I want to root, but how do I deal with..

BlackLS3

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
..OTAs and losing root? I want to minimize the BS whenever there is an update, and it seems like rooted users always lose root when they install updates. What is the easiest way for me to manage this? The main reason I feel I've been pushed to root is because Google has now blocked AppOps functionality in 4.4.2. I'm fast losing patience with (stock) Android and it lack of progress with its permission abilities. Other than AppOpsX and a couple of other popular root apps, I'm not going to be doing much modification. I also don't want to be in a position where an update takes away root, therefore taking away AppOpsX ability to block permissions I've revoked and opening up things like my contact list to apps that have no business seeing it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes that is true once you receive an OTA update it breaks root, but with a Nexus its really not hard to obtain root again.

TBH, rooting process from start to finish on a Nexus once you do it a time or two literally takes under 5 minutes of your time.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, rooting after the update is no different than it was the first time around. However, since you are rooted and bootloader unlocked, you can just install a custom ROM of the latest ota without having to loose root.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

BlackLS3

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I just rooted manually and it was surprisingly smooth. So smooth that I don't see how using a toolkit would be anything but marginally more convenient. Since I am new to this, can somebody articulate the security implications of using the bootloader unlocked (especially if somebody gets access to my encrypted phone)? Am I correct in understanding that I can now lock it now that I have rooted, but re-rooting would require me to unlock it again and wipe the device?

BlackLS3

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a follow-up question here. I did some research on the unlocked bootloader security issue and decided to apply the stock 4.2.2 recovery image. I then scrolled into "Recovery Mode" and saw the opened Android with the "!" red triangle above it. What does that mean? I then successfully re-locked the bootloader and everything came up fine.

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I just rooted manually and it was surprisingly smooth. So smooth that I don't see how using a toolkit would be anything but marginally more convenient. Since I am new to this, can somebody articulate the security implications of using the bootloader unlocked (especially if somebody gets access to my encrypted phone)? Am I correct in understanding that I can now lock it now that I have rooted, but re-rooting would require me to unlock it again and wipe the device?
Yes. Anytime you lock, then unlock the Boot Loader it wipes your device.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
With an unlocked bootloader you do open up to the possibility of malware being installed on to the device and other security issues that may arise from downloading and installing apps via unauthorized resources, i.e. Play Store, Amazon, etc. As long as you practice good use of your device, just as you would a Windows machine or Mac, then you won't have any issues.

The key is to be savvy with what you with the device now that you are unlocked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa