Use as a phone for travel?

allears

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I own a Nexus 5 but just bought a new phone (which is also unlocked gsm). I have the Simple Basic plan with tmobile and it suffices. After checking ebay and seeing what I would get by selling the Nexus, I am wondering if I should just keep it and use it when I travel and simply buy local SIM cards and prepaid plans. I live in Los Angeles, am going to NYC in the summer and want the web available to check subway times and other mundane travel-related stuff. But I will also need a phone when I travel abroad and I'm trying to figure out the best approach I can take to (1) make use of the Nexus and (2) contain phone charges. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm a bit stumped.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
You should keep it as a travel phone, but buy an extended battery when you leave with it. An additional 2500mAh should suffice. I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I don't travel, but I get sent sometimes to a job related bldg where there is no reception and I maybe standing for 6 hrs at time with out having an opportunity to charge my baby.

I use an iPhone for everyday use, but from time to time I like to take my nexus 5 to work and from experience one day I was sent to that bldg and guess what? I forgot to bring a charger with me. My battery went dead by 11 am. If I would have had an extended I would have been able to get through the whole day. So yes, to recap. Keep it as a travel phone. The nexus 5 is a great phone, just make sure you take it with an external battery.

allears

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the response. Do you have a prepaid plan and SIM for the Nexus? I looked at travel phones like Mobal and wondered if/how I can make use of the Nexus I own. I sure wouldn't get much for it! And I do have an external battery.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
That is great you already have an external battery, which one do you have? Let me know.

And no I don't use prepaid I have T-Mobile currently and just purchased a note 4 for my wife via tmobile so I'm stuck paying the bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz