Nexus 5: Where are the step by step unlocking/rooting instructions?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
We're into the second day of phones arriving and we have no detailed instructions for dummies on unlocking and rooting. Normally, someone has a sticky posted that even includes links to all the needed files. I'm great at following directions, but lack the talent to create them. 2def...are you still out there? You did an amazing job with this for the N4.

Last edited by a moderator:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Where are the step by step unlocking/rooting instructions?

I got mine (I'm the OP) done at my un-boxing. I just downloaded the latest SDK and followed the instructions from the N4 by 2def.

robertledoux75

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

Doesn't work on mac 10.9 with NEXUS 5.
(tethering doesn't work too perhaps is the falt of USB!)

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Doesn't work on mac 10.9 with NEXUS 5.
(tethering doesn't work too perhaps is the falt of USB!)
Fastboot unlock and copying TWRP via USB worked great for me on OSX 10.9 (MBA mid-2013). You may need to try a different USB cable and/or port.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

We're into the second day of phones arriving and we have no detailed instructions for dummies on unlocking and rooting. Normally, someone has a sticky posted that even includes links to all the needed files. I'm great at following directions, but lack the talent to create them. 2def...are you still out there? You did an amazing job with this for the N4.

I got mine (I'm the OP) done at my un-boxing. I just downloaded the latest SDK and followed the instructions from the N4 by 2def.

Lol hey buddy! Real life got all busy and hectic on me so I had to resign from my Ambassador duties unfortunately. You've got plenty of Nexus experience so glad to see you were able to figure out how to get it done :)

pisstestme

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

When I searched for the rooting guide thread, by device, LG was the only Mfg configuration choice for my "Google" Nexus 5. I know LG is the Mfg but, I've read in some instances the Google Play edition is different.

I have the Google Play edition, unlocked and running on T-Mobile's LTE network.

Does the info in this thread still pertain to my phone?

Sorry if this is an obvious question but, this side of tech is new to me.

Thanks for a brief reply, Pete

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

You could pretty much use any unlock method for a variety of past Nexus devices.

fastboot oem unlock

Done :).

Timothy Anderson1

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

i have that and it is not working im in the bootloader screen and it still says waiting on device ........

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

i have that and it is not working im in the bootloader screen and it still says waiting on device ........

Did you get it to boot? If not, let us know and we'll try helping.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app