Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best case for Nexus 5?

I'm looking for suggestions for a case for my nexus 5. I hear the bumper sold in the Google play store isn't very good.

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

Thanks
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-23-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Default Re: best case for nexus 5?

Quote Originally Posted by ianhanson85 View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions for a case for my nexus 5. I hear the bumper sold in the Google play store isn't very good.

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

Thanks
    I have the Spigen Slim Armor case and it is fantastic. It gives premium protection without making it very bulky. It does add some thickness, but the material has a good feel and great protection. I have used many cases for many devices and it is by far the best I have used. It's about 20 bucks from Amazon.
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP

Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I went to my local T Mobile and purchased the red Tech 21 case. One of the best cases I have ever owned.

PROS:
    - great protection for the phone
    - slim fitting and feels good in the hand
    - Looks nice on the phone

CONS:
    - none yet

Impact Lab Page title

I have the tech21 case and a ringke slim. I prefer the slim as it retains the design of the nexus and keeps the camera safe though don't expect it to protect from a drop much. The tech21 case is really nice but adds a considerable amount of bulk and the buttons were pretty hard to press for me.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

At Amazon there are now a ton of well-reviewed cases by Fosmon, all around $5-6 or less, with delivery. Sweet. Screen protectors and other items for the Nexus 5 too.

Most of them are also available at Amazon.ca for around the same prices. Although the delivery seems 10 days or so to Canada, I just ordered.

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

I used a Spigen Neo Hybrid for a few months, but ultimately felt like it added too much bulk. I just switched to the clear Spigen Slim case, and I like it a lot more. It's a lot less bulky than the Neo Hybrid, but still protects the phone on all sides. Plus it's clear so I get to see the Nexus logo on the back.

Amazon.com: [+Screen Protector] [360 PROTECTION] Spigen Google Nexus 5 Case Slim [Ultra Fit] [Crystal Shell] Premium *Japanese* Screen Protector Included + All Around Protection Premium Clear Hard Case - ECO-Friendly Packaging - Crystal Shell (SGP10

My wife uses the Spigen Slim case, but not the clear one. Oddly enough, that one does not cover the top or bottom of the phone.

EDIT: I will add that I dropped my phone once (from about 3.5-4 feet) in a parking lot with the Neo Hybrid case on, and the case did its job perfectly. No damage at all to the phone. So despite the bulk, it protects the phone well and does have a stylish design. I just got tired of the bulk eventually.

I have a couple.. Diztronic TPU, cruzerlite bug Droid TPU, and just got (literally today) cruzerlite spiforce. I like all equally well and it really depends on my mood. My initial reaction to the spiforce is that I wish it were more tacky. I bought it because the other two are a little slick for my hands. But they are great cases and the Diztronic keeps almost the original form of the phone. But, a little smooth or soft to touch, which is slick for me. Especially in dry Winter climate.

Now, as a testament to the Diztronic and bug Droid, I've dropped the phone several times in each case from about 3-4ft to wood floors and both cases protected the phone. No scratches or dings or dents or cracks (knock on wood). Mostly knocked the phone off my bedside stand or fumble from my pocket or lap when sitting. But this tpu cases do work well despite being very minimal.

I use to swear by otterbox when I had an iPhone, but I bought all three of these cases for a total cost less then what I would pay for one otterbox... And they work! Oh, and all three work with wireless charging.

Nexus 7 Grouper
    SlimROM

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly 'Beans', Stock

I use the poetic bumper and a spigen slim case. I really like the bumper as it just covers the outside edges of the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by benhmadison View Post
    I have the Spigen Slim Armor case and it is fantastic. It gives premium protection without making it very bulky. It does add some thickness, but the material has a good feel and great protection. I have used many cases for many devices and it is by far the best I have used. It's about 20 bucks from Amazon.
    +1 for the Spigen Slim Armor. I've dropped my phone 3 times and no damage each time.

Anker makes good cases, low priced, and will replace a broken product for no charge and won't ask you to send the messed up one back. I bought a wallet case from them for approx $10.

Supcase also makes really good cases for this phone.

Anker: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

Supcase: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

I have the leather-back Caseology TPU case--excellent fit and protection, great feel to the back. I got it for $5 on sale at eBay, but currently it's going for $9.

Caseology LG Google Nexus 5 Brown Ultra Fit Premium PU Leather Case Cover | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I have the leather-back Caseology TPU case--excellent fit and protection, great feel to the back. I got it for $5 on sale at eBay, but currently it's going for $9.

Caseology LG Google Nexus 5 Brown Ultra Fit Premium PU Leather Case Cover | eBay
    Wow that looks really nice. does it add alot of bulk to the phone? im in need of a new case
    B. Diddy likes this.

