Need case and docks

dataz722

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I just got my new N5 yesterday and am looking for some good docks. I need both a desk and car dock that would both preferably have audio out as well as charging built into them. It does not appear that there are any official ones available so I am not sure what to go with. I have also never used a case on my phone before but I am looking to get one for this. Are there any decent cases available that would be compatible with the docks?

Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just got my new N5 yesterday and am looking for some good docks. I need both a desk and car dock that would both preferably have audio out as well as charging built into them. It does not appear that there are any official ones available so I am not sure what to go with. I have also never used a case on my phone before but I am looking to get one for this. Are there any decent cases available that would be compatible with the docks?

Thanks.

Have you checked our own site: ShopAndroid - #1 Store for Android Accessories

socaltyger

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.

It would seem that any case / dock that has audio out would need a way to tap into external speakers. For audio out, I connect via bluetooth to the car system. Previously I had a Jabra Freeway bluetooth speakerphone, it has one of the louder speakers for an in-car bluetooth speaker system.. but still was not able to drown out road noise for the changing audio levels of audio books. It worked great as a hands-free phone however.

Anyhow, for what it's worth my car set up is below. Im not one to spend $50 on a case then another $50 on a car mount. So I have a $10 flip case from Amazon (really good quality flip case actually) and my own DIY universal car mount.

Here's my $10 flip case on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Abacus24-7 [PocketBook] Vegan Leather Wallet Flip Case for Google Nexus 5 (LG D820), Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Here's a quick youtube video on my universal carmount:
The best car mount for Nexus 5 - YouTube

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Coincidentally, I was going to write up a post today recommending the Kenu Airframe as a car dock for the Nexus 5. It fits the Nexus 5 in an OEM bumper case shockingly well, darn near perfectly. I've had the dock for months and used it with an iPod, but I never tried it with my phone until today. The Airframe clips to a vent in your car pretty securely (there are differently-sized prongs that rotate, so you can mount your phone to a vent vertically or horizontally) and a spring-load clamp keeps the phone in the assembly. The nice thing is that if you need to use the phone, you just pull it off the vent with the Airframe still on it, then put it back. It's really unintrusive too; you can easily plug in a charger.

Now this is one of those docks that clips to a vent in your car, so if that isn't your preference, look elsewhere. I personally wanted something that mounted on a vent or in a cupholder after going through quite a few suction-cup mounted docks in the past few years (especially with my OG Moto DROID). I won't put a mounting plate on my dash, so I've had to stick suction-cup docks to my windshield. Inevitably, the suction cup becomes loose and the dock falls down, especially in cold weather.

The Airframe is a simple, quick little dock that works. It fits the Nexus 5 in its OEM bumper case shockingly well, it doesn't scratch up the phone, and doesn't fall down.

Last edited:

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I use the airframe as well in my car and it works really well for what it is and it's easy to get your phone in and out of. It works best in my car because I have used it in my truck and wasn't as stable(not wobbly) in my truck. I fault that on the size and shape of the vents and not the dock itself. The truck has bigger and wider vents so its able to move around more but in the car the vents are smaller and cramped in the console so there is not as much play from side to side. Still a great dock though!

Amazon.com: [+Screen Film] [NON-SLIP GRIP / NEXUS 5 TEXTURE] Spigen Nexus 5 Case SLIM [Ultra Fit] [Black] *BETTER FIT* Japanese Screen Protector Included + Premium Hard Snap On Case with Non-Slip Surface and Excellent Grip - ECO-Friendly Packaging -

I would give that case a try. I have not used it on this phone but I have it for the iphone 5s and I love it. It is a minimal case but that is what I prefer but enough coverage in case of a small drop. The smooth black feels really great in the hand, just enough grip for the hand but soft and smooth enough to slip in and out of the pocket.

EDIT: I take back the suggestion on the Spigen case. It looks like there are enough people having issues with it scratching the corners of the phone. That is a bummer to see because I am happy with the case on my iphone. Spigen is usually good about fixing these issues and I'm sure they will update the design soon to fix the problem.

Last edited:

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Just purchased the Kenu AirFrame from the local Apple Store as I did not want to wait for [URL="http://www.amazon.com/AIRFRAME-Portable-Mount-Phone-Holder/dp/B00BJU0CHQ?t=androidcentral00-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3375996]Amazon[/URL] (impatient I guess). Very, VERY pleased with it for my Moto X with a slim case. My son purchased one for his Nexus 5 with the Spigen Slim Case. Easy to install and remove phone, as well as the mount itself. Simple design, sturdy once in the vent. I would recommend a serious look at this unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC