which magnetic car mount would you get????????

Steve Rand

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
My 2c: I put a Steelie in our cars so our phones (wife and I) could use our phone with GPS and bluetooth in each others cars.
I cut a hole in our phone covers (S4/S5 and Note2 with $1 TPU gel covers) and stuck the magnet bit on the hard cover, with the magnet sticking through the TPU gel cover. This makes the magnet not stick out quite as much, but it's a royal pain to put my phone on the desk and to type/browse or play a game.. it just slides away or spins around on the magnet.
When i'm cooking, I can stick my phone to the metal rangehood, or if i'm mechanicing in the garage I can stick it to my toolbox... which is neat, but.... I cannot use my stylus on my Note 2 anywhere near the magnet. There is a 2-3cm perfect circle dead-zone now where I cannot draw with the stylus without removing the case, then the back cover with the magnet bit on it.
Other than that, it's super easy to bang the phone onto the dash and rip it off again, and mounting the ball to the dash part rather than the window means it doesn't melt in our Australian summer heat (I have deformed FOUR car mounts like this, including a genuine GripGo).
I am currently investigating getting the ball magnetised, and mounting a big metal washer to the phone backing... I think it's a matter of magnet strength, and getting the circumference of the ball matching with the inner diameter of the washer. The washer would be as thick as my TPU gel case, so it wouldn't slide around, and in theory I should be able to use my stylus again. We'll see!

jtaclas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I personally use the official nexus wireless charger. I had a universal mount installed w/ that garmin ball & socket mechanism. I used 3M command strips to attach the charger (so I can remove easily when I change phones or car). Has not fallen off in the 6 months I've used it (unless the passenger knocks it down).

Here are are the pictures of the install.

DSC01030.JPGDSC01036.JPG

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's my Nexus 5 official charger in my car. I mounted it to the touchstone (from when i had the Palm Pre) that is right behind it. It works great and the phone has not fallen off once with massive bumps in the road. Here's a couple pics.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414452433535.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414452433535.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 25
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414452466561.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414452466561.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 26

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I also set up a Nexus Wireless Charger in the car. Converted my old Bracketron ball & joint vent mount by adding a $3 Reverse AMPS Adapter Plate with the T-notch connection. The plate is a perfect fit to 3 sides of the charger base, with just a small lip extending at the bottom.

The charger's sticky backing is so strong, I haven't added an adhesive tape yet. Will use 3M Command tape, as soon as the temps here in SoCal rise. If you're in a hot climate, keep in mind the charger and 3M Command tape's maximum environment temps are 104 F and 105 F, so not as convenient in the summer as I had imagined (no "grab the phone and go" when parking in the sun).

I see no advantage to using the permanent 3M VHB tape over the Command removable, unless I'm missing something.

(Completely edited post.)

From Nexus 5 via AC App

Last edited:

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Nexus Wireless Charger vent mount described in previous post.

Attachments

• 126597.jpg
    126597.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 126631.jpg
    126631.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 126612.jpg
    126612.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

flappy75

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I've been using the imagnet for some time and it's been great. I can use the cd and it doesn't block my air conditioning vent. You should try it.

Imranfz

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Must get one i am using. Its Motochoice car phone mount. Search it on amazon. I literally tried to toss my iphone 6 plus after attaching it to magnetic but it didnt toss.