Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android 4.4.4 and T-Mobile network issues?

I have a Nexus 5 from the play store (as of last December). Recently, I have been having severe network connection issues with "Time without a signal" ranging as high as 30% over a couple of hours. Sometimes it works for a couple of hours and never has that problem. I have T-Mobile. I have talked with them and they say the tower (2G only in this area) is fine. I have swapped the SIM card, done a factory reset, even had Play Store replace the phone, and I am still having problems. Could this be an issue with the latest KitKat 4.4.4? Another bad phone? T-Mobile is running more tests on their tower, but I don't remember this problem earlier. As it is in my pocket a lot, I don't know how often it drops the connection, but I don't remember this happening earlier this year. Could this be an issue with 4.4.4?

Thanks.

Default Re: Android 4.4.4 and T-Mobile network issues?

Welcome to Android Central! Are you often indoors? Is signal worse indoors, which is more likely with T-Mobile than with other carriers?

Posted via Android Central App
    UJ95x likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I am often indoors. But I have been indoors a lot (I work from home) and this appears to be a relatively new issue. I have been a T-Mobile customer in this same house doing the same thing for several years, and again, this appears to be a relatively new issue. So, could this be an issue with Android and the Nexus 5? My wife has a Moto X, and when I drop the signal, she does not, which implies it may be the phone as the sim card has already been replaced.

It could be a phone issue--signal dropping has been a somewhat common complaint for the Nexus 5. Since you're often at home, you could consider calling T-Mobile and requesting a signal booster, which they provide for free if you're on the Simple Choice plan. I have one at home, and it boosts my signal from 1-2 bars to 5 bars on a call.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I have called them. Unfortunately, my tower is still 2G (not upgraded yet) and they say their boosters ONLY work on 3G/4G, not 2G. **SIGH**

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

You should call them back and have them reprovision your phone. I just went through this with Sprint, fixed my problem. Let us know what happens.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

"reprovision your phone" - what does that mean? If this by chance means a factory reset, I have already done that, as well as replace the sim.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

No, they will ask you to enter numbers into your phone, it reboots and ir re-registers your phone on their network. No loss of data or info. It is NOT a factory reset.

I had to go to level 2 tech support, not sure if the CSR's are able to do it on their own.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Interesting - I will try that in the near future (trying other things first). Would this also happen if I change the SIM card? I am guessing not, but I want to check, as I have replaced the SIM card.If not, then I will put that on my list to try.
    Thanks for the help.

Hello,

I live in Sweden and I run on Telias-network.

I have the same issue. I'm leaving a comment here so I can follow this thread.

Best regards
    Joakim