1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting Benefits

Switched to Android less than two weeks ago.
    Wondering now how to root the phone and what rooting is useful for.
    I am totally new in rooting, so excuse me if my questions are stupid or wrong. I need to study a bit more!

I also switched from the iPhone two weeks ago, I later rooted and I am really enjoying the experience. Simply, rooting gives you certain permissions that you wouldn't otherwise have. You can install new kernels for better battery, new ROMs for more features and you can customize your nexus 5 even more than you already can with stock, un-rooted android.

As for how to root, you can decide whether you want to do it manually or using a toolkit however, I suggest that you should study a little and do it manually (especially if you are on a Mac.)

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Rooting Benefits

Yes, I am on a Mac.
    Any idea where can I study?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

If you are going to do it manually, I suggest this video:

You can download all the necessary utilities from the links in the description although, I suggest downloading the latest version of twrp (2.6.3.4) and replacing it with the one in the toolkit as 2.3.6.2 cannot wipe Nexus 5's (bug)

If you decide to do it, good luck!

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Here are a few of my favorite tweaks that required rooting. (You'll notice I like Tasker)

1. Using Tasker - When I open Maps GPS is set to High Accuracy and when I close Maps GPS gets set back to battery saving.
    2. Using Tasker- When connect to WiFi SSIDs that I give Tasker permission to not need a slide pattern.
    but when I am not connected to one of those WiFi SSIDs it turns the slide pattern back on to lock my screen.
    3. Greenify- sleeps apps when they are not in use so they don't use any processing and save battery. I use it mostly on Social Media apps (Don't use on messaging apps or alarm clocks!)

You need to be rooted for on #2 to have access to the slide pattern.

There is obviously a ton more you can do with rooting, but these are my favorite I have found so far.
    ~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Being able to backup your Apps manually, installing improved Kernels and being able to have more control of what the device is doing is why I root. I have had the itch to install a custom ROM since the stock ROM with Franco Kernel has been pleasing to use. But sooner or later I'll have the itch to do so and knowing I can is great.