Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just rooted...now what?

I just rooted using the Nexus Root Tookit but now i'm unsure what I can do and where to download roms? What are the best roms and is there a comparison of features?

Also, where do I download apps? (for ex., Cydia on iphone) Are there any apps I can download to reduce cpu clock speeds so my battery life improves?

Default Re: Just rooted...now what?

Don't bother with ROMs - instead, get Xposed Framework from XDA & a bunch of Modules from within the Xposed App itself.
    Xposed w/ Modules pretty much allows you to have the best features of other custom ROMs without requiring the ROMs themselves.
    Be sure to get GravityBox & XHaloFloatingWindow Modules.
    Then, to get back to stock (for when Google pushes out an OTA update) it's simple - just uninstall the Xposed Framework data (a button within the App itself) & reboot. That's it. If you installed BusyBox Apps you'll need it uninstall its data from within its App too.

You also might want to try another kernel such as Franco. To apply an OTA update you'll need to return to stock also, but that's a one-click process with WugsFresh Nexus Toolkit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Got Xposed and made some small changes. Pretty intuitive.

I also got Franco and downloaded the premium version but I messed up my CPU controls changing something. How do I go back to default CPU settings? I didn't see a 'reset all' in the settings menu…

Also, have you tried 'Fast Charge' on your Nexus 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Rishi Bhatia View Post
    ...I messed up my CPU controls changing something. How do I go back to default CPU settings?
    Also, have you tried 'Fast Charge' on your Nexus 5?
    If you didn't backup within the App prior to changing...not sure. Just uninstall the App & reflash the Kernel, hopefully that'll revert it to its default settings.

Yup, Fast Charge works great!

I'd recommend checking out the Franco Kernel Google+ Community for tips on tweaks to maximize its setting.

Global Posts
    9,094 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

If you haven't installed a custom recovery (cwm or TWRP) then make a backup. This will be good for you to restore just in case something goes wrong and you need a good file to restore.

How are you liking Franco Kernel?

Also, where do I download apps? (for ex., Cydia on iphone) Are there any apps I can download to reduce cpu clock speeds so my battery life improves?
    You don't need to root or jailbreak to install apps on Android. Google PlayStore or Amazon work. You can use FDroid to install open source apps. I advise against shady sources to get your app.

Install TWRP recovery first and learn how it work, then try installing a custom kernel like Franco kernel. Try out Xposed Framework. Stick with stock for now. Be careful with what root program you install on your phone.

By the way, I won't get into specific details, but most root changes you make to the phone will make it no longer compatible with Google OTA updates.

If you have no intention of rooting and don't know what to do with it, its better to stay stock and not root.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I'm on Franco and I also installed Xposed. Battery life is phenomenal. I'm at 8% battery, with 22h 15m. Screen on time is a little low at 2h 47min but i have crappy coverage at work, so it's understandable. I don't think my iphone 5 could ever last me this long.

I installed GravityBox which is kinda cool, some cool tweaks which I enabled using.

I believe i'm using TWRP, but i'm not sure how to create a back-up. I'll have to look into that a little later today.

Yeah, the battery life with franco kernel is awesome (in conjunction with CM 11), I got 1d 16h on battery with 4h on screen time with 3% left!

I am also running TWRP 2.6.3.4 and I believe when you boot into it, one of the options (on the left I believe) says backup. Tap that, select what you want to backup (cache, system etc.) and swipe. If you are installing a new ROM etc. you can plug a USB drive in and backup to and later restore from that.

I get usually 5-6 SOT w/ 10hrs of usage.
    I still need to recharge mid-day but with 6hrs of SOT it's to be expected.
    That's typically my weekend stats though.

On a work day I typically get 3hrs of SOT w/ 18hrs of usage & that's definitely acceptable for me.
    It's double what I got on my stock N4 & about a 30% increase what I got on my stock N5.

Franco & Xposed are all I need and more than justify ROOT, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    I get usually 5-6 SOT w/ 10hrs of usage.
    I still need to recharge mid-day but with 6hrs of SOT it's to be expected.
    That's typically my weekend stats though.

On a work day I typically get 3hrs of SOT w/ 18hrs of usage & that's definitely acceptable for me.
    It's double what I got on my stock N4 & about a 30% increase what I got on my stock N5.

Franco & Xposed are all I need and more than justify ROOT, for me.

Wow! How do you get that much screen on time - I have only gotten 5h 13m max. Have you tampered with the franco kernel settings or something like that?

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Don't forget adaway

Can you overclock with the franco kernel?

This is a signature

I find your lack of faith in android disturbing.

Global Posts
    9,094 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by darth android View Post

This is a signature

Yes. I'm pretty sure you can OC up to 3k. Though, it's going to be highly unstable. I don't think he removed that feature from the device.

This is a signature

Yes, you can over clock the nexus 5 to 3014MHz with Franco Kernel Updater as long as you have the full version however, it'll greatly impact your battery life and potentially overheat the phone especially at 3GHz.

Posted via Android Central App

All right I reading, show me a video with the difference to CWM OR ROOM? Please.

Enviado desde mi GT-P6200L mediante Tapatalk

Does the franco kernel also work with the 2013 n7?

This is a signature

Does the franco kernel also work with the 2013 n7?

This is a signature

Yes, it works very well with the nexus 7 and I definitely recommend it to get better battery life/toggle important setting/overclock CPU (if you wish) especially is you spend a few $'s on the full version.

I just rooted using the Nexus Root Tookit but now i'm unsure what I can do and where to download roms? What are the best roms and is there a comparison of features?

It sounds like you're going to be doing a lot of changes to your nexus 7 I'd recommend doing a nandroid backup if you've not already done one , and if you don't know how reboot into recovery and click on backup it takes a few minutes but defo worth it

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..

My benchmark score with the Franco kernel coming up.