Nexus 5 official case - discolouring?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

So a couple of weeks ago I decided to get the official Google Nexus 5 yellow case. It looks great and fits very well, however just in a couple of weeks, the corners of the case and down the sides have started to discolour. It's like dark brown/black sort of colour. I've tried cleaning it pretty thoroughly, which has helped, but there seems to be a permanent black edging on the corners now.

I work in an office, so the phone is only ever in my pocket or on my desk, so it's not like it's getting dirty or dropped and all that. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if this is normal, or did I somehow get a defective case? Or am I just being too nit-picky? Pic of the case attached.

QtL1cXc.jpg

It actually doesn't look that bad in the picture, but in real life, it looks worse. Mainly because the yellow is an almost fluorescent yellow, very bright, whereas the black marks are really noticeable and look quite bad.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
i've heard a lot of people are having problems with the case, discoloring being one of the problems. I don't have the case personally but its just from reviews that i've seen and what people have written on other forums.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
i've heard a lot of people are having problems with the case, discoloring being one of the problems. I don't have the case personally but its just from reviews that i've seen and what people have written on other forums.

Damn, I should have read around before purchasing it.

The case is great, fits well, love the "nexus" written on it, but yeah, this colour issue is the only problem. I'm hesitant to get products to clean it as well as I don't want to actually damage the case.

thetonyclifton

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
You cant clean those marks off, it doesnt come off. This happened to my grey case within a day or so, I was given a refund.

Since they told me to keep the case I tried to dye it with Rit dye, it worked fine (although took several hours in the dye) and is now a very dark grey/black....and free.

.....but yes they are very badly designed, not at all durable, only the black appears to be in any way practical which is a same as it is actually a very nice case I think if a little expensive.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
You cant clean those marks off, it doesnt come off. This happened to my grey case within a day or so, I was given a refund.

Since they told me to keep the case I tried to dye it with Rit dye, it worked fine (although took several hours in the dye) and is now a very dark grey/black....and free.

.....but yes they are very badly designed, not at all durable, only the black appears to be in any way practical which is a same as it is actually a very nice case I think if a little expensive.

Google gave you a refund? Hmm I've had it for a couple of weeks now, I wonder if I'm too late to get one. No harm in asking I guess.

But yeah it is disappointing to see, especially when it is a bit costly compared to other cases.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Damn, I should have read around before purchasing it.

The case is great, fits well, love the "nexus" written on it, but yeah, this colour issue is the only problem. I'm hesitant to get products to clean it as well as I don't want to actually damage the case.

I brought the black bumper case and instead of discolouring the edges are all peeling off and it has only been three days. I contacted GP and they are giving me a refund, it does not sound like any of the bumper cases are fairing well.....I guess I will pay the 10 more dollars and try the LG Portfolio case.