Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    STOCK

Default Nexus 5: Anker's Tempered Glass Screen Protector $15.99

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Anker's tempered screen protector? It seems comparable with Spigen's tempered glass protectors but half the cost. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out Amazon.com: [Scratch Terminator] Anker Google Nexus 5 Premium Crystal Clear Tempered-Glass Screen Protector - Industry-High 9H Hardness: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-06-2014 at 04:33 AM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

ROM
    STOCK

Default Re: Anker's Tempered Glass Screen Protector $15.99

For those who are wondering. I have purchased this already and have been using it for a few days. And so far I am very pleased with the purchase. It's exactly like the screen before I applied the protector. It feels very smooth when scrolling around and it seems very durable. I would recommend getting this glass screen protector!
    Thanked by:
    dwd3885 likes this.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I just stumbled across it on Amazon and came here looking to see if anyone had given it a try. Think I may order it, glass screen protectors are my favorite but I was hesitant after the Spigen problems. Thanks!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by devilsfl View Post
    I just stumbled across it on Amazon and came here looking to see if anyone had given it a try. Think I may order it, glass screen protectors are my favorite but I was hesitant after the Spigen problems. Thanks!
    Yeah no problem! I think this screen is even better than the original, it's a lot more smoother and wipes smudges a lot easier. Glad I helped.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm sure this has been asked elsewhere but what do the tempered glass protectors offer over their film brethren?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_monkey View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked elsewhere but what do the tempered glass protectors offer over their film brethren?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Well for starters, in my opinion, it's a lot easier to apply than plastic ones. They generally offer a harder protection than plastic film ones, like for example, a typical film hardness is around 3-4H while a glass one has on average 8-9H which is harder than knives. And the biggest feature of glass protectors is that it feels like there is no protection on it. And if it's coated, to me, it feels even smoother than the actual screen. Oh and for some reason, I've observed that smudges are less apparent on the glass than the film.

Is this just like another layer of glass to put over the top of the screen glass to protect it? Never heard of them. Are they easy to apply? I don't think I've ever had one of those plastic ones applied without 1,000 bubbles and dusty bits in it.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by Tvppy View Post
    Is this just like another layer of glass to put over the top of the screen glass to protect it? Never heard of them. Are they easy to apply? I don't think I've ever had one of those plastic ones applied without 1,000 bubbles and dusty bits in it.

Yes it's another thin layer of glass that goes over your actual screen. Quite popular. Yes they are easy to apply as stated above. I have zero bubbles on mine. Couldn't tell if there was a screen protector on it or not.

They appear to be out of stock so I will have to wait a while. Quick question, do you have a case on it, and if so does it cause the screen protector to push up in the corner? I have always used wet protectors (like xtreme guard) and have one on my N5 now, but a few of the cases I use cause it to push up in the corner. Tempered glass might be the solution.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by bmolloy View Post
    They appear to be out of stock so I will have to wait a while. Quick question, do you have a case on it, and if so does it cause the screen protector to push up in the corner? I have always used wet protectors (like xtreme guard) and have one on my N5 now, but a few of the cases I use cause it to push up in the corner. Tempered glass might be the solution.
    I do use a case. I have the Spigen Neo Hybrid case on my Nexus 5. I applied my screen protector before I installed my case so maybe my alignment didn't match with the lip of the case. Every now and then I will have the glass get pushed up on the corner, but I think because of my alignment it only affects the bottom corners. It doesn't happen too often though. I am still very happy about my purchase regardless of this small issue. The case I use right now is a very tight fitted case so MAYBE it would be better to apply the screen protector AFTER you put on a tight case. But don't take my word for it, I don't know if that would help or not.

I've got a Poetic Palette ultra slim case and there's no interference with the Anker screen protector.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Stock Android on N4, N5, N7
    "........another day on the farm!"
    Bob W.

Quick question, does this have the cutout for just the earpiece, or does it include the sensors and camera as well? I'm looking for something without the cutouts on the top. This case is a great price and might be what I'm looking for.

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJimbo View Post
    Quick question, does this have the cutout for just the earpiece, or does it include the sensors and camera as well? I'm looking for something without the cutouts on the top. This case is a great price and might be what I'm looking for.
    Just the speaker, no other cutouts

I wish I had found this post earlier, I just bought the spigen , I saw the one the OP is talking about but I figured the price had to be good to be true or they were reselling the old defective Spigen units. I'm glad you're having a good experience......for less than half of what i had to pay........yeah
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJimbo View Post
    As Krifor03 stated, the screen protector only has the earpiece cutout. Everything else is behind the glass.

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by npark2012 View Post
    ...Every now and then I will have the glass get pushed up on the corner....
    are the edges of the screen protector rounded or squared off??
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by krifor03 View Post
    are the edges of the screen protector rounded or squared off??
    They are rounded. It's just my case is very tight. And it doesn't happen too often. Maybe once every two or 4 week. It also could be my problem of not aligning it correctly with the case.

For those that are wondering they seem to be back in stock now so if you're in for a screen protector go get one! From my personal experience it's a very solid product. Loving it.
    Last edited by npark2012; 02-05-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Went ahead and ordered mine. Happy to finally be getting one installed

Sent from my wicked fast Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I am pleased that I came across this thread. I hadn't realised that glass protectors existed; I've been using the excellent Screen Knight plastic protector, strong and quite easy to fit properly.

But the Anker glass indeed looks good. By the OP's description, it also has a better feel to it.

I believe that the attributes of the products are as in the table below, but if anyone can confirm or correct these claims I'd appreciate it. Screen Knight and Anker both come with microfibre clothes and application tools.

This leaves a tough choice. The Screen Knight has better visibility and is self-healing; Anker glass is tougher and has a better feel. Furthermore, Screen Knight's warranty is only 60 days whereas Anker provides lifetime. On balance, I may replace ScreenKnight with Anker glass.

EDIT: I notice that the table displays badly on Tapatalk. You may want to view this on a browser.

Product
    Extra notes Hardness
    Thickness
    Clarity
    Weight Durability
    Gorilla Glass 3 (Nexus 5) 7
    Screen Knight plastic Residue-free
    Self-healing
    Also has back protector
    4 99.9% 2 years
    Anker plastic clear 4 96% 9g Lifetime
    Anker plastic matte 4 90% 9g Lifetime
    Anker tempered glass Chip-resistant
    Original tactile feel
    Oleophobic coating
    9 0.38 mm 94% 9g Lifetime
    Last edited by Paddy Landau; 02-06-2014 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Layout information.

Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 5: Anker's Tempered Glass Screen Protector $15.99

I received this screen today and applied it. I really like it. Its my first tempered glass screen and its just so smooth. Much better thsn other regular protectors.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dwd3885 View Post
    I received this screen today and applied it. I really like it. Its my first tempered glass screen and its just so smooth. Much better thsn other regular protectors.

How does it take finger prints?

Sent from my mobile device using an app.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by jairusz View Post
    How does it take finger prints?

Sent from my mobile device using an app.
    It takes it very well. Nothing is 100% finger print proof but this screen protector does a very good job. If finger prints do happen it's very very easy to wipe off.
    Thanked by 2:
    dwd3885 likes this.

$16 for a phone screen protector? is it really worth it? my n5 and n7 both have cheap $5 screen protectors on right now. yes, they're scratched up already but it doesn't hinder performance.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by JConn_Lefty View Post
    $16 for a phone screen protector? is it really worth it? my n5 and n7 both have cheap $5 screen protectors on right now. yes, they're scratched up already but it doesn't hinder performance.
    You're only asking if it's worth it because you've been having crappy ones your whole life. Just get it. You'll thank us later.

Quote Originally Posted by JConn_Lefty View Post
    is it really worth it?
    Only you can answer that. My (slightly) more expensive, but good quality, plastic protector is self-healing and strong. Thus, my screen (with the protector on) is still crystal clear and smooth. By the sounds of it, the glass protector will be superior.

If you don't care about the visual or tactile quality, or the accuracy of response, then your $5 protector is perfectly worth it in fact, why even bother with a protector? The native screen will respond, feel and look better, and won't scratch as badly.

But if those things do matter to you, you want the best your budget will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    Only you can answer that. My (slightly) more expensive, but good quality, plastic protector is self-healing and strong. Thus, my screen (with the protector on) is still crystal clear and smooth. By the sounds of it, the glass protector will be superior.

If you don't care about the visual or tactile quality, or the accuracy of response, then your $5 protector is perfectly worth it — in fact, why even bother with a protector? The native screen will respond, feel and look better, and won't scratch as badly.

But if those things do matter to you, you want the best your budget will allow.
    who buys screen protector at a cost of screen clarity or performance? are you guys implying that cheap screen protectors fall behind name brand products as far as clarity/performance? my cheapo product works, you guys enjoy your $16 protector.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast