OVERCLOCK'n!

krifor03

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone running overclock? The latest franco kernel will let you go up to 3 GHz, but I'm no pioneer. So has anyone ramped up yet? Pluses? Negatives? Incredibly AWESOME findings? O_O

Nexus 5 4.4.2
Got sideload?

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone running overclock? The latest franco kernel will let you go up to 3 GHz, but I'm no pioneer. So has anyone ramped up yet? Pluses? Negatives? Incredibly AWESOME findings? O_O

Nexus 5 4.4.2
Got sideload?

I would not suggest overclocking. Not even the slightest. Stick to stock CPU frequencies. Think about how small of a space you are working with.

When we over clock PCs, we get larger heat sinks, fans, etc. You dont have that luxury with a phone.

There is a video of a guy who fried his phone overclocking it.

The n5 is plenty fast. Stick to using custom kernels for sleep to wake features , double tap , etc.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the latest Franco Kernel and have not overclocked. It's good for those people wanting more out of the device.

Op, have you?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

krifor03

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm using the latest Franco Kernel and have not overclocked. It's good for those people wanting more out of the device.

Op, have you?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

No, I'm on r20 as well, but I'm scared of the potential deadly consequences. I'm looking for someone else that doesn't mind being a guinea pig :)

Nexus 5 4.4.2
Got sideload?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
No, I'm on r20 as well, but I'm scared of the potential deadly consequences. I'm looking for someone else that doesn't mind being a guinea pig :)

Nexus 5 4.4.2
Got sideload?
Honestly, if you Overclock a little you'll be good. If it's incrementally cranked up to a point that the device starts to reboot then that's an indicator that it's set to high. Also keep an eye on heat. If it gets abnormally hot then it should be lowered.

Personally, I don't feel a need to OC the Nexus 5 since it sits really smooth where it's at with the default settings included with Franco Kernel. I used to OC my Heroc, GS2 and Tab 10.1 (OG) and never had problems if the OC was kept conservative. Still, you do run the risk of negative effects if you decide to kick the device up a notch.

krifor03

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, if you Overclock a little you'll be good. If it's incrementally cranked up to a point that the device starts to reboot then that's an indicator that it's set to high. Also keep an eye on heat. If it gets abnormally hot then it should be lowered.

Personally, I don't feel a need to OC the Nexus 5 since it sits really smooth where it's at with the default settings included with Franco Kernel. I used to OC my Heroc, GS2 and Tab 10.1 (OG) and never had problems if the OC was kept conservative. Still, you do run the risk of negative effects if you decide to kick the device up a notch.

I'll probably mess around because I can. The unknown is always a fun place to visit

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'll probably mess around because I can. The unknown is always a fun place to visit
Yes it is. And remember to keep a backup (Nandroid) or kernel .zip file on the sd card just in case you need to restore or flash a new kernel via Recovery.

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I just get this overclocking on phones.....The phone is fast enough as stock. Creating more heat is not good for the battery. I guess the only reason to oc is for benchmarks???? Maybe getting that extra FPS on candy crush?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I just get this overclocking on phones.....The phone is fast enough as stock. Creating more heat is not good for the battery. I guess the only reason to oc is for benchmarks???? Maybe getting that extra FPS on candy crush?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
There's always more to be desired :) I'm happy with the phone. However, others are not and wish to have it even faster even if it means cranking up the clock-speed.

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Currently running 2980MHz (3GHz) on my N5. Have been since about a week after release. No problems. Using thermal throttling to stop it getting too hot and on a custom governor to stop it raising the bar for silly tasks.