case's edges are quite rigid and are raised a mm or two and provide modest protection; you can place it face down and the screen will not touch any flat surface. the same is true for the camera lens; there seems to be a mm of protection so the lens would not touch any flat surface area if the phone is placed on its back.
    - the gray color case i got is not gray but more of dark off-white.
    - the sides of the case all around is canted; this seems to aid in grip
    - the inside of the case has about a mm raised border all the way around. that combined with the canted sides seems to provide a "buffer" of space for the phone in case of drops. this seems to be a smart, albeit, plain and simple design to protect against drops.
    - the case looks cheap. its worth $10. max.

in hindsight, i should've gotten the speck case for the same amount of money. i'm not thrilled with their color selection but they have well made, well protecting cases. i think i'll be ordering a speck case soon...
    mobile:: Nexus 5 Black 16GB (5.0.1), LG G2 Black 32GB (RIP), iPhone 3GS White 16GB (retired)

Like others have mentioned, this case is not worth the pricetag. I assumed they were just being overly harsh when I read people saying this before, and by the Pictures on Google Play I thought it looked worth the price. It's not at all. It really is super cheap. You can tell they cut corners like crazy to keep manufacturing costs low. I don't know why it bothered me, but I really expected the "Nexus" branding on the back to be more indented like it was etched in. Instead it feels cheap since it was just printed on the back. Get the case if you absolutely LOVE the look, but the buttons are freaking stiff and the case itself just didn't impress me. Back to my Spigen Neo Hybrid.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

UPDATE 2: i RMA'd the gray case and ordered and received a black one.

- the fit is no different than the gray one; slightly flimsy at the bottom but otherwise tight finish all around.
    - the color is truly black. makes the phone looks quite stealthy since it even has the 'nexus' written on the back and its not as obvious looking as it would on lighter colored cases. a drawback for some people might be that the phone is "bigger" than when naked.
    - the buttons are easy enough if a bit firm to press.
    - have had the case for 2 full weeks now. i do NOT have any discoloration or fading or peeling or other quality issues that others have noted. perhaps google updated the quality of the case...?
    - i've dropped the phone while sitting in office chair height and it skidded about 3 feet on a tile floor. no scratches or dings or marks anywhere on the case. nothing broke on the phone. hurray!
    - i have a pretty good grip on the phone since the bumper case has that matte rubbery feel and i also have the xtremeguard screen protector so the phone is virtually non-slip in my hands.

its not the most elegant or beautiful case but for what it does, the black bumper case has done and is doing its job. i did get the speck case for my wife - she loves it. i prefer the oem look of the google bumper case, especially since i have it in black.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast