Mods that will make your Nexus 5 even better! [requires root]

alltechinside

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I thought I wanted to share you guys some mods that I like.
I've never really had huge improvements using camera mods or Volume mods so I didn't include them here. If you have any mods that you want to add on, feel free to share :D

I know a lot of people use the stock rom and most don't like the way the current stock battery icon looks under the notifications, so I used this mod to fix it: Battery Percentage icon Mod

I also flashed 4 way reboot mod as well: 4 way reboot menu

I did post a video on how to flash these mods (and how they look):

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-24-16-02-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-24-16-02-03.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 370
  • Screenshot_2013-11-24-16-02-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-24-16-02-11.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 359

merv69

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
These worked great. Any more mods I can try? Nothing major just small tweaks. Liking the stock ROM right now.

Posted via Android Central App

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
These worked great. Any more mods I can try? Nothing major just small tweaks. Liking the stock ROM right now.

I would suggest installing Xposed Framework and also Xblast tools which gives you lots of interesting tweaks. While you cannot use ART with XF you can flash the moto x optimized dalvik and bionic libraries.

Also, I love the 'qemu.hw.mainkeys=1' to remove the menu buttons at the bottom.

merv69

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest installing Xposed Framework and also Xblast tools which gives you lots of interesting tweaks. While you cannot use ART with XF you can flash the moto x optimized dalvik and bionic libraries.

Also, I love the 'qemu.hw.mainkeys=1' to remove the menu buttons at the bottom.

Thanks man. Any links BTW. If not I'll have to search it.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks man. Any links BTW. If not I'll have to search it.

Hey, np!

The link to Xposed Framework: [FRAMEWORK ONLY!] Xposed - ROM modding without modifying APKs (2.4.1)(02.12.2013) - xda-developers - From here you download modules within the app. And with the qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 simply download a root file explorer app of your choice, navigate to system/build.prop and right at the bottom type the line 'qemu.hw.mainkeys=1', save and reboot (make sure you have some sort of pie controls enabled so you can navigate.

Edit: Forgot to include the dalvik libraries - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2537299

Hope this helped,
p3ntyne

merv69

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Alright guys, thanks a lot. Installed all the above except dalvik libraries. Just out of curiosity, if I wanted to remove one of the mods in the op, say the battery percentage or reboot menu, how do I do this? The reason I ask is because the xposed framework with gravity box has some of these mods already. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Sorry guys I figured it out, checked the original OP. Thanks anyways.

Posted via my LG Nexus 5...

Last edited:

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
What's the difference battery drain wise using ART vs the Xposed Framework (with and without the MotoX Dalvik)?

I'm curious if I want to mostly leave the phone alone with ART or play with it with Xposed, but so far I'm very happy with the ART battery life.

wardawgmalvicious

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
What's the difference battery drain wise using ART vs the Xposed Framework (with and without the MotoX Dalvik)?

I'm curious if I want to mostly leave the phone alone with ART or play with it with Xposed, but so far I'm very happy with the ART battery life.

I haven't been able to play around with ART unfortunately. I love my xposed modules way to much, especially with gravity box.

I am curious though, how is your battery life compared to when you were on Dalvik? Also are you running a custom kernel or anything?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I am curious though, how is your battery life compared to when you were on Dalvik? Also are you running a custom kernel or anything?
I can get 2-3 days on a single charge with "light" use with Art (3-4 hours of screen time over said period). 3 days is stretching it, but unplugging it one day to plugging it in the next day is hardly a stretch. Battery Widget Reborn has me getting 1 day, 8 hours per charge, but it says my phone takes 4 hours to charge, which I know is off, so I don't know how much to trust that.. It was worse on Dalvik, but I hadn't finished optimizing the phone when I swapped. I might be able to stretch it further if I turned off Google Now.

Do keep in mind though, I keep the phone on 3G (Sprint) unless I need data (which isn't that often when I don't have wifi), and don't do a lot of stuff data wise with it regularly.

wardawgmalvicious

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I can get 2-3 days on a single charge with "light" use with Art (3-4 hours of screen time over said period). 3 days is stretching it, but unplugging it one day to plugging it in the next day is hardly a stretch. Battery Widget Reborn has me getting 1 day, 8 hours per charge, but it says my phone takes 4 hours to charge, which I know is off, so I don't know how much to trust that.. It was worse on Dalvik, but I hadn't finished optimizing the phone when I swapped. I might be able to stretch it further if I turned off Google Now.

Do keep in mind though, I keep the phone on 3G (Sprint) unless I need data (which isn't that often when I don't have wifi), and don't do a lot of stuff data wise with it regularly.

Hmm that sounds pretty good lol, mine varies, I use my phone pretty heavily, I wonder how it would go.

I appreciate you going in depth with your experience and usage with it.

-wardawgmalvicious
Rooted N5/N7 2nd Gen
MultiROM TWRP
Franco Kernel
Stock 4.4.2 infused with GB
Ubuntu Touch r206
-Sent using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member