Ok - I bricked my Nexus - help!

101_North

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

Got a bit excited earlier and went to root my device. All went great. then I decided the icons were to big and edited the build.prop file which then got me into a soft brick situation. I tried a few things which only make things worse.

I've managed to get TWRP recovery installed to the device but I can't seem to get on. I downloaded a 4.4 rom but I keep getting the message "can't install this package (date) over newer build (date).

Any ideas how I can force the rom to install?

Thanks

A rather sorry 101_North :-[

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Id grab the factory images and flash it back to stock and in running condition.

Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums mobile app

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Why would you need to root a Nexus? Just curious...

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

There are numerous reasons one might want to install a custom recovery & or root the stock ROM. Those reasons all depend on what you plan on doing with the device.

When I got my 2nd gen nexus 7 I unlocked the boot loader immediately. Did I do anything else? Nope. Not until recently when I wanted to load a 4.4 ROM on it. Installed a custom recovery and went to town.

I always unlock the boot loader regardless. That way if I do want to do anything in the future I won't have to do a factory restore.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

galfert

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'd head over to XDA and see if they can help you over there. Not that you won't find help here, but in grave situations like this it is best to cover all the bases.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

101_North

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks folks. Got it fixed. Managed to eventually get the stock rom from Google to install. Much happier man now LOL
Fresh install will be backed up in future!

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

The Nexus devices are made for it, literally. The fact that they get updates directly from Google is great for the average consumer, but the Nexus dev community is second to none, and that it really my answer to your question.

OP there's nearly always a way back on a Nexus. Glad you figured it out! Very difficult to brick.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd head over to XDA and see if they can help you over there. Not that you won't find help here, but in grave situations like this it is best to cover all the bases.
Thanks for the suggestion but when it comes to explaining rooting and basic to intermediate troubleshooting of Nexus devices we have plenty of qualified individuals here at Android Central and threads to support most ;)

Working the basics of the new Nexus 5 will be similar if not identical to previous models when it comes to unlocking the bootloader, rooting the device and using the factory images to restore to stock.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

not nearly as necessary as normal devices, but for me i've come to rely on several key apps that only run on rooted devices. Root Exporer, Set CPU, BatteryCalibration, Titanium Backup, Stickmount Pro to name a few...

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to flash stock images from a Mac? I do have adb set up. If so, how and where do I get the stock images from?

Posted via Android Central App

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Also, like the OP said, not everyone likes the icons so large (myself included), so you can root and adjust the DPI of the screen so that they are not so huge.

Also, flashing some tweaks such as custom kernels and camera mods will better the performance of the device overall, and can aid in increasing battery life. It really just depends on what you want out of the device. It's great as-is, but some people like to tinker a bit more and push the phone a bit.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

To run some apps that require root. Just because it's a Nexus doesn't automatically allow it to more that other Android devices out the box. For instances, Titanium back up, greenify are apps that I use a lot and require root. So for me, I only root to use certain apps. Other may root for this and additional reasons.

jloz10

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If you're trying to put the phone back to stock, there will be a flash-all.sh in the downloaded zip. you can either open it up in a text editor if you feel like doing it manually and the order is in the file, or you can edit that file with the ./fastboot-mac command in place of the "fast boot" and run that in terminal. This is how I go back to stock if needed. Below is an example for restoring my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet to 4.3

./fastboot-mac oem unlock
./fastboot-mac erase boot
./fastboot-mac erase cache
./fastboot-mac erase recovery
./fastboot-mac erase system
./fastboot-mac erase userdata
./fastboot-mac flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
./fastboot-mac reboot-bootloader
./fastboot-mac -w update image-nakasi-jwr66y.zip

Hope this helps

sammytheman99

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey...
You could try to sideload roms onto it... Not sure how to do this with twrp as I use clockwork. (I did this using mac terminal) Anyways connect your phone and use
cd "your_tools_folder_where_adb_is(the path to it)"
then to see if adb recognizes your phone use
./adb devices
if it recognizes the device go into the sideload option in twrp and type
./adb sideload "rom_path"
repeat the same thing for the gapps.
Hope this helped for the rom... for the android img I'm not sure...
Getting my nexus in the mail soon and can't wait! How is it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21