I wouldn't say it adds a lot of bulk, but that's going to be pretty subjective. It's not the slimmest case out there, but with the faux leather back, I don't think it's intended to be. $9 is pretty cheap on eBay (free shipping)--you could wait to see if it drops down to $5 again. Either way, if you don't like it, at least you didn't blow $30 on it!

Also, check out their carbon fiber cases--also nice looking! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Caseology-LG...item3cdb8e2371
    Thanked by:

Haha I did a bit of research and found some videos of the case. Imo they look pretty bulky. I've somewhat grown akin to the slimness of the n5 now gonna be hard finding a case that'll work for me now.

Quote Originally Posted by benhmadison View Post
    Hey, I know this thread is 2 weeks old, I'm just curious, I'm currently using Spigen Neo Hybrid but I think it's too bulky. Is it as bulky as Neo Hybrid and want to replace it with Slim Armor? Or it's much slimmer?

My Nexus 5 is a caffeine.

ROM
    STOCK

Wait I'm confused, isn't it the other way around for the spigen cases? The Neo Hybrid is slimmer than the Slim Armor. Slim Armor has dual layer whereas the neo hybrid doesn't. So.... how can it be bulkier than the one with the dual layer?

Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by npark2012 View Post
    Wait I'm confused, isn't it the other way around for the spigen cases? The Neo Hybrid is slimmer than the Slim Armor. Slim Armor has dual layer whereas the neo hybrid doesn't. So.... how can it be bulkier than the one with the dual layer?
    Neo hybrid is thinner but slight wider than the Slim Armor. I struggle with my purchase with slim armor because I wanted a narrower profile but found AC Forums the Neo hybrid is wider.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

ROM
    STOCK

I see. I have the Neo Hybrid right now and I just purchased the red slim armor case. There's only three things I don't like about the Neo Hybrid, 1 is that the back gets a lot of finger prints and marks on it, 2 it's sort of slippery, 3 it's super hard to take off.

So I'm going to give the slim armor a try soon when it ships.

I've got the Sedio Dilex ("active") case and it's a little bulky but very well protected. I like the way it works but the rubber is kind of annoying at times because it sticks to my pocket basically turning my pocket almost inside out when I take it out and it's difficult to "slide" back into my pocket.

I would love to have something with this protection that's a little less "sticky".

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    887 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
    I've got the Sedio Dilex ("active") case and it's a little bulky but very well protected. I like the way it works but the rubber is kind of annoying at times because it sticks to my pocket basically turning my pocket almost inside out when I take it out and it's difficult to "slide" back into my pocket.

I would love to have something with this protection that's a little less "sticky".

That has the kickstand, right?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    That has the kickstand, right?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    http://www.wirelessground.com/seidio...tand-blue.html

I've read its wireless compatible, but am curious if it has a screen protector or not. Another case I'm looking at: http://www.wirelessground.com/ballis...ter-black.html

I'd prefer to have have screen protector and a kickstand, but would sadly part with a kickstand over the screen protector (owned evo's previously and loved the feature). I'm also looking for a wireless charger compatible case as well.

I would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I grabbed the ballistic case. My assessment is this: the rubber material is a lint magnet. The case definitely for increasing protection and durability of the phone, after a few weeks of use its brought me peace of mind. If the hard plastic back of its taken off the phone phone will wireless charge on nexus brand wireless charger (N5 model). A bit of a PITA, but the sturdiness makes up for it.
    Last edited by Chewywade; 03-10-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    Thanked by:
    imex99 

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Just got my Fosmon durafrost case from Amazon, $4 delivered and it's perfect. Also got a 3-pack of the matte screen-protectors for $4 delivered, also by Fosmon, they are fantastic. Why pay more?
    Thanked by:
    berrydroidapple likes this.

I heard Diztronic Matte Black TPU case is also good. It is a soft case which has a matte feel in hands just like the back side of black Nexus 5.

My Nexus 5 is a caffeine.

i'd have to vote for the speck candyshell case. the available colors are pretty hideous but my wife loves the black/yellow case. its a nice tight fit, has good protection with rubber lining on the inside, the buttons work well, and does not add too much to the bulk of the phone. my wife also likes the slightly curved sides which helps with grip...

i'd buy one if they had an all black one or something with a bit more subtle colors... for now, my black nexus bumper case will have to do.
    Last edited by g2_havok; 02-18-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    mobile:: Nexus 5 Black 16GB (4.4.3), LG G2 Black 32GB (RIP), iPhone 3GS White 16GB (retired)
    tablet: LG G Pad 8.3 White (4.4.2), Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab 32GB (ICS)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast