My Nexus Wireless Charger Car Mount Setup

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi everybody! I've seen a few threads about figuring how to use the Nexus Wireless Charger as a car mount/dock for our Nexus 5 phones and this is the solution that I've come up with. It's not the cheapest option as this charger costs more than most others out there. However, I wanted to utilize one of the standout features of the Nexus 5 which is being able to use the wireless magnetic charger out of the box without any modifications. I also didn't want to do any drastic mods to mount that to my car. I've seen other threads showing how some of you smart engineer types can rig some cool setups using paper clips and rubber bands. I'm no Macguyver (though I wish I was that smart).

I actually have tried to mount a wireless charging dock. This was a few years ago when I had the Palm Pre, which had the wireless charging (and also magnetic) Touchstone. To keep it short, I used this moldable plastic stuff to fix it to a car mount, which was then screwed onto my dashboard. It was not pretty at all. Plus, that moldable plastic ended up melting on a hot summer day. Shortly after that Palm got sold to HP and webOS went the way of the Dodo. I moved on to a Samsung Galaxy SII and have been missing the webOS cards and the Touchstone ever since.
Now comes the Nexus 5. To my surprise Google/LG also announces the awesome Nexus Wireless Charger. FINALLY something equivalent to the amazing Palm Touchstone. I just HAVE to have it.

Once you use something like a Touchstone and the Nexus Wireless Charger, it's tough to go back. Yes, you can still plug in the microUSB cord and yes it's not a big deal. But once you start using a nice magnetic wireless charger, you'll know. You just pop the phone on, it holds in place, and charges. Simple. In the car it makes absolute sense. Now I wish that the stock Android homescreen supports landscape mode by default and that there was a better interface for car use, but those are software issues which I think will only get better with time. As far as hardware goes though, the Nexus 5 along with the Nexus Wireless Charger on a good car mount works amazing. No need to modify the phone or your car dashboard and the magnet holds the phone on strongly. The only main disadvantage hardware-wise is that the phone has to be naked for the magnet to hold strongly. I also wish the Nexus 5 has the Touchless Controls of the Moto X; that would seem like the perfect thing to do have while the phone is docked on the car.

TLDR version: Magnetic wireless chargers are friggin awesome and are even more awesomer to use as a car dock. List of stuff, pics and video below.

Please excuse my dirty dusty car, poor speaking skills and shaky camera.

nexcar1.jpg

nexcar2.jpg

List of items:

Nexus Wireless Charger
Price: $49.99
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s_wall?playredirect=true&hl=en&token=oZBWkg7w

Arkon Sticky Suction Mounting Pedestal w/ 3" Articulating Arm
Item #: GN079WD-SBH
Price: $14.95

Use with

Arkon Vertical Female Dual T-Slot Adapter w/ 3M Adhesive Back
Item #: AP016-3M
Price: $7.95

Arkon - Car Mounts & Accessories for Smartphones, Tablets, GPS

The 'Sticky Suction' items are new and don't seem to be on the site yet, but they're listed in the 2014 catalog PDF. I was able to order directly from them and pick up since I live nearby in Southern California. I like their modular approach to the car mounts by having the ball and dual T adapters and I was glad to find something that I could easily stick the Nexus wireless charger to for my setup.

Also if you're wondering, this is the USB Car Charger I'm using and it seems to not have any problems so far.
Scosche Dual 10 Watt 2.1A USB Car Charger
Amazon.com: Scosche USBC202M Dual 10 Watt (2.1A) USB Car Charger works with iPhone 5, 5S and 5C: Cell Phones & Accessories

RandomContent

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Great thread. I duplicated your set up completely, including ordering the same mount, so thank you for posting all the detail! (one exception, I have the slightly newer Scosche unit that is 2 x 2.4A)

I have been surprised to note that the charging through the wireless unit is quite a bit slower than directly plugged in. I get roughly 500mA when on the wireless dock, and 1500mA if I bypass the dock and plug in directly to the phone.

Now I use the same wireless charger at my desk, and find with the time that I spend at my desk versus away, this is a completely adequate charging rate for my lifestyle, so the convenience of the wireless dock (for me) is the best answer. What I did decide through my testing is that if I were returning to my car and my phone was low on charge, if I needed a full charge soonest, it would be advantageous to me to still place the phone on the magnetic mount, but to move the charging plug from the magnetic charging head directly to the phone for the fastest charge times. That said, the majority of the time, I will be sticking with the convenience of the magnetic charger.

I used Current Widget: Battery Monitor from the Play Store to get the charging rates.

Nicholas Sgherzi

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm also looking at a setup similar to this but I have a few questions,

Is the wireless charging powerful enough to keep the phone charged while using it?
Would a setup like this work for a Nexus 7?
Is there a way to attach this to a cd mount instead of a suction cup mount?

dsj2086

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a little bit of an old thread, but I have a question about your setup. I just created the exact same mount, using the same pieces you listed. I also have a Honda Civic like you, and placed my mount in about the same position. However, the weight of the charger and the phone is causing the base to peel up off of the dash. Has anyone run into this or can anyone recommend some kind of stronger adhesive that won't damage my dash?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1