Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EnigmaticPsychotic
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I want to root, but how do I deal with..

..OTAs and losing root? I want to minimize the BS whenever there is an update, and it seems like rooted users always lose root when they install updates. What is the easiest way for me to manage this? The main reason I feel I've been pushed to root is because Google has now blocked AppOps functionality in 4.4.2. I'm fast losing patience with (stock) Android and it lack of progress with its permission abilities. Other than AppOpsX and a couple of other popular root apps, I'm not going to be doing much modification. I also don't want to be in a position where an update takes away root, therefore taking away AppOpsX ability to block permissions I've revoked and opening up things like my contact list to apps that have no business seeing it.

Default Re: I want to root, but how do I deal with..

Yes that is true once you receive an OTA update it breaks root, but with a Nexus its really not hard to obtain root again.

TBH, rooting process from start to finish on a Nexus once you do it a time or two literally takes under 5 minutes of your time.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Yes, rooting after the update is no different than it was the first time around. However, since you are rooted and bootloader unlocked, you can just install a custom ROM of the latest ota without having to loose root.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks. I just rooted manually and it was surprisingly smooth. So smooth that I don't see how using a toolkit would be anything but marginally more convenient. Since I am new to this, can somebody articulate the security implications of using the bootloader unlocked (especially if somebody gets access to my encrypted phone)? Am I correct in understanding that I can now lock it now that I have rooted, but re-rooting would require me to unlock it again and wipe the device?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I have a follow-up question here. I did some research on the unlocked bootloader security issue and decided to apply the stock 4.2.2 recovery image. I then scrolled into "Recovery Mode" and saw the opened Android with the "!" red triangle above it. What does that mean? I then successfully re-locked the bootloader and everything came up fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLS3 View Post
    Thanks. I just rooted manually and it was surprisingly smooth. So smooth that I don't see how using a toolkit would be anything but marginally more convenient. Since I am new to this, can somebody articulate the security implications of using the bootloader unlocked (especially if somebody gets access to my encrypted phone)? Am I correct in understanding that I can now lock it now that I have rooted, but re-rooting would require me to unlock it again and wipe the device?
    Yes. Anytime you lock, then unlock the Boot Loader it wipes your device.
    Nexus 6 - Unlocked bootloader - Rooted - Stock Lollipop
    Samsung Chromebook - Chrome OS - Ubuntu dual boot

Previous:
    Nexus 5 - Unlocked Bootloader- Rooted - Stock Lollipop
    Nexus 4 - Unlocked Bootloader- Rooted - Stock
    HTC Inspire 4G - Unlocked Bootloader - Rooted - GB ASOP
    TheDitherer likes this.

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

With an unlocked bootloader you do open up to the possibility of malware being installed on to the device and other security issues that may arise from downloading and installing apps via unauthorized resources, i.e. Play Store, Amazon, etc. As long as you practice good use of your device, just as you would a Windows machine or Mac, then you won't have any issues.

The key is to be savvy with what you with the device now that you are unlocked.