Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Ayling
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

Default Nexus 5 Headphones with Mic

Hi Guys,

Can somoene recommend a set of headphones which have a microphone on them which is compatible with the N5. I am after a pair of standard earbud style ones and not in-ear ones.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Nexus 5 Headphones with Mic

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

I have a pair, they don't work properly. I can answer calls but not turn the volume up or down. The sound quality is also poor with them when it wasn't with my iPhone which is strange..

I can answer calls but not turn the volume up or down.
    And you won't be able to. Android does not support the volume controls. Seems to be an Apple patent issue.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

I specifically want a headphones with a mic and the volume up and down. I had a pair that came with my old sgs3 that had a volume up and down. I might just get another pair of those to see if they work.

I personally have never tried them I always see Kipsch S4 being recommended.

Me. I don't include EarBuds when I sell my Super Phones because I either lose or break them like I did with my hTc One. I still have 6 pairs at the moment, latest is from Sony XPERIA Z Ultra. Apple's new EarPods is the worst.

IMO the OEM's are good enough, can't bother spending money on it. I'm currently using the LG G2.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    I specifically want a headphones with a mic and the volume up and down. I had a pair that came with my old sgs3 that had a volume up and down. I might just get another pair of those to see if they work.
    That is because Samsung added something to allow that. Stock Android will not use the volume controls of wired headsets.
    Pat

Chromecast
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

Well I found a pair of HTC headphones for 5 on eBay. Apparently all functions work with the n5. I have also found an app which allows you to make the fast forward and rewind buttons change the volume instead. Just waiting for them to come :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    That is because Samsung added something to allow that. Stock Android will not use the volume controls of wired headsets.
    The volume controls on my Nokia headphones work perfectly with my Nexus 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    The volume controls on my Nokia headphones work perfectly with my Nexus 5.
    I don't doubt that. Nokia does/did things a little differently as well. On that note, I wish Android Central would do a piece on wired headsets and controls. (You'll note none of them in the store here have volume controls.) I'm not going to go out and spend money just based on some user's recommendation..... no offense.
    Pat

Chromecast

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    I have the Samsung headphones from the S4 that I purchased on amazon and the volume controls work on these. Here's the link, I used one of the prime sellers.

http://amzn.com/B00DNK9WR6

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bumble; 01-26-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: updated url

I bought some Samsung white in-ear earphones. I thought I had found the Holy Grail, until someone phoned me and they couldn't hear me talking. The mic doesn't work with Nexus 5.

I don't like in-ear anyway due to the noise isolation, so I am almost at the point of using my old Apple earbuds (the latest ones) and downloading one of those apps which gives extra functionality to the centre button, which still works with the Nexus and Apple buds.
    tonyr6 likes this.

Is it not compatible?

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Igneel View Post
    Is it not compatible?
    I think Samsung changed the wiring so they may not be compatible. Same reason why Apple earphones aren't fully compatible either.

I have the LG Quad Beat 2...got it from eBay. Hv mic plus volume and audio controls.

Hi,

To get all 3 buttons to work on my Nexus I´m using the Sabotage Royale Android Earphones - 100% made for Android. The thing with 3-button headsets is that apple is using another microphone with different voltage than Google Android, so it does not have to do with the wiring, no matter what you will never get more than the center button to work with an apple earphone. That is why you need an Android specified headset. I dont know why this is so, but I think it might have to do with some Apple patent..or just because its Apple ;-) That is why their apple earphones dont work with the Nexus 5 or any other Android smartphone using the Android spec.

Link to find out if your Android Smartphone is compatible with Android earphones
    Phones | Degauss Labs App help

Android App to control 1 or 3 button headsets on your phone
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...de.degausslabs

My earphones, Sabotage Royale by Degauss Labs
    Degauss Labs Shop US - Sabotage Royale 3-button Black (Android)

Not only does all 3-buttons work but they also have a really great and powerful sound. Being a Klipsch 4 user for a few years they easily are better, both in bass and mid. How they stand against +100$ earphones I wouldnt know, these are 59$.

/A
    Last edited by Darth Spock; 07-11-2014 at 05:25 PM.