Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Rooting and OTAs

    I'm rooted using the Wug fresh toolkit and I want to no what to expect when I get the 4.4.1 ota? Will it update and loose root and have to root again or will the update just not work (like what happened with my galaxy nexus) ? If the update doesn't work is the best way around it to unroot first using Wugfresh, do the ota and then re root? I'm running stock 4.4 with no mods.

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Rooting and OTAs

    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Mayfield View Post
    I'm rooted using the Wug fresh toolkit and I want to no what to expect when I get the 4.4.1 ota? Will it update and loose root and have to root again or will the update just not work (like what happened with my galaxy nexus) ? If the update doesn't work is the best way around it to unroot first using Wugfresh, do the ota and then re root? I'm running stock 4.4 with no mods.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Hello,
    Yes you most likely will lose the root. You should revert to a stock rom without root if you want to update.
    Good luck,
    Matt
    If I helped hit that thanks button
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Rooting and OTAs

    So even if I'm running completely stock 4.4 would I still have to unroot to get the ota to work properly? Is it risky to try doing the ota while still having root or will I just get an error?

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  
    Canuckfan's Avatar

    Posts
    149 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 JellyBro | Franco M5

    Default Re: Rooting and OTAs

    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Mayfield View Post
    So even if I'm running completely stock 4.4 would I still have to unroot to get the ota to work properly? Is it risky to try doing the ota while still having root or will I just get an error?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Being rooted/unlocked shouldn't stop you from getting notified and updating through OTA. You will just lose root after updating.

    I've read that even TWRP can now take normal OTA updates but I've never done it that way. Way quicker to just flash the OTA.zip.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Rooting and OTAs

    Ok thanks I'm new to all this so it's a bit confusing but I need root access for an app so I might as well try learn this stuff. So what does having a custom recover like TWRP actually achieve? Can you put the update file straight on the phone and flash it without a computer?

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,743 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Rooting and OTAs

    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Mayfield View Post
    Ok thanks I'm new to all this so it's a bit confusing but I need root access for an app so I might as well try learn this stuff. So what does having a custom recover like TWRP actually achieve? Can you put the update file straight on the phone and flash it without a computer?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Custom recoveries have advanced features, such as a complete image backup (Nandroid) of the device which can be saved and restored at a later date. This is extremely useful if you run into issues and want to restore a working ROM. Other features include the ability to format specific partitions.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Rooting and OTAs

    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckfan View Post
    Being rooted/unlocked shouldn't stop you from getting notified and updating through OTA. You will just lose root after updating.

    I've read that even TWRP can now take normal OTA updates but I've never done it that way. Way quicker to just flash the OTA.zip.
    Yes, TWRP will. Just updated using OTA, but you'll lose root and custom recovery. Your best to flash the OTA.zip.

Similar Threads

  1. New Nexus 7 and Kit Kat 4.4 crashing during sleep?
    By Dave Woods in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2013, 08:49 AM
  2. Kasperksky and S3 update to 4.3
    By jerprinzen in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 in Canada (Bell/Telus/Rogers)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 11:24 AM
  3. Root gone wrong
    By Jared Mayfield in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 08:44 AM
  4. slowwww dataaa and heats up. help.
    By izohn in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 01:09 AM
  5. Random Screen Off and Power Off
    By neurotoxiq in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-08-2013, 01:17 PM

Posting Permissions

B