Tylt Vu overheats battery

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Tylt Vu wireless charger for cyber Monday at half price. It works great when the phone is turned off but if I leave the phone on, my N5 gets way hot. Just wondering what causes this and if there is a way to keep it from happening.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Not yet. When I tried to email them about the tracking number I didn't receive, they just sent another promo code

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Wireless chargers will cause the device to get warm. I don't know why it would get abnormally hot when powered on, but would suggest finding reviews for the charger to see if it's normal.

ccsmoker

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Are you running a stock kernel?? I too have this charger, some kernels ran hot. And some gave no notification while charging. The one that is working for me right is the Chaos 8.1. Hope that helps.
It may or may not be the charger.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you running a stock kernel?? I too have this charger, some kernels ran hot. And some gave no notification while charging. The one that is working for me right is the Chaos 8.1. Hope that helps.
It may or may not be the charger.

Interesting thought. Highly possible as well.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Tylt Vu wireless charger for cyber Monday at half price. It works great when the phone is turned off but if I leave the phone on, my N5 gets way hot. Just wondering what causes this and if there is a way to keep it from happening.

That's strange, my wife's droid maxx is always on when charging. Hardly even gets warm and stops charging when the battery is fully charged. Even leave on the Tylt all night.
Maybe you have a faulty unit. I gave up on waiting for my coupon and paid full price. Sorry you are having issues.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
On my Note 3 & S4, I've found that turning the brightness of the displays down to the first quarter or less keeps my batteries from heating up while they're on the Tylt chargers.

Jason Elledge

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tylt Vu overheats battery - short term solution

Hey guys, I got this same issue with two TYLT chargers and two different Nexus 5's. I have read about a short term solution that so far seems to work.

Cause of overheating:
1. When the phone is placed against the charger, but 3/4" or so above the chargers bottom plate - this can activate the top charging coil.
2. The phone is then slide down the charger until it contacts the bottom plate. The keeps the top coil active and begins heating the metal (magnetic) circles in the back of the phone.

Solution:
1. Place the bottom of the phone directly onto the bottom of the charger without sliding it down the charger stand. You can do this by angling the top of the phone away from the charger, kinda of like **** first approach. This will keep the top coil from activating and all is well.

Best of luck

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Avoid wireless charging

Wireless charging can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today have this nasty habit of generating a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no bueno. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

anon(645340)

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Avoid wireless charging

Wireless charging can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today have this nasty habit of generating a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no bueno. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

I disagree. I'm using wireless charging for many years now. I had no issues with several Palm Pre or HP TouchPads in my family. Many co-workers have made the same good experiences.

The TYLT VU appeard to have a specific problem with the N5. Fortunately there are many alternative chargers available that work just fine (no excessive heat).

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have two of these chargers.. I have one on my desk at work and one on my night stand at home... I keep mine on the charger all night long and the phone has never felt even the slightest big "Warm" when I pick it up in the mornings... It goes on and off the charger during the day at work and again never even felt the slightest bit warm at all... I've even used it with the screen on while charging on my desk and a video or what not playing.... I love this charger.... Works great and thus the reason I got the second one...

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I have this charger and have the same problem, it get VERY hot during charging sometimes. What I've learned:

1. Doing a full recharge (battery less than 25% remaing) and it get's scarry hot (I don't do this anymore)
2. Doing a topup charger (battery greater than 90%) and it never gets hot and does a great job charging up to full (my normal behaviour at work)
3. Doing a charge between with batter below 90% sometimes warms up sometimes not.

Intersting idea regarding the coils being triggered depending on initial placement of the phone. Most times I already to the put the base of the phone in first then lay it back, just because of the angle. Someone I know have the same issue with the Nexus 5, but no problems with their Nexus 7 on the exact same charger.

For deep charging I'll stick with my Google Qi charger with the support grip and magnet, works great at night and never get's overly warm.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
from my personal experience, all wireless charging method will increase your phones internal temperature. my current n5 does, my previous phone lumia 920 did as well, and my n7 gets hot too when i qi charge.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
There is warm, and then their is frighting hot.

Google Qi Nexus square charger + Nexus 5 = A nice comforting warmth while charging

Tylt Vu Charger + Nexus 5 = Holly crap that's going to burn up like a Boeing 787 Dreamliner kind of hot

I have both, the Vu is NOT a normal kind of warm up while charging. It is quite literally hot. Hot like a cup of boiling hot tea that is uncomfortable to hold.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
i know what you're talking about. my n5 doesn't seem to get as hot as my lumia 920. the lumia got stupid hot and the n5 gets warm. but i try not to use qi charging simply because it takes too long.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
My N5 charges great (and quick) on the google N5 qi charger, and doesn't get insane hot, it can get nicely warm, but not what I would term hot.

That's why the Vu was such a shock and surprise, it literaly was HOT, and charging should NOT ever get that hot, it's not good for the electronics and it's not good for the battery. If there are Qi chargers out there that it's considered "normal" to get as hot at the Vu get somtimes, it's not a "feature" it's bad design/engineering or not fit for use.

I got a stupid good deal on the Vu charger ($35 new shipped from them) and I've found a way that it charges for me with out melting my phone so I won't return it. But, if I ever got a Qi charger that caused my phone to get that hot every single time, it would be returned as defective or not fit for use.

The nexus 5 qi charger may cost a bit more than many, but it chargers correctly.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I have two of these chargers and while my phone gets warm, it's not scary hot. In fact, my wife uses it overnight on her nexus 4 and it's cold to the touch next morning. My Nexus 5 and her 4 both have cruzerlite tpu cases on too. So, maybe a bad batch? I got mine in January after the crazy sale made their website go bananas. A green one and black one and both are great.

Nexus 7 Grouper
SlimROM

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
This is my battery after an hour on the charger. Look at the temp. In the mid 60s. Barely warm. And this is with a cruzerlite spiforce case on.
2e6ymyde.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol