1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Coloured status and bottom bar.

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the colour of the status bar icons and the three icons in the bar on the bottom of the screen (to blue specifically). If it matters, I have a rooted Nexus 5 with CM 11 and Franco Kernel.

Thank you,

p3ntyne

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Coloured status and bottom bar.

I haven't used AOKP roms for a while, but last time I used them I'm pretty sure you could change the colors of the nav bar icons (bottom icons) and the status bar icons -- or at least some of them. The reason I stopped using AOKP was I found them pretty resouce-heavy on my poor Gnex. The N5 should easily have the muscle to run AOKP.
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by dancing-bass View Post
    I haven't used AOKP roms for a while, but last time I used them I'm pretty sure you could change the colors of the nav bar icons (bottom icons) and the status bar icons -- or at least some of them. The reason I stopped using AOKP was I found them pretty resouce-heavy on my poor Gnex. The N5 should easily have the muscle to run AOKP.
    I am a little confused, is cm an aokp rom or is it a separate rom all together? Do you know of an app that would change the colour instead?

Let me clear things up a little bit, it's easy to see how you got confused.

AOSP stands for Android Open Souce Project. This is the code that almost all custom ROMs are based off of. This is the base, and each developer can customize it to create ROMs.
    AOKP stands for Android Open Kang Project. This is a custom ROM, (just like CM is a custom ROM). It's just a silly name they chose, partly because it is based of AOSP.

As for an app that can make the changes you want, you could try a custom launcher, or a different ROM. The nice thing about Android (especially if you're rooted) is the customization is almost unlimited! Make a backup, and start trying stuff out!
    But i'm alright

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

You might have to wait for a little while while all of the custom rom devs get all of their features ported to kitkat.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Let me clear things up a little bit, it's easy to see how you got confused.

AOSP stands for Android Open Souce Project. This is the code that almost all custom ROMs are based off of. This is the base, and each developer can customize it to create ROMs.
    AOKP stands for Android Open Kang Project. This is a custom ROM, (just like CM is a custom ROM). It's just a silly name they chose, partly because it is based of AOSP.

As for an app that can make the changes you want, you could try a custom launcher, or a different ROM. The nice thing about Android (especially if you're rooted) is the customization is almost unlimited! Make a backup, and start trying stuff out!
    Thanks for that, I might look for a new ROM. The only problem is that I can't figure out how to backup my phone, and then restore it. Do I do it with an app or with my recovery?

There are apps for that, even computer software (Wugs Nexus Toolkit). Titanium backup used to be the most popular but I've seen a lot of good things said about Helium. For me, all my important docs and photos are synced to the cloud with Google Drive, so I don't worry about those (although I do copy my photos over to my PC anyway). I use SMS Backup and Restore to backup my text messages. Music I have stored on my computer anyway, so that's easy enough to copy back. And apps.... well, the remainder of my app data usually isn't important enough that I worry about loosing it. After I install a ROM I just let Google Play restore my apps, copy my music and photos back, and then log into my apps again.

Titanium does do a good job of backing everything up, if you do it app by app. Batch backup (for me) seems to fail or improperly restore more then it works properly.

Once you've got a backup file either through recovery or another app, make sure you copy it to your computer just in case!

If you do try a new ROM you will have to do a factory wipe from within your recovery. Make sure to follow the exact steps that the developer says to do -- otherwise bad things can happen.

Final note: There are many many ROMs out there. Each one is unique, each one is different. Some are based off of CM (which is based off of AOSP). Others are based off of AOKP. Some are very stock looking and feeling, without a lot of customization available. Others allow you to tweak almost anything. The top 3 (in no order) seem to be CM, AOKP, and PA (Paranoid Android). Personally I like the AOKP becacuse it has a ton of customization, but it's slightly less stable and more resource hungry then CM. CM is stable, fast, but lacks some customization features of AOKP. And PA generally doesn't stay on my phone very long. I just personally don't see the appeal of it, but many others love it and will use nothing else! I guess my point is to make a "clean" backup, before you do any changes. After that as long as you've got a good backup, flash ROMs to your heart's content. Try stuff out and keep track of what you like and don't like....

If AOKP could build their ROMs as stable and easy on resources as CM, I think that would be PERFECT for me.
    But i'm alright

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

There are apps for that, even computer software (Wugs Nexus Toolkit). Titanium backup used to be the most popular but I've seen a lot of good things said about Helium. For me, all my important docs and photos are synced to the cloud with Google Drive, so I don't worry about those (although I do copy my photos over to my PC anyway). I use SMS Backup and Restore to backup my text messages. Music I have stored on my computer anyway, so that's easy enough to copy back. And apps.... well, the remainder of my app data usually isn't important enough that I worry about loosing it. After I install a ROM I just let Google Play restore my apps, copy my music and photos back, and then log into my apps again.

Titanium does do a good job of backing everything up, if you do it app by app. Batch backup (for me) seems to fail or improperly restore more then it works properly.

Once you've got a backup file either through recovery or another app, make sure you copy it to your computer just in case!

If you do try a new ROM you will have to do a factory wipe from within your recovery. Make sure to follow the exact steps that the developer says to do -- otherwise bad things can happen.

Final note: There are many many ROMs out there. Each one is unique, each one is different. Some are based off of CM (which is based off of AOSP). Others are based off of AOKP. Some are very stock looking and feeling, without a lot of customization available. Others allow you to tweak almost anything. The top 3 (in no order) seem to be CM, AOKP, and PA (Paranoid Android). Personally I like the AOKP becacuse it has a ton of customization, but it's slightly less stable and more resource hungry then CM. CM is stable, fast, but lacks some customization features of AOKP. And PA generally doesn't stay on my phone very long. I just personally don't see the appeal of it, but many others love it and will use nothing else! I guess my point is to make a "clean" backup, before you do any changes. After that as long as you've got a good backup, flash ROMs to your heart's content. Try stuff out and keep track of what you like and don't like....

If AOKP could build their ROMs as stable and easy on resources as CM, I think that would be PERFECT for me.
    Thx for that post! (Must have taken a bit of time...) Regarding the Google apps backup thing, it didn't do it for me after installing CM so I am still a bit worried but like you said, there is not really a lot of app data on local storage anymore - once you sign in, everything is back from the cloud!

By app data, I meant app-specific data. For example, saved game data or log-in data. If you don't back up your app data, you'll loose any progress in your game and have to start again. I hardly play games (phone, PC, or game system) so for me its far less of a concern. But as far as apps themselves, I usually flash ROMs on a weekend, where I'm not relying on my phone as much. Its no problem to let it sit and pull in apps from Google Play, and then log in to everything.

As far as recoveries, I prefer TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) over CWMR (Clockwork Mod Recovery). I just did a backup, wiped everything, restored the backup, and it seems to have worked flawlessly.
    But i'm alright

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yeah, that is what I meant. Once you log into Google, app your apps reload and then all you have to do is sign in to them again.

I also prefer TWRP as well.

Global Posts
    6,757 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

If you are using CM11 the might be themes available for install with these mods. Otherwise, you'll need to go in and edit the necessary files, which is beyond my knowledge to help you with.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app