1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Micro USB cable

Does it really matter which ones you use?

I'm looking for a 5-6ft cable to use in the car and at home. Some online shops have different versions of them.

Is there any particular spec I should look at when ordering one? Or do you just buy cheap ones on Amazon?

Thanks for the helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Micro USB cable

On the most part it doesn't but your charger will have final call on that. Some can be finicky about what cable is used (i.e. the new nexus wireless charger).
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by y2whisper View Post
    On the most part it doesn't but your charger will have final call on that. Some can be finicky about what cable is used (i.e. the new nexus wireless charger).
    Thanks. I just want a long cable when at home and using the phone on the couch or for the car. My charging port is near the back seat

Interesting set up. but fully understand in the past I went and got longer cords just so it would be easier to connect to my PC.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by y2whisper View Post
    Interesting set up. but fully understand in the past I went and got longer cords just so it would be easier to connect to my PC.
    The car? More annoying than anything. The audio aux jack is also near the back seat.

Blackberry has really good cables try to find one on amazon

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I was about to post with a similar question. I was using a 5 foot cable I got with Kindle 2 (2 years old if not older) but with N5 stock charger. I noticed that the charging time was about 4-5 hours from 15-20%. I thought it was long and then switched to the stock cable with same charger and the charging time went down to about 2-3 hours from 15-20%.

It is pure observation based on various charging attempts using both cables and I feel convinced that cable does play a role - if someone has any factual/scientific insight, I'd be interested in hearing.

Posted via Android Central App

I think you need to be careful of which cable you use, regardless of length. I'm no electrical engineer, but the OEM charger is different than other phone chargers. It does output 5V, but at 1.2A rather than the usual 1A. I recently went on a trip with a 9 ft Monoprice cable (recommended by Wirecutter) and the phone would not charge using the OEM. I also brought a 3rd party charger and that was finicky about which cable I used, but not because of length. So my guess is that if the output falls below 1.2A, the phone won't charge. I could be wrong, so anybody feel free to chime in.

The phone will charge at less than 1.2A. I have mine plugged directly into the USB port on my PC at work now and it is charging fine. At home I throw it on whatever charger I pull out of the drawer. The phone will only draw as much power as it needs. If the charger is capable of putting out more amps the phone will only grab what it needs. If less, it will just take longer.

The longer the cable the more the resistance that builds up. Cheaper made cables with thinner gauge wires may not charge as well as they get longer as compared to better quality cables with thicker gauge wires.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Thanked by 2: