air dock: wireless charging with magnets!!!

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
**update** got the airdock!!!
finally received my airdock last week. the unit is exactly what i expected. it feels cheap (no weight) but it works just as described. the magnet doesn't seem strong enough to hold the n5 but it is. i have the white n5 so the back is not smooth enough for it to stick. plus i have a layer of sticker (also not smooth) but it's still strong enough to hold it in it's place (it has not fallen off in the 1 wk use). i give this product 7/10. -1 for price, -1 for feeling so cheap, and -1 the time it took for me to receive it. but overall, if you want a magnetic qi charger for your car, you don't have much choice and this one is def living up to my standards.

one thing to note, i have this airdock placed on the lower left hand corner of the windshield and i don't touch it (one of the benefits of a magnetic dock). it does fall off from the window on it's own however. i'm guessing the temperature change in the car causes the sticky stuff to lose grip (going from hot to cold or cold to hot). the sticky stuff (the part that touched the window) is very sticky so if it falls on your seat or floor, it will accumulate dirt, lint, etc... but you can clean it with warm water and everything will fall off (no big deal).

overall, i am very happy with this purchase. if it was $15-20 cheaper and had some weight to it (with stronger magnet of course to offset the unit weight), this has the potential to be a 10/10 product.

**original post**
i'm not sure if you guys saw this but i thought i should share. i can't think of a better dock for our phones. it has wireless charging AND it holds the phone via magnets!!!

i purchased mine last night but according to the "schedule", i won't be getting mine until like april. anybody have one yet? if so, please chime in with your review of the product.

link:
The Air Dock | Indiegogo

Last edited:

Goodfella1978

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Wish I'd seen this sooner, but I'm definitely interested in the buy one get one half price deal. Long wait though :-( Amazing piece of kit though. Great find! Does anyone know if the one shown in the video (and available for sale) is the one with the magnets inside as well? I'm addicted to placing my Nexus 5 on magnetic docks now. It's so secure. Sad I know, haha.

Posted via Android Central App

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Wish I'd seen this sooner, but I'm definitely interested in the buy one get one half price deal. Long wait though :-( Amazing piece of kit though. Great find! Does anyone know if the one shown in the video (and available for sale) is the one with the magnets inside as well? I'm addicted to placing my Nexus 5 on magnetic docks now. It's so secure. Sad I know, haha.

yes, i believe some people received their air dock already and it does have the magnet.

hey, who can blame you? that's why i ordered one. i hate fidgeting with those docks.

Goodfella1978

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
hey, who can blame you? that's why i ordered one. i hate fidgeting with those docks.

Hehe, absolutely ;)

There are so many things I love about my Nexus 5 but the magnets inside are such a simple yet effective idea. The official Nexus magnetic wireless charger is fantastic too. Very tempted now. $18 International Shipping is acceptable too, for such a great piece of kit! Hats off to those guys.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Hehe, absolutely ;)

There are so many things I love about my Nexus 5 but the magnets inside are such a simple yet effective idea. The official Nexus magnetic wireless charger is fantastic too. Very tempted now. $18 International Shipping is acceptable too, for such a great piece of kit! Hats off to those guys.

whoa whoa buddy. did you just type, "official nexus MAGNETIC wireless charger"?? i didn't realize the nexus qi chargers were magnetic!!

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know besides early beta testers like Jerry they haven't shipped yet. The first batch is scheduled to ship end of Feb. Which I'm part of things to Jerry's post. There also looking into colors and NFC inclusion

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus does not have magnets in the back...it, and the new 7, have metal disks in the back. The dock has magnets in it located to match the disks in the 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
whoa whoa buddy. did you just type, "official nexus MAGNETIC wireless charger"?? i didn't realize the nexus qi chargers were magnetic!!

Yes the https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...all?playredirect=true&hl=en-US&token=0eGOdDeW charger has a very strong magnet in it. Will hold the nexus 5 upside down while wiggling it no problem. Also makes is easier to find the sweet spot for charging. They also stuck some kind of magic semi-adhesive foam on the bottom that magically sticks to anything, but doesn't become stuck. It's a nice charger.

I like the idea of this Air Dock, if it has a magnet anything like the nexus charger it would be perfect!

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes the https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...all?playredirect=true&hl=en-US&token=xzrQteuG charger has a very strong magnet in it. Will hold the nexus 5 upside down while wiggling it no problem. Also makes is easier to find the sweet spot for charging. They also stuck some kind of magic semi-adhesive foam on the bottom that magically sticks to anything, but doesn't become stuck. It's a nice charger.

I like the idea of this Air Dock, if it has a magnet anything like the nexus charger it would be perfect!

now i want one...

Goodfella1978

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
now i want one...

Yeah the magnetic plate is pretty strong! I have mine mounted on the wall next to my bed so I just place the phone on it at night and it holds it so sturdy! Great for snoozing the alarm easily or reading texts/emails before I'm fully awake! Just reach across. Easy. Also, the digital clock Daydream function of the N5 is great too as it acts like a floating clock on the wall!

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the magnetic plate is pretty strong! I have mine mounted on the wall next to my bed so I just place the phone on it at night and it holds it so sturdy! Great for snoozing the alarm easily or reading texts/emails before I'm fully awake! Just reach across. Easy. Also, the digital clock Daydream function of the N5 is great too as it acts like a floating clock on the wall!

How did you mount the charger on the wall? I'd guess that the adhesive wouldn't stick to the wall properly. Did you screw it into a stud or something?

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

The AirDock does use both Magnets and Micro-suction. I've had it for almost two weeks now and my Nexus 5 hasn't moved at all. It's on there firmly.

My only problem thus far has been that you can't reverse the MicroUSB plug. If you use a dashboard mount, the USB plug is on the bottom. If you use the windshield mount, unfortunately the MicroUSB plug has to be on the top.

It's a small problem and one that has not deterred me from thinking I made the right choice.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The AirDock does use both Magnets and Micro-suction. I've had it for almost two weeks now and my Nexus 5 hasn't moved at all. It's on there firmly.

Is your Nexus 5 in a case? Mine is in a Amazon.com: Cruzerlite Bugdroid Circuit Case for LG Nexus 5 - Retail Packaging - Red: Cell Phones & Accessories which, though fairly thin, doesn't have a smooth back (a bit roughened with a design carved into it). I'm wondering if the combination of the magnets and micro-suction will keep such a cased Nexus 5 firmly stuck.

yocubed

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
i have my Nex 5 in a cruzerlite case and while the grip is not near as strong as with a bare case I have had my Airdock mounted to my windshield and my nex has yet to fall off during driving and my daily commute is about 45 miles each way. I believe that this is one of the best car options out there. Some nit picking things I'd like to have changed would be able to rotate the charger so that the port is at the bottom when on windshield mount as mentioned above, and perhaps a way to more discretely route the charger into or along side the base. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase/backing of this starter!

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Looking at their video, looks to me like you can rotate the charger to situate the microUSB port wherever you wish.

The tester units are using a straight ball joint. Can turn any way you want.

Are the final units not made with a straight ball joint?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis